Kansas City will be one of the top in mid-west

KCDT

Kansas City will be one of the top cities in the mid-west in three years. We are putting billions of dollars into our downtown and across the city. We are building a state of the art performing arts center, a state of the art arena, state of the art H&R Block headquarters, and thousands of condos downtown. But nobody seems to give KC any credit, C'mon, everybody, our downtown is more beautiful and more bigger than STL's downtown. The only reason why STL gets more credit than KC is because of their arch. STL people say's that KC seems like a small town, but how is that when our city is bigger than theirs. KC has great history too, KC, CHI, and New York were some of the most visited cities in the thirties because of classy jazz and Mafia regimes. For the people out there downing KC, look out, cause we're building everything, KC will truly be, and I mean truly be one of the most recongnized cities in America.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A ) You don't know what the hell you're talking about

B ) Downtown St. Louis is significantly bigger than downtown KC, with a lot more to do as well

C ) You don't know what the hell you're talking about

D ) So KC has a bigger city pop than STL, big deal. Jacksonville has a bigger city population than Boston. Is Jacksonville a bigger city? No. Metro population is all that matters, and STL is almost twice the size of little KC. Let's not even talk about density, you will be embarrassed.

E ) You don't know what the hell you're talking about

F ) STL has a lot more over KC than just the Arch, come on how old are you

G ) You don't know what the hell you're talking about

H ) The mere fact that you are comparing KC to STL exposes what an inferiority complex you people have. Deep down you know you can't compete, but it makes you feel better to try.

I ) You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

:)

btw, KC does feel a lot smaller than STL because it is.

Metro KC: 1.90 million

Metro STL: 2.75 million

http://www.demographia.com/db-2004metro.htm

Why don't you worry about surpassing Milwaukee first.

Why do KC people always seem to have an inferiority complex over St. Louis?

My life's mission is to take a few days and visit each city back-to-back in order to discover the truth. From my knowledge, St. Louis has the sophisticated edge over KC, but I would also be very foolish to claim KC isn't a great Midwestern city, which is why I challenge the title of this thread because KC ALREADY IS one of the top in the Midwest.

So jive stl turkey says STL's downtown is bigger than KC's, thats crazy of u to even pucker your lips tp say something like that. STUPID. YAll downtown doesn't even have a building bigger than a KC apartment complex. Thats what STL downtown looks like, an apartmentcomplex of CHICAGO or something. No tall buildings, stinky river, small buildings, KC has one building downtown thats not even our biggest and it'll be bigger than every building in u guys downtown.

the word asinine as defined by www.dictionary.com

1. Utterly stupid or silly: asinine behavior.

2. Of, relating to, or resembling an ass.

This has to be one of the most Juvenile, threads I have ever seen. This is more silly than the debate they are having in the urban discussion forum, under the title " next famous US skyline" where they are debating the finer points of why Charlotte NC is the greatest place on earth. Let's have some intelligent debate. Who cares about St. Lous v. Kansas City.

KC does not have the density of St. Louis, It's three times the land size of the St Louis with out three times the people. St. Lous has a substantially Larger metro area. There is a reason, St. Louis put MO on the map. Kansas City is the largest city in that state. But only because the city government covers five times the land area!!!!

Either way, just take pride in your city, your not going to convince anyone on here that KC is better. It's something akin to the people of Michigan having the debate over Grand Rapids and Detroit. Theres just no comparison.

MJLO, you suck. You have never been to KC, so shut up. How r u going to say KC is less dense when our city, CITY population is bigger. Wherever u r from stay there and shut your stinking trap. Ive been to STL, stl like i said has a downtown thats big as one og chicago's apartment complex. The only thing that makes stl's downtown : is the arch.

you are very nicely showing your youth and ignorance.

density is how tightly packed a city is

kc 318 sq mi with 441k people in it

st louis is only 62sq mi with 320k people in it

i need say no more

The fact is that our city is bigger than STL's city. Metro - doesnt count, the surround cities in metros have their on police, so cut all the metro crap out. City just city, kansas City is bigger, face it. Name one thing other than the arch in STL.

