A new tower for Columbia?

Spartan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is wachovia still planning to go forth with the $5 Million dollar renovation of the glass building on main. is the 29-foot glass structure still a go ahead?

No, they put that one on hold "indefinitely." Since its now a Wells Fargo operation, who knows if that one will ever revive itself.

• 5 months later...

Heres my Rendering of downtown Columbia Skyline in the near future with my idea. The Super tall one is on the corner of Washington and Marion st 45 stories. the one next to it the blue one is on the corner of Sumter and Lady st 35 stories. The rainbow Tower is on the corner of Hampton and Assembly 40 Stories with a 8 story Mall on the whole block. from assembly to all the way back to Main st between the two towers on Main st. (Sorry i forgot the name of those 2 buildings.

The Red colored tower if on the corner of Taylor and sumter 37 stories. and the red building in front of the Southtrust tower. is on assembly and gervais was 20 stories but i changed it to a 10 story tower now.

I Hope yall like this Plan i have and been thinking about this for 5 years now. please tell me if you like it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/390447..._1ee8d7bcdf.jpg

Nice drawings, growingup15. If the height restrictions in the Vista stay in effect, there won't be any 10-story towers at Assembly and Gervais (although I could see an exception possibly being granted with the restrictions in place, depending on exactly what were to be proposed). But I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that this is what Columbia's skyline will look like in the near future. If a dynamic skyline is what you want, I suggest you move to Atlanta or Charlotte as soon as you're old enough to do so. :)

Nice drawings, growingup15. If the height restrictions in the Vista stay in effect, there won't be any 10-story towers at Assembly and Gervais (although I could see an exception possibly being granted with the restrictions in place, depending on exactly what were to be proposed). But I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that this is what Columbia's skyline will look like in the near future. If a dynamic skyline is what you want, I suggest you move to Atlanta or Charlotte as soon as you're old enough to do so. :)

Well really to tell you the truth i really see this happening in the next 10-15 years. not really now but starting with planning now and we can lead ourselves as a city into this. we cant just wait until the future comes. its here now and we should start to take action. bring business to Columbia dont wait for it. if we build it they business will come.

Tourist Also. Our skyline represents our cities Quality and lately i havent been hearing good things. alot of poeple i talk to in columbia tells me tat Columbia's Skyline is nice but its Not what people are looking for. and that we need a peak Tower and towers that makes Columbia Looks serious.

I should have some Detail Renderings up in about...... eh 2-3 Weeks.

Well really to tell you the truth i really see this happening in the next 10-15 years. not really now but starting with planning now and we can lead ourselves as a city into this. we cant just wait until the future comes. its here now and we should start to take action. bring business to Columbia dont wait for it. if we build it they business will come.

Tourist Also. Our skyline represents our cities Quality and lately i havent been hearing good things. alot of poeple i talk to in columbia tells me tat Columbia's Skyline is nice but its Not what people are looking for. and that we need a peak Tower and towers that makes Columbia Looks serious.

I should have some Detail Renderings up in about...... eh 2-3 Weeks.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work the way you're thinking. When it comes to office highrises, it's not a matter of "build it and they will come." First of all, you need money to build these, and a developer isn't going to strike out and build a huge office tower if the demand isn't there. Secondly, many tall office towers like the ones you envision are typically bank buildings, and 1) the banking industry isn't particularly healthy right now and 2) a big bank would choose Charlotte to relocate to over Columbia because it has much more banking talent, among other factors. Thirdly, skylines have nothing to do with tourism. Charleston is a prime example of that.

So I will save you the disappointment and let you know up front that Columbia's not going to look like what you see in those renderings in 10-15 years. That is not a realistic expectation. Again, you will better understand these things when you get a little older. If a skyline is your main concern, again, you should be looking to move to cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, etc.

No way we're going to see a 38-story tower at Taylor and Sumter, a 40-story at Assembly and Hampton, a 45-story at Washington and Marion, and a 35-story at Lady and Sumter in the near future. It's possible a new tallest could be built within the next 10-15 years, but I seriously doubt it will be anything in the 40-story range. Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong--but all of this isn't very likely at all.

I think that from a skyline aesthetics perspective, a slightly taller tower with an angled roof line would look good.

Here's a rending I created several years ago that illustrates this concept. The building I envisioned at the time would have been located on Sumter St probably near Taylor or Hampton. The point of my illustration, I think, is that it would not take much to improve the skyline from a visual perspective. As to the economic realities of a new skyscraper in Columbia? I think that has been discussed fairly well.

Cola_concept_skyline2.jpg

As always, the skyline isn't everything. Having a good skyline is nice for pictures, but if you don't have a good streetscape and pedestrian experience, then you have absolutely nothing.

BTW, that building I added is the BofA Tower in Jacksonville.

Welcome to the forum, kwr.1989, and nice rendering! The tallest tower looks like the Wachovia tower in downtown Raleigh, and I recognize the one on the left as the Fountain Place tower in downtown Dallas at a much lower height. Looks like the Tower at Main and Gervais has been photoshopped in. The only tower I can't seem to place is the one behind First Citizens.

I agree, the next tower won't come until businesses show interest and come to Columbia. The next tower should be built in the current location of the current NBSC building. It's a great location for density. Office towers are nice but more apartment living downtown would be beneficial also.

I agree, the next tower won't come until businesses show interest and come to Columbia. The next tower should be built in the current location of the current NBSC building. It's a great location for density. Office towers are nice but more apartment living downtown would be beneficial also.

You are advocating that the current NBSC building at Main and Lady be demolished for another tower? The current NBSC building is a perfectly good building (although ideally some renovations should be made at the ground level to make it more pedestrian friendly) and I don't see why it should be demolished. There are plenty of other spots downtown for a new tower (lot between 1401 and 1441 Main, pocket park at Main and Lady across from First Citizens, etc.).

IMO, the better location for a new tower would be across the street at the location of the current Rodeway Inn.

Archived