Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigitalSky

Wesley Chapel Can't Handle Big Retail Center

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/11875586.htm

Apparently, the new shopping center at Waxhaw-Indian Trail and Weddington Rd (hwy 84) isn't enough retail - at least developers think - for the Wesley Chapel (near Weddington and Waxhaw in Union County) area and so they've planned a 44-acre Lowes Foods anchored retail center.. but the [most of the] community doesn't want it.

305wesley1.jpg

Union County can use more retail. After all, retail follows rooftops; within a three-mile radius of NC-84 and Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd there are 4,000 planned (and approved) single-family housing units.

Do I like the rape of the beautiful western Union County landscape? No. Do I blame developers for the rape of the landscape? No. Union County's elected officials, both in county and municipal goverment and those who have "fled" Mecklenburg are the ones responsible.

Union County's population rose nearly 18 percent between 2000 and 2003, and nearly doubled the decade before that. Eight of Union's 14 towns are among the 50 fastest-growing in the state. Some population growth is due to annexation (Stallings, for example, more than doubled); the rest is new construction.

Rank Town 2000 pop 2002 pop % growth

3 Stallings 3,189 8,382 162.84

10 Wesley Chapel 2,549 3,468 36.05

12 Indian Trail 11,749 14,909 26.9

21 Unionville 4,797 5,740 19.66

26 Lake Park 2,093 2,446 16.87

38 Marvin 1,039 1,174 12.99

45 Fairview 3,017 3,368 11.63

47 Weddington 6,696 7,446 11.2

Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, N.C. State Demographics

hehe, lets open fire on Union County.

Union County is actually considering a moratorium on all new growth for a year throughout the county.

If they expand the roads there will be no issues. Just expand the roads!

Personally I prefer planned developments to random church on the hills all over the place in little barns.

The only retail they have right now in Weddington is a horrid (and poorly lit) WinnDixie

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Charlotte+NC...20878&t=k&hl=en

hehe, lets open fire on Union County.

Union County is actually considering a moratorium on all new growth for a year throughout the county.

If they expand the roads there will be no issues. Just expand the roads!

Personally I prefer planned developments to random church on the hills all over the place in little barns.

The only retail they have right now in Weddington is a horrid (and poorly lit) WinnDixie

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Charlotte+NC...20878&t=k&hl=en

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WDPic13_04.jpg

http://collettassociates.com/weddingtonviewproject.htm

There are more photos of Weddington's only retail center there...

I agree about expanding the roads too, they're badly needed with all the sprawl taking place Providence Rd and Hwy 84 will not be able to handle themselves

The Union County moratorium only applies to the county land and not to any land which is incorporated into a town. Weddington and its brethren are as sprawled looking on a map as one of the developments they contain. I think many developers could have one of Union County's many towns do a satellite annex on any bit of farmland they wish to develop on so the moratorium may not amount to much. I have said before (this is the case with Waxhaw) that Union County just doesn

I attended the public meeting last night. Tedious. Of the 21 people who spoke, only three had Southern accents. Now I'm not trying to turn this into a North/South debate, but I found it amusing that the Northern accents that spoke all said the same thing: "I moved here two years ago....When I moved to this community 18 months ago....My family relocated here from NY to Wesley Chapel in 2002..." In other words, we're here now, so please lock the gate. No one else should come in. NIMBYism gone mad.

The only person to make sense was born on the land he farms in 1926. He said "...the proposed retail center wasn't what was going to increase traffic, it's all the houses that are going up that increase the traffic. 1000 approved houses within a mile equals 2000 cars to the roadways. If you want to blame somebody, blame yourselves for moving here". Priceless.

you know whats funny?

In South Charlotte I have not heard a Southern Accent for the last few weeks. The only time I have heard a southern accent was at Student Orientation at UNCC. I hadn't heard so many people with southern accents in all my time in living in Charlotte(5 years). Even My friends that were born in the South(Charleston, Goldsboro) don't sound southern. Interesting.

I was born in Union County and when newcomers move down they always ask me where I'm from. When I respond Union County they always come back with "Really!? You don't have an accent!" As if they are the first Northerners to move here and before them I was sitting around surrounded by nothing but southern colloquialisms.

Ok they said they were gonna talk about a shopping center proposal on WSOC but they were talking about the one in Ballantyne

and *SURPRISE* A Food Lion is also proposed!! In a sea of Harris Teeters... lol. Maybe it's a Bloom, who knows

proposed22ul.jpg

Is this the shopping center...

http://www.wesleychapelnc.com/Visit_The_Village_Commons.htm

I also found this - does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.urbana-architecture.com/PRO-WesleyChapel.html

People freak out and exagerrate way too much - how does a shopping center ruin the quality of life? Maybe they should update their infrastructure - how does Union County have no money to do so?

Is this the shopping center...

http://www.wesleychapelnc.com/Visit_The_Village_Commons.htm

I also found this - does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.urbana-architecture.com/PRO-WesleyChapel.html

People freak out and exagerrate way too much - how does a shopping center ruin the quality of life? Maybe they should update their infrastructure - how does Union County have no money to do so?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phase II of The Village Commons is in the southeast quadrant of NC-84 and Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd. It's basically big-box retail, office, and town facilities (town hall, library, etc.). There is no housing.

While the urbana architecture renderings are nice, there's no way in hell that Wesley Chapel will allow that density. The whole town is zoned R-40 (single-family lots of 40,000 sq ft or greater), with the exception of the B-1 districts (at the same intersection) which don't allow residential.

Weddington and Wesley Chapel should just go ahead and merge. SS, different day.

Phase II of The Village Commons is in the southeast quadrant of NC-84 and Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd.  It's basically big-box retail, office, and town facilities (town hall, library, etc.).  There is no housing. 

While the urbana architecture renderings are nice, there's no way in hell that Wesley Chapel will allow that density.  The whole town is zoned R-40 (single-family lots of 40,000 sq ft or greater), with the exception of the B-1 districts (at the same intersection) which don't allow residential. 

Weddington and Wesley Chapel should just go ahead and merge.  SS, different day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats too bad because the Urbana rendering is really nice. I can see people complaining about how it would "ruin their quality of life," but it looks so much better than ugly cookie cutter single family house developments. It creates a little main street, and I think thats nice (does Wesley Chapel even have one?)

no, Wesley Chapel or Weddington do not have "main streets".. or downtowns, for that matter. Wesley Chapel's "center of town" is at Hwy 84 and Potter Rd

They're going to have to work pretty darn hard to end up like Pineveags. 6 million sq ft of retail in a town of 3,000. Why that's 2,000K sq ft per resident. I can have my very own GAP!

Wesley Chapel has nearly 4,000 residents. If all projects proposed there get built, they will top out at 500,000 sq ft. To put it in perspective, the Arboretum has almost 800,000 sq ft.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/11937592.htm

Check it out, an update to the grocery store debacle going on in Ballantyne..

Michael Kan, president of the Princeton at Southampton owners association, says a preliminary survey of residents of nearby subdivisions -- including Southampton, Southampton Commons and Wynridge Estates -- shows 90 percent "strongly disagree" they must travel too far for their main grocery shopping. He believes Harris Teeter is simply trying to drive out the competition -- a Lowes Foods store 1.3 miles north on U.S. 521.

Charlotte's mayor, Pat 'Can't say No to Developers' McCrory, was on TV this morning doublespeaking to avoid commiting himself to actually supporting the developers, which he will do if it comes down to a tie breaker. One of the worst kinds of politicians IMO.