I-385 Expansion

Greenville

I have two questions about the I-385 expansion. Widening it to 6 lanes was certainly a good move, and much-needed. However, I have wondered about a couple of issues related to that and hope you guys can help me.

1. Since widening bridges is such an issue (anyone who uses Stone/Laurens during rush hour can surely attest to this!), are they leaving enough room to expand to 8 lanes if/when it is necessary? I surely hope so, because it seems obvious to do so at this juncture when everyone is already inconvenienced.

2. There has been talk of light rail in Greenville, and at the very least a rail from GSP International to downtown. I assume that part of such a rail would run along the median of I-385 into downtown. Are they leaving room for something like that in the middle?

These are issues that may not be important now, but certainly will be in the future. What do you guys know about this, and more importantly, what do you think?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Since widening bridges is such an issue (anyone who uses Stone/Laurens during rush hour can surely attest to this!), are they leaving enough room to expand to 8 lanes if/when it is necessary?  I surely hope so, because it seems obvious to do so at this juncture when everyone is already inconvenienced.

They did this when they widened I-85, and I think they are doing it for 385 as well.

2. There has been talk of light rail in Greenville, and at the very least a rail from GSP International to downtown.  I assume that part of such a rail would run along the median of I-385 into downtown.  Are they leaving room for something like that in the middle?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so. Most of 385 in the urbanized areas has a concrete barrier rather than a median. The LRT will run down an old rail line that prallels 385 somewhat.

I think that planning for the future is very important. If you can do something now that will benefit the area layer, then it should be done. Rail is something that all cities need sooner or later, so they are taking the right steps.

Archived