A new tower for Columbia?

Spartan

Sooner or later, Columbia will get a new skyscraper. Lets say its going to be 18-22 floors at around 300ft, and for variety's sake, it will have a pyramidal top (ie- Bank of America tower in Jacksonville, FL).

Where should this "new" tower go, and more importantly- why?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it needs to be somewhere along Main St, in between the BOA plaza and the cluster of towers near the Statehouse (Wachovia, former SouthTrust, Meridian, Palmetto, etc.). There needs to be more infill along that area; the BOA tower, as nice as it is, is isolated and often left out of Columbia skyline pictures. A new tower built in the proposed vicinity will help to give a sense of continuity to the skyline, IMO. But if one isn't a fan of linear skylines, then I guess this plan wouldn't be too appealing. I do hope that Columbia's skyline eventually spreads out a little more; I don't think it should be totally linear. But that's how I see it right now.

I agree with Krazee, but it would have to go in the block between Taylor and Blanding because the other blocks from Hampton to the State House are already filled with highrises and now the block from Hampton to Taylor is going to be totally occupied by condos.

P.S. It should be at least 30 stories and 400 feet. :)

GREAT pics, Spartan. I see that the skyline could also use some infill between the former SouthTrust tower and the Wilbur Smith tower, at least from that particular angle.

And it's funny that your pics actually substantiate my earlier point. As nice as I think the BOA tower is, it's missing from most skyline pictures because it's a little farther out than the well-known cluster of towers near the Statehouse.

I think it should be built on Sumter St around Hampton St. I am not sure what is there right now. But here is my vision:

Cola_concept_skyline.jpg

or for the taller tower, this:

Cola_concept_skyline2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartan, these are very good! It really adds to the Columbia skyline. Any chance you could do one of these for G-ville? Wish I knew how to do that.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I only have one decent side angle shot of Greenville's skyline, but I can try. If anyone has any goo skyline shots of Greenville, please share.

I am also going to try to get that same building from other angles in Columbia.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that would be good idea, considering how vacant that area has become with Decker Mall being dead but usually skyscrapers in the suburbs have no connection to urbanity. I think if some sort of grid was implemented and underground parking introduced, it could be an interesting concept. It would be a lot better than sticking one in some random location on the side of an expressway.

I think it should be built on Sumter St around Hampton St. I am not sure what is there right now. But here is my vision:

Cola_concept_skyline.jpg

or for the taller tower, this:

Cola_concept_skyline2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it should go in between the white one and the brown one to feel in the gap. It would give it a better feel.

• 3 months later...

i think a pair of these modern mid-rise towers (click the thumbnail below to enlarge) would be SWEET on South Main.. it'd be cool if this is what they were doing on that block between Devine and Blossom.

I found it online and saved the image, but lost the details -- location, function, architects, etc.

You could have retail on the ground level, offices in the base and residential in the tower. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Columbia has got to start breaking the architectural mold and stepping out in a modern direction if we're going to be as "cutting edge" as we'd like with the research campus, etc. I know this isn't something you can measure, but I believe a few buildings like this could really impact the city's image. The architecture of a city communicates something and I think it's important that we start speaking the design language of the type of residents and clientele that we want/need to attract in the new economy. ... And also because... it just looks REALLY cool. :)

post-615-1129511363_thumb.jpg

i think a pair of these modern mid-rise towers (click the thumbnail below to enlarge) would be SWEET on South Main.. it'd be cool if this is what they were doing on that block between Devine and Blossom.

I found it online and saved the image, but lost the details -- location, function, architects, etc.

You could have retail on the ground level, offices in the base and residential in the tower. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Columbia has got to start breaking the architectural mold and stepping out in a modern direction if we're going to be as "cutting edge" as we'd like with the research campus, etc. I know this isn't something you can measure, but I believe a few buildings like this could really impact the city's image. The architecture of a city communicates something and I think it's important that we start speaking the design language of the type of residents and clientele that we want/need to attract in the new economy. ... And also because... it just looks REALLY cool. :)

Very nice, EM.

Archived