Downtown Winston-Salem

AnEverydayJo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the link to this article. DT W-S has a lot of things happening these days. I really like the two one-story buidlings on Trade Street which are being replaced with five-story buildings. Woohoo!! :) Anyway, good news for Winston.

• 1 month later...

Well ther have been new business opening in Downtown in the last summer... so what do you think of them? Specifically I am referring to;

Sixth & Vine

Foothills Brewery

Camel City Cafe

Christopher's

The 411 (newest place, just opened prior to the Black Theater Festivle on Cherry)

I for one think they have all been welcome additions to downtown.

I am pretty disappointed that The 411 is not a dance club. I was really hoping that was the direction it was going as Winston needs one so bad. I simply don't undersatnd the incredible amount of Jazz and Blue places in downtown, I mean how many can this city support at one time.

That being said the place looks lie it is the nicest plae in Winston to go as far as cocktails go.

I agree with you about 411...it's a very nice place...Sixth and Vine is always so packed that I haven't been back. As for the others mentioned, I haven't tried them yet.

I don't know about you, but i'm ready for Mellow Mushroom to open this fall in or next to the Neison Building on 4th...I love the one in Asheville.

ive been to foothills brewery and i was really impressed. the food was good, it always has a nice size crowd, its attractive to the younger pop. and its a big space. i wanna go to sixth and vine soon. Ive heard nothing but good things about that place.

add Xia to that list of new restaurants...a new Asian restaurant on 1st and Spruce was just announced last week. Cheesecakes by Alex is also planned for the base of the Nissen tower. oh yea, and dont forget WS Prime, The Grille and Starbucks at the Twin City Quarter. I just noticed a new coffee shop( i think its called the Flying Goat?) beside the Subway on Main St.

sixth and vine is good(at least the bar). Great selection on draft and in the bottle. good selection of wine by the glass. havenot had the food yet.

Christophers is good(quite good) and the beer at Foothills is growing on me(though their stout definitely needs more heft)

I also agree with the poster who asked if we really need another jazz/blues venue - we have thea's, speakeasy even 6th and vine. Then again dance clubs usually crash and burn in the twin city.

I though the coffeehouseby the courthouse was a part of subway just a renaming of the old courthouse cafe

Have not been to camel city at the old or new location

I am pretty disappointed that The 411 is not a dance club.  I was really hoping that was the direction it was going as Winston needs one so bad.  I simply don't undersatnd the incredible amount of Jazz and Blue places in downtown, I mean how many can this city support at one time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohh man. I'd trade you two of Charlotte's downtown dance clubs for just one of your downtown blues clubs.

I'm only in Winston-Salem on business occassionally but I agree that the city could use a club (or two) downtown. I do really like the Garage and PS 219 (I'm not sure of the number). Both places had an interesting vibe and great music.

It's great to see that so many new restaurants are opening up downtown. Places like Sweet Potatoes, Camel City Cafe and Bistro 420 are good. I also like Ollie's Bakery a lot. But, Christopher's New Global Cuisine is the best place I have ever been in W-S - I enjoyed it better than Fabian's. They also had live music on their patio when I was there which was great. I was supposed to be in town for a meeting later this week and I was looking forward to this NC Wine Festival event Christopher's is hosting this weekend, but unfortunately my meeting was postponed <_< If anyone goes, I'd like to hear how it was...

Yea Winston needs a club downtown...actually anywhere in the city because there only a handful to choose from.

the city just had its first state of the community conference at the Embassy Suites in downtown. A lot of DT projects were cited as boosts to the local economy. Im suprised that there was no mention of Civic Plaza?

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...s=1037645507703

The Civic Plaza project will be probably be scaled down a bit but only to accomodate new plans for the superblock development. If anything you'll probably see dirt moving on the superblock before seeing anything on the civic plaza as there is still more land to be acquired and offices to prepare for moving to accomodate the building of the civic plaza. The Davis Building is supposed to be demolished for a six story mixed-use bulding with some kind of residential/retail mix, its still there though for now. As for the Pepper Building only two of the proposals call for it to be saved out of the 8 or 9 proposals turned in so odds are in favor of demolishing it

The Civic Plaza project will be probably be scaled down a bit but only to accomodate new plans for the superblock development. If anything you'll probably see dirt moving on the superblock before seeing anything on the civic plaza as there is still more land to be acquired and offices to prepare for moving to accomodate the building of the civic plaza. The Davis Building is supposed to be demolished for a six story mixed-use bulding with some kind of residential/retail mix, its still there though for now. As for the Pepper Building only two of the proposals call for it to be saved out of the 8 or 9 proposals turned in so odds are in favor of demolishing it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the information. Where can I see the proposals? These are the responses to the RFP, right?

I hope the developer teams that responded to the RFP produce innovative designs. A little height to the residential building would be nice too as long as view corridors to the Reynolds Building are kept open. I'll be happy to see a structure that doesn't have a brick or pre-cast concrete or granite curtain wall. A nicely detailed, articulated skin of glass and steel with no decorative motifs would be great. Something a little more contemporary w/ large open loft-like apartments. There are currently a lot of really great residential towers being built in New York. I'll post some pics or links if anyone is interested.

• 1 month later...

This is my first post. I don't even know if anyone is actively viewing this.

I'm thinking of opening a health club in downtown. Since Omni left in 1997 there has been avoid.

I think now is a great time to open up a club downtown with the Nissen Bldg, Piedmont Leaf Loft Project, all of the activity on Trade St and West Fourth. Have you looked at any property?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4th St. News...

This week's Smitty's notes from from journalnow.com:

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...s=1037645508988

The new restaurant is definitely good news. At 9,600sf, it might be a bit ambitious, but I hope it works out for them. It's a great location and it would be great if their lounge area could be a nightspot that could attract a lot of patrons.

Wish they would have tryed to occupy the old Kababs site. It was 2 stories and was really nice. I think it's great that Winston is getting these new modern restaurants such as the Thai place, Mellow Mushroom, Foothills, WS Prime, this one, and all the ones that line Trade St. Better yet why not move into the Niessen building, there's nobody there and I don't think Cheesecakes by Alex is coming.

Archived