San Marco Riverwalk

RiversideGator

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article about mix-use. It even mentioned one of Publix's urban stores. I really hope the retail aspect of the San Marco project is accessable to all of downtown, and connected to the urban fabric. I'd like to see the school board move, so that area could become more urban and walkable.

I've heard reports that construction on one of the towers for San Marco Riverwalk is supposed to begin late summer or early fall, but I was wondering if this project has actually already been approved? Is the San Marco Riverwalk still in the planning stages? Furthermore, I haven't really heard much about this project ever since it was released to the public. Does anyone know exactly the status of this project? Thanks.

The only San Marco Riverwalk tower planned for this year is the 9 story hotel, at the NE corner of Hendricks and Prudential Drive.  Earlier this year, the developer stated it break ground in the Summer, but I haven't seen any news on it since.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any renderings of this?

I'm concerned it will look like the hampton inn over there (an island in a sea of parking), or will it be - dare I say it - urban style?

The original 3 phase schedule (based off the original article) for development, at the San Marco Riverwalk site:

southbank.jpg

Phase 1

9 story/200 unit Hotel - Summer 2005 (block 5)

Phase 2

35 story condo tower (old Crawdaddy's site) - January 2006 (tower 1)

30 story condo tower (Charthouse site) - January 2007 (tower 2)

28 story condo tower/grocery (north of new hotel) - 2007 or 2008 (tower 6)

Phase 3

Final two 35 story condo towers (demolish existing hotel) - 2011 (tower 4 & 3)

Of course, it's always a good rule of thumb to add at least 1-2 years on any original timeframe estimate from a developer ;)

Also, the developers said they wanted to demolish the charthouse for tower #2; however, I don't think they have the legal right to do so. But even so ... it seems to me that they could build tower #2 without having to knock down charthouse. The adjacent parking lot seems big enough.

This is a good article containing more information regarding this massive project:  http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/st.../13/focus1.html

I wonder what the time frame is though.  Anyone know??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

kind of off-topic, but been wondering and this is a good example...

just curious...everyone used to post the whole article and i always wondered about the abuse of copyright laws on the site, so i would list the source and a link to the source...now everyone is posting just the first few sentences of the article and the full link (as it should be)....my question is, what prompted the change? did an admin lay down the law or something?

kind of off-topic, but been wondering and this is a good example...

just curious...everyone used to post the whole article and i always wondered about the abuse of copyright laws on the site, so i would list the source and a link to the source...now everyone is posting just the first few sentences of the article and the full link (as it should be)....my question is, what prompted the change?  did an admin lay down the law or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10662

^Basically, a couple of moderators felt we were violating copyright laws and changed the forum rules to prohibit it. Now its been stated that posting a couple of sentences from articles and then providing the source is risky as well. So from this point, its probably best to just post a title and link and leave it at that.

We can quote pieces from the articles, a few sentences, with no violation of copywright so long as a link is given to the source.

Same rules apply for any copywright such as music (You can play a small portion without having to pay royalties) and movies.

Our current method is valid.

Its legal and valid but some of UP's top moderators still don't approve of it and have been known to delete entire threads due to one finding one post that goes against what they believe is the rule. This has already happened in the Miami forum a couple of times. Unfortunately, since I don't have any control over this issue, I'd suggest just only posting the link to safe ourselves the trouble and potentially running off good members.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a rendering of the finished product:

43453_400.jpg

If you look closely you can kind of see the top of the proposed hotel.  Unfortunately, this is a longer term project so we probably wont see much from this site for a while.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these towers look very very cool, but kind of un-jax like; looks like something akin to West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami; but I won't grumble and groan, we'll take them! I just wish they would grace the skyline sooner but I guess the demand is not immediately there to build them quickly like in South Florida.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

They'd look at home in Riverside?? We might have a little problem with scale here. :D

As to the designs, I think the towers arent bad. As to looking like S FL, it isnt like they are stucco. I think they are just your standard modern skyscrapers. I especially like the ones with the pyramid structures on top. Either way, I will be happy if any progress is made on that site, no matter the design.

They'd look at home in Riverside??  We might have a little problem with scale here.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, they are a bit taller but their design is similar to many in Riverside and being residential, they would add greatly to the mix. Granted, I'll still take them on the Southbank.

One interesting thing about the towers. The bottom 5 stories have a much larger footprint than the rest of the tower. This is where the parking garge for the tower is going to be. Wrapped around the parking garages, they plan on building multistory townhouses. I have seen renderings of the towers from street level and the townhouses look pretty cool. I think they plan to have street level retail below at least one of the towers. This retail would include the pocket-sized supermarket.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard anything more about this project (San Marco Riverwalk Village)? Any word on a website about the project or any other professional info that we can draw from? Would appreciate anything. I know one tower will be going up very, very soon in the east portion of the property.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• 1 month later...

Archived