KC and STL are really two different areas and you cannot fault STL for losing so much of its population. White flight, suburban migration, and government policies underming cities have expedited the decline of cities such as St. Louis, Detroit, and a host of others.

I currently live in KC, Kansas right off of I-35 (it looks like a suburb around this area). Anyhow, I have been very impressed with the future developments that will be completed in KC. However, let's not kid ourselves here, KC is years behind getting a downtown to the extent of Portland, Oregon which is what KC should be shooting for as a goal.

To say that St. Louis is crap is a broad generalization. I wasn't particularly impressed with its downtown, but there is progress being made. Also, tall buildings does not equal a great city. Look at the streetlife in KC on a Saturday.....dead. There is a long way to go. I'm rooting for both cities and frankly want to see dense urban areas do well in America.

KC is definitely on the way up with teir developments, and STL is coming back, too. If STL utilizes their waterfront better, then who knows what could develop.

I am glad to see KC is going to put so much money and work into downtown and other areas, because quite frankly- it needs it. I was there for the first time a few months ago, and was just stunned at how trashy everything looked- all along I-70 across the city (downtown area and all the way to the east to the football and baseball stadiums) all that we could see looked nasty and neglected. I will be glad to see the development, it is well deserved as Kansas City is one of the Midwest's great cities!

• 2 weeks later...

KC and St Louis are both top regional cities in the Midwest, nothing more or less.

Neither of them will be Major Players in this Country. St Louis's "HeyDay" was 100 years ago, it will never be a significant city such as it was in that time again. KC never has reached it's potential and probably never will.

KC has a larger "City" population than St Louis, but Metro populations with 2004 estimates are KC with 2 million and St Louis with 2.8 million. St Louis has always been about 600,000-800,000 more in the metro area than KC. St Louis is not twice as large as posted though. Both cities have rich history's with both have more than their fair share of famous people in the country(Celebrities, politicians, etc) KC gave the world President Truman and former US Ambassador Price to the UK. KC wouldn't have hosted as many world figures as it has if it wasn't for the Truman Legacy. A couple of corrections about St Louis though, is that ST Louis wasn't the gateway to the West, the Gateway to the West was Independence and Westport(both in KC), St Louis was smart enough to capitalize on the term "Gateway to the West'' and built it's Arch that will forever tie St Louis with Gateway to the West. Another fact that St Louis doesn't recoginze is that TWA was not a "St Louis" airline, but a Kansas City airline, TWA was born in KC and had most of it's operations for 50 years in KC, it was only the last 20 years or so of TWA that it was associated with St Louis. Another fact that is lost with KC, is that KC is recoginze for it's rich Art Deco heritage. KC's downtown is from the Missouri River to Crown Center. The reason it may not come across as large as St Louis is because KC doesn't have the Sports stadiums downtown and KC's urban shopping, hotels, restaraunts are located 4 miles south of downtown KC in the Plaza district, not in the downtown loop area. Both cities are special to the Midwest. St Louis is comparable to say Cincinnati and KC is comparable to Milwaukee or Indianapolis. Neither KC or St Louis is in the league of Chicago or Dallas or Minneapolis.

Just one quick note, and I do not want to get into an argument over different cities. I agree St. Louis is not Dallas or Chicaogo, but Minneapolis...come on. I think both St. Louis and Minneapolis are cool towns, been to both, and think they are similar in many ways. I realize dt Minneapolis may have a higher pop, but both metros are comparable. To say Minneapolis is a league above is not fair.

Minneapolis/St Paul have 3.8 million in their metro, that's the size of KC and St Louis's metro's combined. The MSP airport handles more flights and passenger and more non-stops around the world than KCI or Lambert combined. They have more Fortune 500 companies headquartered there than all there are in Missouri. The twin cities have more theatres/musuems per capital of any city in the country. MSP I would say our comparable to Detroit (at least in size) Dallas, Atlanta, Houston. The Twin cities are known more throughout the world than either KC or StL.

