newfoundland?

colin

I'm planning a trip to Newfoundland in a few months, and have been researching it as much as possible, although there isn't a whole lot available.

Has anyone been here before?

Does anyone have pictures? Travel advice?

What sort of temperatures/weather should I prepare for in mid-September?

Thanks in advance.

-colin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

I was in Newfoundland in May one time.

We drove from Boston, MA up through Nova Scotia and then took the ferry to Port aux Basque.

We had good weather but it can change quickly anytime of the year.

We drove up the west side and nver made to the east side.

It's very beautiful and the people are so very nice.

They did have a very unique accent...almost Irish-Scottish with a Canadian "eh".

Not much open in the non-tourist months.

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy visited Labrador last year and it sounds like an intriguing place. Very sparsely populated, unspoiled, economically depressed, and what my buddy said was the freshest air he's breathed anywhere. They are working on a Trans-Labrador highway that will make entering from Quebec much easier (I think it is supposed to be finished by 2010).

• 4 months later...

September is usually not a bad month to visit there, weather could range from nice summer temps to cool (maybe 15 - 20+ celsius), expect a mizture of sun and rain, and fog in some places. Take clothes to match. There are lots of tourist oriented places, like Trinity, Gros Morne Nat Park, St John's has a great night life downtown around George Street. If you like photography you will be able to keep very busy, but you must leave the main highways to see the best parts. Most highways are pleasant to drive.

Here's my photo gallery which includes lots of photos of St.John's, etc:

http://www.pbase.com/joecanada/root

Also, one of the best Newfoundland photo sites is:

http://www.bitstop.ca/

PS - Just noticed this post was a year old, but good info for anyone else who is interested.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is a beautiful place, though I have not been any farther inland than Grand Falls-Windsor, nor St. Johns. If you arrive via Port Aux Basque, you're likely driving, and will travel up highway 1. Breathtaking views, especially of Cornerbrook, nestled in a valley at the head of what seems a ten mile long lake. The people are refreshing, mostly an Irish mix, but the thing I noticed as an eclectic food obsessed American was a lack of diverse food. Lightly flavored fish and chips seemed the fair of choice. That could simply be the places we were, or the fact that locals do not eat in restaurants, but we eventually got the picture and grocery shopped and cooked our own meals. This is just an observation of mine and not necessarily worthy of a broad stereotype, frankly, I'd like to think the areas we were at are simply anti-Restaurant which is respectable. Moose accidents are somewhat common, at least we were warned of such, and saw quite a few off of the main roads. Leaving the main roads takes you to truly remote places, but the kind that really allow you to bond with.... something natural and eternal. Leave the vehicle, run if you can. Or sit on the dome of a gigantic prehistoric rock and gaze below.

Archived