49 members have voted

1. 1. Will it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that, for a long time, it will stay as a second sport to the US. (you know, niot very popular, but does get some fanfare)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know exactly what you mean with "arena football" but if you mean Soccer than i don't think it will ever be the a popular sport in the states, although as a foreigner from a famous soccer country ( The Netherlands ) i must say The U.S national soccer team has some real talent, the World Championship Soccer for under 20 Years is being held in The Netherlands at the moment and also in my cities soccer stadium. i saw The U.S team playing there last saturday against Argentina and they played very well, although Argentina has players that are more developed when it comes to technique.

But U.S won 0-1 so that was quite a surprise but well done, only freddy adu was not as good as i thought he was, but he is still very young.

But after all i don't think it will become real popular because Americans don't grow up with it, like europeans don't grew up with baseball or basketbal.

Plus europeans are so loyal and extreme fanatic when it comes to supporting at soccer matches, if anyone likes to see pics of that ask me and i'll show some real nice pictures from the supporters of the pro soccer team in my city

But I cincerely hope that US will become a big Soccer nation, because it's always interesting to see new players and new clubs.

and if arena football doesn't mean soccer than ignore this post and i apologize.

If I have my facts right, Arena Football is a slightly more agressive form of football played in a field half the size of a tradional US football one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and it's played in an indoor arena... in case nobody knew. it's similar in concept to box lacrosse or indoor soccer. It's also a rung below nascar on the redneck sport heirarchy.

• 3 weeks later...

No way it will ever be accepted as a major sport by the American public. Sadly, I think the XFL had a better chance than Arena Football ever will, and that's saying something. The NFL is the premiere sport in the country. It has the best talent coming in from the college game, and the best talent already on their rosters. It has the premier sports event (and premier television event) of the year in the Super Bowl, and years and years of history. Arena football will continue to be a low grade attraction far into the future.

• 5 weeks later...

Eventually it will be very close to major. It's such a great experience and fun football that completely brings the fans right into the action. It's extremely inclusive for fans and very exciting. The VooDoo, in New Orleans, average around 16,000 for their home games and it can get mighty loud inside of the New Orleans Arena when the VooDoo play games. It's certainly unique.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it will become very close to being a major sport. The AFL is big in many cities already, espesially here in New Orleans. It seems to already be more popular across the country then soccer and hockey in many places.

Go New Orleans Voodoo!

varlogo5kw.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I heard on CNN a few weeks ago that the only sports that make money as in ticket sales and television revenue are: NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, INDY Car, Golf, Tennis, and Figure Skating. That is it! That is only 9 sports!

Bowling, womens basketball, soccer, womens golf, womens bowling, men and womens billiards, extreme sports, cycling, running, rugby, gymnastics, olympic sports, horse racing, arena football, minor league baseball, NHRA Drag Racing, do not make any money. In fact they lose money! Womens sports are dying out. The Womens Pro Bowlers Tour is gone. The Womens ABA basketball is gone and the Womens NBA is almost gone. Womens golf is a joke. The course conditions are extremely easy like in womens bowling.

• 1 month later...

It's also a rung below nascar on the redneck sport heirarchy.

I'm laughing here, since I used to be a season ticket holder for the Orlando Predators. The core audience was drunken rednecks who listened to the the Monsters of the Midday who had Friday night free since the demolition derby in Bithlo was on Saturday.

• 1 month later...

I'm laughing here, since I used to be a season ticket holder for the Orlando Predators. The core audience was drunken rednecks who listened to the the Monsters of the Midday who had Friday night free since the demolition derby in Bithlo was on Saturday.

Sounds a lot like how NASCAR began ... and look at NASCAR now. :shok:

What does "??" mean?...??

Anywho, Arena football is quite popular here, especially among the college kids, who can't afford season tickets to the Titans, but they can to the Katz. Our team was away for a year or two, but now they're back, and are probably our fourth most popular sport, after the Titans, Predators, Sounds (Minor League Baseball).

• 1 month later...

while I do no believe it will ever become as popular as major league sports I do believe it as the ability to become a very popular, if not the mpst popular, minor league sport in the nation. I know its pretty popular here in Grand Rapids.

The Rampage arent bad attendance wise for a team that goes 3-10 (doh)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Arena football is still viewed by most as a minor league sport, but attendance at most games says otherwise. In the Orlando market the Magic have been mediocre at best for years, and the Predators have been good. Attendance at the Predator AFL games is higher than at Magic games unless the Magic are playing a top notch team. The local paper still covers the Magic on the front page of the sports section everyday, but the Predators end up on page 5. What's up with that? The AFL has a better TV package than hockey does now. The strike really knocked hockey down as a big time sport. It lost a lot of status with everyone except the die hard hockey fans that go to the games. Hockey has the second most dedicated fan base after the NFL, but the lack of TV coverage may doom the sport to an afterthought. Especially in cities that do not have a team, in those cities it's like the NHL doesn't exist.

AFL is 49% owned by the NFL. It isn't going anywhere, and it will never be "major league" in the traditional sense. It is to the NFL what the WNBA is to the NBA -- a money losing way to keep fans interested in their respective sports during the top league's off season. Over the last few years, former NFL players and execs have started operating AFL franchises in NFL markets -- Denver, Chicago, Georgia and Philly. It also allows for football in not-quite major leage markets -- Las Vegas, Austin, Los Angeles (lol), Orlando, etc.

The AFL and af2 also serve as a minor league system to the NFL -- Super Bowl MVP Kurt Warner played for years for the Iowa Barnstormers. af2, in a similar fashion to hockey's ECHL and baseball's single and double A minor leagues, puts teams in markets that will never have a major league franchise. This gives sports fans in those cities a sense of connection to the sport of football vs. baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, NASCAR, etc. Also, fans of sports at the lower levels look at games more as entertainment/a night out, not the apex of athletic achievement. Kind of like the Coliseum in the Roman empire...

Arena football is still viewed by most as a minor league sport, but attendance at most games says otherwise. In the Orlando market the Magic have been mediocre at best for years, and the Predators have been good. Attendance at the Predator AFL games is higher than at Magic games unless the Magic are playing a top notch team. The local paper still covers the Magic on the front page of the sports section everyday, but the Predators end up on page 5. What's up with that? The AFL has a better TV package than hockey does now. The strike really knocked hockey down as a big time sport. It lost a lot of status with everyone except the die hard hockey fans that go to the games. Hockey has the second most dedicated fan base after the NFL, but the lack of TV coverage may doom the sport to an afterthought. Especially in cities that do not have a team, in those cities it's like the NHL doesn't exist.

It is true, it will take a bit to come back, but it is really starting to heat up. They do well at the gate though, and always have. The thing is I think they need a team in the NorthWest like in portland or seattle. Two cities with hockey history that dont have a team. Either way as a canes fan this has been a good year for me and now that the NHL finally has its house in order, I see nothing but blue skies. It makes me happy to know that small markets and big markets can compete on the same level, and that is probably the main reason why I loved the NFL so much for as long as I can remember.

It is true, it will take a bit to come back, but it is really starting to heat up. They do well at the gate though, and always have. The thing is I think they need a team in the NorthWest like in portland or seattle. Two cities with hockey history that dont have a team.

I believe the problem with the NHL was they overexpanded and to the wrong areas. There are hockey teams where nobody in town plays hockey (generally because there's no ice to skate on).

With the exception of the defending champs Tampa Bay (2nd) and Dallas (13th), every southern hockey team from Missouri to Miami ranks in the bottom 1/3 of the league in attendance.

Hmm...

Archived