Kansas City will be one of the top in mid-west

KCDT

en08, your 100% incorrect. STL's Downtown is much more dense than ours, and if you read correctly, STL has over 150 skyscrapers that are built. We have only have about 110 that are built. (but our count is not completed)

STL- 2.8 million people

KC- 2 million people

Downtown population doesn't matter as much as urban area, and they kick our butt in that regard:

STL- 2 million in 2,506 sq. mi.

KC- 1.4 million in 2,330 sq. mi.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also if you go to Emporis.com, it gives the same data about Kansas City-- in terms of number of buildings- it also says 181 tall buildings. Saint Louis is only 93. Although you cannot rate a city in terms of tall buildings, I am talking about the downtown. That is one way to rate it--- by size and density. Saint Louis has a smaller downtown than KC.

^Uhh..that only accounts for the official boundaries of downtown St. Louis, which doesn't include Downtown West, which neighbors downtown and, for all practical purposes, is part of downtown. What is the square mileage of downtown KC vs. downtown STL? I would bet downtown KC encompasses a larger physical area, thereby including more buildings. But in all reality, all you have to do is visit both cities to see which looks and feels like a bigger city.

DOWNTOWN WEST, St. Louis (not officially considered Downtown):

IMG_8437_sized.jpg

Actually jive, According to the official boundaries of DT STL, it's 2.9-3 square miles, and according to the official boundaries of DT KC, it's 2.9 square miles...

The only difference is DT STL is denser but with less people. But once their buildings fill up, they will surpass us in business and population.

Well, kcdevin, we have 178 tall buildings built downtown. It is only showing 85 for STL. Also, I have been to both downtowns, and have looked at extensive photos of the two, and although STL might have more ppl down there, we have more buildings.

Well, kcdevin, we have 178 tall buildings built downtown. It is only showing 85 for STL. Also, I have been to both downtowns, and have looked at extensive photos of the two, and although STL might have more ppl down there, we have more buildings.

Again what does it matter? This is not a site for people to have pissing contests on which city has the most buildings, crime, mcdonalds, or whatever else you want to compare. One of the dullest comparisons I think I see on other sites that start with an S, is "oh my city has X number of 10 story buildings and yours only has Y".

If you want to compare something more substantial in hopes of getting people interested then by all means do so, but stop with picking numbers off websites, that are not accurate anyway, which is a waste of our time here. And you may offer up your opinion but don't pass it off as fact.

...And I can assure you, anyone who visits both cities will see that downtown St. Louis is clearly larger because it has historically been a much larger city and metro area. I don't doubt for a second that KC has more "tall" buildings downtown, but that's beside the point. Number of buildings? Don't even try. There is no comparison.

And I agree with monsoon-- pissing contests about buildings and height is so juvenile.

Archived