Underrated places in your state

krazeeboi

I started a thread like this in the SC forum and also decided to start one here. What places in your respective states would you consider underrated or "hidden jewels"? For SC, I mentioned the town of Santee, located on Lake Marion. I consider it a smaller version of Hilton Head located on a lake instead of the coast. It really is a welcome sight on I-95 through SC (which, for the most part, is rather boring).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Georgia

--Almost any place outside of Atlanta

--St. Simon's Island and Jekyll Island: Love the history, with all the millionaire hangouts and so on.

--Savannah: One of the most beautiful cities in the world. Also a very active port.

In Florida, I'd consider the Panhandle region to be underrated, at least to us in the peninsula. There's some beautiful small towns up there, with a ton of history. Some very unflorida like natural areas like Torreya and the Tallahassee hills. Other nice places are Appalachicola, St. Joes Peninsula (best beach I've ever been to), Marianna and Florida Caverns and dozens of small towns that time forget.

Union, SC is underrated. Great downtown and cool public buildings. Tragically, Susan Smith gave it a bad rap. Thankfully, Sherriff Howard Wells handled himself with dignity and put a good face on a terrible situation.

Belmont and Mt. Holly, NC also fall into the underrated category because they're in Gaston County. Some folks just can't see beyond the Catawba River from Mecklenburg.

Union, SC is underrated.  Great downtown and cool public buildings.  Tragically, Susan Smith gave it a bad rap.  Thankfully, Sherriff Howard Wells handled himself with dignity and put a good face on a terrible situation.   

Belmont and Mt. Holly, NC also fall into the underrated category because they're in Gaston County.  Some folks just can't see beyond the Catawba River from Mecklenburg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tallahassee is a fun place on the rise. I love to mountain bike, and though we are far from mountains, the hills allthrough town are incorporated into an awsome ride through some public and some hidden private trails around beautiful lakes and urban areas. there is a spot of shade everywhere and if your car runs out of gas (personal testimony) you can travel miles if you catch the lights at the bottom of the hills....

In Florida, I'd consider the Panhandle region to be underrated, at least to us in the peninsula.  There's some beautiful small towns up there, with a ton of history.  Some very unflorida like natural areas like Torreya and the Tallahassee hills.  Other nice places are Appalachicola, St. Joes Peninsula (best beach I've  ever been to), Marianna and Florida Caverns and dozens of small towns that time forget.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree about Port St Joe and Cape San Blas. I loved it so much the first time, I try to go back every year for vacation. :D

Granfather Mountain and Blowing Rock in North Carolina.

Asheville is a great place as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree CD. I am a mountain man. I love Grandfather. It is really a nice place. The swinging bridge, and the animal exibit make for a real fun day. Also a very impressive view. On a extremely clear day you can see CLT.

Here's a link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

picture is on the front.

• 2 months later...

Not speaking for Texas, my current home, but in my real home state of Arkansas the one most people HAVE heard of that is a great place to visit is Hot Springs and Hot Springs Nat'l Park. A second, which most people haven't, is Eureka Springs - a Victorian village from the 1880s high in the Ozarks in near original condition.

eureka_springs.jpg

Not speaking for Texas, my current home, but in my real home state of Arkansas the one most people HAVE heard of that is a great place to visit is Hot Springs and Hot Springs Nat'l Park.  A second, which most people haven't, is Eureka Springs - a Victorian village from the 1880s high in the Ozarks in near original condition.

eureka_springs.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes Eureka Springs the original tourist spot in the Ozarks. Although it's now overshadowed by Branson in Missouri, I'm glad they didn't go that route. I've been wondering if the big growth in northwest Arkansas will end up having an effect on Eureka Springs. Maybe more people here in Washington and Benton Counties will go visit.

Archived