• Minneappolis
    • Cleveland
    • Milwakee

• 1 month later...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I get so sick of these side by side comparisons of Detroit and Minne, they are apples and oranges as cities, you guys need to recognize that and stop having these retarded pissing contests over it. Who friggen cares. I'm sure all the people in your homelives would just get giddy with excitement if you started in on one of these in person. The title of this thread is best midwest downtown. Whether you like Minne or Detroit, and for whatever reason, you all know what could factually be proven the winner. It ain't niether!

Who comes in second matters not even a little bit.

Aside from that, city to city polls and comparisons are strictly forbidden in certain contexts. The Minne- Detroit battle is a dead horse beaten, and falls under these guidelines.

Move on to more productive arguements and stay real.

note:

When you say "hands down" or "period" - i.e. "it's the best... period" it comes across as meaning "anyone who disagrees is wrong, so shut up!"

Please consider that before using those statements.

Back to the main topic...

I don't usually choose the city I want to visit based on the total square footage of office space.

example: Houston probably has more square footage of office space, but I'd rather visit portland.

note:

When you say "hands down" or "period" - i.e. "it's the best... period" it comes across as meaning "anyone who disagrees is wrong, so shut up!"

Please consider that before using those statements.

Back to the main topic...

I don't usually choose the city I want to visit based on the total square footage of office space.

example: Houston probably has more square footage of office space, but I'd rather visit portland.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't PM, if you send a mod may get to him first. Allow the gods to deal with it in their time :)

But I gotta say damn, that dude didn't travel much KC is nice, definately worthy of attention but not more impressive than many other cities out there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think chicago has the best downtown for the larger cities due to just the number of buildings and the influence that chicago has had on the development of the modern skyline. For the cities of under 200,000 grand rapids has one of the best downtowns because it still doesn't have the large conjusted but still offers big city luxuries like sports, food, and sights.

As someone who has lived in Cleveland and Columbus, OH before moving south, I came to appreciate both downtowns.

Of course, Chicago has by far the best downtown, and I even think it is better than NYC, b/c it seems cleaner and the people are much nicer.

Cleveland consistently gets underranked I think, as many people probably still think its almost as bad as when the Cuyahoga River caught fire, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The Warehouse District has many good restaraunts and bars, and is beginning to get more people to move down there w/ upstairs lofts and condos. I haven't been able to keep up on new developments so I don't know if they are building any new residential or mixed use down there. But anyways, the architecture I feel is quite nice. The contrast between the old "Terminal Tower" and the newer "BP Building and KeyCorp Tower" I think gives it a pretty unique look to the skyline. Of course the RR HOF is one real cool building. Of course, if you venture just outside of downtown Cleve, you get into some very shady areas, that I would never want to be in.

Columbus I feel, never ever gets its due, but the real problem there is that they have way too many surface parking lots, which takes away some real downtown vibrancy. This leads to a lot of wasted space, and I hope over the next few years, this problem will be taken care of w/ some good infill development. Columbus as far as I know is the only midwestern major city that is growing in population, but the problem is the sprawl there is horrible, but w/ some better planning, I am sure they could increase the density in the Downtown. I know they have several condo projects going on at least.

I don't see any downtown areas in the midwest developing like the southern ciites of Atl, Charlotte(my new home), and Miami in their downtown areas.

^ also agree. there's alos a rumor floating around that Minneapolis will be getting another 500-600FT office tower. But let's remember that we're talkign about a downtown as a whole, not just the skyline aspect.

People always compare Minneapolis and Kansas City which is fare since they are close in size, but Minneapolis has the upper and on skyline and downtown life. Kansas City's downtown is lively during business hours but quickly fades away and it almost a ghost town on weekends unless if there is an event at the convention center.

MInneapolis downtown has quite a bit to offer after business hours with restaurants theatres (3 or 4th largest theatre district in the country), and great shopping.

Well, I lived in the suburbs of Detroit and spent a ton of time downtown at games/bars/etc. I love the downtown of the city and where its going, but I would agree that it will take a long time and it will take miore than brick facade and sod. There is a bigger problem in Detroit, and painting over it won't last forever.

Chicago hands down. I live in Grand Rapids now (also a skyline worth looking at when you have some free time -- - - and getting bigger every day) and we take trips to the Chicagoland area a few times a year - definitely worth 3 hours in the car. I went to Minneapolis for the first time last year, and was surprised at how large it was. Lots of "modern" architecture, but much bigger than I ever thought. It's just kind of hidden away up there... great city, though.

Someone should include smaller downtowns on this or another poll. There are some great mid-major cities in the Midwest that deserve some cred. Included in this would be Milwaukee (tons of fun), Omaha, Grand Rapids, and Cincinnati (still a ways to go, but getting better every time I go).

^ also agree. there's alos a rumor floating around that Minneapolis will be getting another 500-600FT office tower. But let's remember that we're talkign about a downtown as a whole, not just the skyline aspect.

People always compare Minneapolis and Kansas City which is fare since they are close in size, but Minneapolis has the upper and on skyline and downtown life. Kansas City's downtown is lively during business hours but quickly fades away and it almost a ghost town on weekends unless if there is an event at the convention center.

MInneapolis downtown has quite a bit to offer after business hours with restaurants theatres (3 or 4th largest theatre district in the country), and great shopping.

Archived