I think something that has to be considered is that St. Louis needs to count its immediate surrounding communties (that are already very urban to begin with) into the city itself. Maplewood, Richmond Heights, University City, Clayton, Brentwood are examples of Urban neighborhoods, yet are in "st. louis county". Having this huge separation of city and county has hurt how st. louis is viewed. Recently Louisville just merged with its county. And now they are ranked like 16th amoung the most populous cities in America.

I really hope that st. louis county and city will merge, or atleast the urban sub citeis around the downtown and midtown area. I mean has anyone seen clayton these days, its not a bad skyline. Here is a site where u can see clayton http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=102094&aid=3&sro=1

Minneapolis/St Paul have 3.8 million in their metro, that's the size of KC and St Louis's metro's combined.  The MSP airport handles more flights and passenger and more non-stops around the world than KCI or Lambert combined.  They have more Fortune 500 companies headquartered there than all there are in Missouri.  The twin cities have more theatres/musuems per capital of any city in the country.  MSP I would say our comparable to Detroit (at least in size) Dallas, Atlanta, Houston.  The Twin cities are known more throughout the world than either KC or StL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh get over yourself, you don't know what you're talking about. Minneapolis-St. Paul does NOT have 3.8 million in its metro, it has 3.2 million (a big difference there):

Don't lie to prove a point that doesn't exist. It's funny that you say "St. Louis and Kansas City are not in the same league as Minneapolis, Chicago or Dallas"-- as if Minneapolis is in the same league as Chicago! lolololol! Minneapolis is MUCH more comparable to STL than it is to Chicago, you deny that and you just make yourself look foolish. Mpls-StP has about 600,000 more in its metro than STL, an even smaller population disparity than exists between KC and St. Louis. You don't know what you're talking about. Minneapolis is a wonderful city and it has a lot going for it, but it still doesn't compare favorably to STL when it comes to urban fabric, not by a longshot.

"The Twin cities are known more throughout the world than either KC or StL."

^I doubt it.

I agree with Jive, sorry, and again I don't want to knock MSP. However, St. Louis metro is nearing 3 million, I think it's at 2.8 now. From what I know MSP metro hovers around 3. I've been to both city's and St. Louis feels much more urban than MSP...and again I like both. As far as comparing airports, lets not do that. The recent hurt Lambert is feeling is a result of September 11th, Pittsburgh is another major city feeling similar pain. Minneapolis will experience a similar fate if NWA runs into problems, it has nothing to do with the city. In fact St. Louis is regaining flights following the downsizing from American airlines. As far as national and worldwide recognition...hold up a picture of St. Louis, then hold up a picture of Minneapolis, I think more will recognize St. Louis. I realize that's because of the arch, but hey it puts the city in another league. I think anyone who argues one is better than the other is just asking for problems, both are very comparable.

I agree about KC, downtown KC is going to be so drastically changed within the next 2 years. If only KC had the foresight to place the football/baseball (Harry S Truman Sports Complex) downtown, KC would be ahead of Denver in downtown.

KC is a beautiful city with incredible architecture.

By the way, Minneapolis/St Paul's metro population for 2004 was 3.7 million, 900,000 more than St Louis, that's according the US Census estimate for 2004.

Minneapolis/St Paul and Indianapolis are the two fastest growing cities in the Midwest. KC's growth rate is around 6 percent and St Louis is around 4.5 percent.

Your Minneapolis population stats are wrong (where's your source?). I posted the estimates for 2004, and you're way off. Check it again bro. These are the same estimates that the US Census put out in 2004:

I bet you can't come up with a source for your estimates. You know why? Because they aren't true. There is no credible source that would indicate Minneapolis-St. Paul's metro population at 3.7 million. Try to prove me wrong, but you can't. :) You're lying.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived