A new tower for Columbia?

Spartan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like green towers, but that's a bit too green for me. It looks like a scene in those futuristic, sci-fi movies where the city is abandoned and vegetation starts to reclaim the landscape, LOL. I think something like the 1 Bank of America Center/Ritz-Carlton complex under construction here in Charlotte would be much more feasible:

102665790.jpg

I like green towers, but that's a bit too green for me. It looks like a scene in those futuristic, sci-fi movies where the city is abandoned and vegetation starts to reclaim the landscape

Hehe! True.

It was the Editt Tower imagined for Singapore. I was curious to see your reaction. :P

The one for Charlotte is indeed better.

• 1 month later...

growingup15, you need to seriously consider architecture as a career path.

I like green towers, but that's a bit too green for me. It looks like a scene in those futuristic, sci-fi movies where the city is abandoned and vegetation starts to reclaim the landscape, LOL. I think something like the 1 Bank of America Center/Ritz-Carlton complex under construction here in Charlotte would be much more feasible:

102665790.jpg

The problem with this building, and pretty much every one of them in Charlotte is that it looks pretty from this rendering, but unless you work on the 60th floor of Bank of America you won't get that view. The street experience is going to be horrible glass crap. Columbia should not repeat this. The green concept on its own is cool though.

growingup15, you need to seriously consider architecture as a career path.

The problem with this building, and pretty much every one of them in Charlotte is that it looks pretty from this rendering, but unless you work on the 60th floor of Bank of America you won't get that view. The street experience is going to be horrible glass crap. Columbia should not repeat this. The green concept on its own is cool though.

Thanks. oh! i forgot to tell you im already working on a New One already. looking at the Skyline from Behind. with new tower ideas. i might be awhile before i finish it. becuase i think someone on here wanted me to Draw a Detailed picture of my idea for a Mall/Hotel/condo where that parklot is at on assembly st across the street from the library

• 3 weeks later...

^That's a rendering. It has a glass facade just like the Tower at Main and Gervais. It looks "cold and gray" in the rendering because it reflects the evening sky. Here are a few real life shots:

3683860706_398f8ff0a5.jpg

3807631446_4f77f7213b.jpg

3827698851_e2f7839b6b.jpg

Something like this, which was proposed in uptown Charlotte but has since gotten scrapped, is a good one too.

According to the attached article, the skyscraper might be on its way out. It seems to some that towers that set precedents in height are symbolic of the world's excesses before the bursting of the real estate bubble. So maybe I'll get to keep enjoying Columbia's modest skyline, and maybe buildings that some refer to as boxes will be more the norm.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091202/ap_on_bi_ge/ml_dubai_tallest_tower

According to the attached article, the skyscraper might be on its way out. It seems to some that towers that set precedents in height are symbolic of the world's excesses before the bursting of the real estate bubble. So maybe I'll get to keep enjoying Columbia's modest skyline, and maybe buildings that some refer to as boxes will be more the norm.

They said this after 9/11; but the decade that followed was certainly one of the largest skyscraper booms ever seen.

I'm struggling to understand your summary of this article, which only focuses on the extravagant excesses of Dubai and has nothing to do with future skyscraper construction in general.

• 4 months later...

I Finally Drew a New picture of My Skyline Idea for Columbia. Including the New 29 Story Proposed tower in USC. http://www.flickr.co...N07/4535363026/

Ok new Details from my Last idea

Tallest Towers.

Centinnal Towers. The tall is on The corner of Washington and Sumter. 47stories The second one next to it is On the corner of Lady and Sumter st. With a Garage that Gose too the Back with Retail under it. and a Plaza with a Fountain and Possible a Ornimint Art kinda like the Kennen Plaza art/Fountain.

The One way in the Corner if the Palmetto Spire. its kinda like the Seattle Space Needle. but this would be an Iconic Tower for the City. becuase the Top is a Resturant and a Look out point so you can See the Whole City. its 40 Stories Tall. It will be Placed Near the Riverfront. about 2 miles away from the Downtown Skyline. It would have Land around it for Future retail or Housing can be build there. Thous Extending Columbia's Skyline Further out.

The Place. Tower is 2 Buildings together. its on the Corner of Assembly and Hampton st. but. the Tower is Connected to a Possible Mall 8 stories Tall 90+Stores/Retail. The mall would be Named Main st mall becuase the Main entrance would be on Main st. between the 1441 Building and the 1401 Building. The Place Tower would be a Mixed Retail lower Leveled Hotel/Condo/Apartment Mixed. The Tower will be 37 Stories Tall.

The Tower next to the Place behind it. is the Tri-City Condo. Its a Condo on the Corner of Sumter and Taylor. Yes i know theres supposed to be a Garage there. but this Tower would be Above it. 35 Stories.

The little tower on the bottom would be on the Corner of Gervais and Assembly. It would be 12 Stories Tall. but now i look i think it should be around 10 stories tall. But This tower is Mixed also. Its a Business Tower with Retail on the lower lever. the Garage would be on The corner of Lady and Park st. and the Garage Would connect to the tower. Parking would be for public and Bussiness people. But the Second park of the Building is a Complex park. I over heard Waccamatt a while back he said that Columbia Should get a Ice Rink. so i thought of an Idea of a Ice rink Above Gervais st that Goes all the way across the Street to that Empty Parking lot. about 30 Feet off the ground. it would be a Indoor/Outdoor. HOW? It would have a Collapable Roof.

Thats the New details i have. i will draw detail Pictures of the Palmetto Spire the PLACE tower and the Ice rink tower.

PS I Have another Picture of a New skyline that Would be extended all the Way to I-77 a 15-20 year projects. its a Green Project.

Archived