Mass Transit around Greater Birmingham

Blazer85

Should Birmingham bring back their streetcars?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Birmingham bring back their streetcars?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As with anything, it would take people approving additional taxes, or perhaps the redistribution of tax income. Surprisingly enough, voters here in the metro area approved a sales-tax increase to fund FasTracks, a $4.7 billion plan to build at least 10 new rail lines over the next decade. The first relatively short line was funded without additional taxes, then a line was build out to two suburbs (Englewood & Littleton) with additional taxes and money from the Fed. Englewood and Littleton's willingness to step out and bring the line to their area has been well rewarded. Now all parts of the metro area want lines into their cities.

Not sure there is much hope given the political climate there and the cozy relationship between the road construction company owners and the good ole boys in Montgomery. But maybe the people will begin to see the continued complete reliance on more and more highways is simply not sustainable, and votes will begin to follow that line of thinking. Or maybe, more and more people will just move downtown.

It is doubtful that an entire regional light rail system will be implement in Greater Birmingham in the next decade. The only form of light rail that do see is the short lines that are outline in the RPC's Long-Term Transportation Plan. The area is still need to build upon its density to completely implement light rail really anything south of Red Mountain. Homewood would be a good canidate for LRT but the problem would be where the line would go? Basically, the perfect corridors for LRT are mainly the southwest to northeast corridor from Bessemer to Downtown to Roebuck or even Trussville due to its density. Geography would be a major problem or the Southeast or Southern corridors unless the right-of-way long exist railways are used. I know that it is only a matter of when not if funding will be found to use towards a regional transit system.

Reminder: This is today.

Rep. Davis to host transit forum Thursday

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

JOSEPH D. BRYANT

News staff writer

Congressman Artur Davis, D-Birmingham, will host a countywide forum on mass transit Thursday at City Hall, the latest in a series of events he has sponsored on the subject.

"The purpose of the meeting is to have an open conversation about issues associated with transit, what it should look like, who it should serve and what impact it will have on the community," said Davis spokesman Corey Ealons. "This is part of our annual Jefferson County town hall meeting."

The meeting, from 6 to 8 p.m. in the council chambers, will include a panel of experts and community leaders sharing ideas about the future of transit in the region.

The public is also invited to ask questions about the challenges of developing an efficient transit system.

Before federal money can be accessed, Davis said, a comprehensive transit plan must be developed. Ealons said Thursday's meeting provides an opportunity for the public to contribute to such a plan.

Davis in August formed a coalition with Democratic members of the state legislative delegation who agreed to have a public-transit funding plan ready by the next legislative session in March.

Davis has called his transit initiative a new direction in his congressional tenure. His first two terms focused on poverty and the lack of opportunities in the Black Belt. His transit initiative is similar to the monthly forums hosted by state Sen. Jabo Waggoner, R-Vestavia Hills, that brought the county's elected officials together to discuss the issues.

A new focus on transit by the federal government is essential for reform, said Guin Robinson, chairman of the Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority.

"It's going to take officers from the federal, state, county and local levels to make something happen, so I'm very pleased to see the congressman take this initiative," he said. "There are going to be differences of opinion, and that's healthy, but I'm encouraged everyone's staying at the table."

I think it would have to parrallel I-65 from downtown down to Wildwood. It seems like there might be some room there. The line could then cut down University through UAB (a prime market), then into the CBD. Regardless, this discussion is probably something that won't happen for at least a decade.

• 2 weeks later...

This was copied from the AL.com Birmingham forum and I thought it fitting for this thread:

-----

Bronx-native, and Birmingham blogger, Andre Natta has written a nice blurb about the new hybrid-fuel BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) vehicles.

Several area leaders were able to get an insider's look of the new automobiles that could one day, with the help of some effective leadership, show up on some choice Birmingham streets.

Links are below:

Dre's blog: http://dresramblings.wordpress.com/2006/11...sion-yesterday/

Birmingham News article: http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

Photo's (courtesy of TechBirmingham's CEO Curtis Palmer) http://www.flickr.com/photos/techbirmingham/

And those from Andra Natta: http://www.flickr.com/photos/acnatta/

Hybrid-fuel bus attracts attention

The hybrid bus was made in Anniston at the North American Bus Industries, Inc. It was on display to show the citizens what people in cities Dallas, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Houston uses for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) systems. This is an exhibition was an initial display in a campaign to encourage mass transit funding to be fund to a local match to the $87 million FTA funding set aside to improve public transporation in the Greater Birmingham area.

Here is an editorial from John Archibald discussing the uphill battle that many transit advocates have to improve the region's mass transit system.

MAX riders struggle with status quo

It is so disheartening to know how cold and apathetic people are in this region towards how dismal the current system. It is like this place wallows in stupidty, apathy, and selfishness. Things like this makes me wonder why would I stay in such a place like this or want to rear a family in such an ass-backwards place.

It is so disheartening to know how cold and apathetic people are in this region towards how dismal the current system. It is like this place wallows in stupidty, apathy, and selfishness. Things like this makes me wonder why would I stay in such a place like this or want to rear a family in such an ass-backwards place.

• 2 weeks later...
Hence why I will probably never work or live near Birmingham unless it's an absolute necessity. You either live in downtown living close to a downtown job, which may be expensive but it would be the perfect solution for young, single professionals. Those that wish to raise a family will probably be living in the suburbs. That means dealing with ever-increasing traffic volumes and over-capacity highways.

Those suburbs would rather not admit that they depend on the city of Birmingham for their very existence, much less try to work with the city to develop a comprehensive, regional transit plan that works for everyone. Too many people are not even willing to sacrifice their vehicles for transit, either because the system does not serve the, or heaven forbid people would have to share the same space with poorer people who depend on the system for transportation on a regular basis.

I saw something last night on ABC33/40 that was going to talk about changes to I-65 (particularly south of downtown). They showed some footage of an animated I-65 with some sort of controlled access toll-road or something between the north and southbound lanes. Anyone see this? I didnt get to see the whole story... just the little tease prior to it.

I saw something last night on ABC33/40 that was going to talk about changes to I-65 (particularly south of downtown). They showed some footage of an animated I-65 with some sort of controlled access toll-road or something between the north and southbound lanes. Anyone see this? I didnt get to see the whole story... just the little tease prior to it.

• 3 weeks later...

The early bird beats the rush

This so ridiculous. Birmingham area commuters have been getting up earlier and earlier to commute to work to beat traffic that it may require the rush hour of Birmingham to be extended from 7a-7p to 5a-7p. This is all due to the fact that there is not regional mass transit system in the Greater Birmingham area, and the BJCTA is direly underfunded. The State Legislature hasn't seemed to attempted to pass any bill that would fund the transit system into a true countywide system or even a regional system.

Transit poll may drive legislation

The transportation subcommittee created by State Senator Waggoner has conducted a transit poll in Jefferson, Shelby, Walker, St. Clair, Blount and Chilton counties. The poll revealed that 69% of the participants would use alternative transporatation if the fuel cost continue to rise and if the availability, accessibility, and frequency of public transportation improved. The survey model is very similar to one that was conducted in the Kansas City area, which has recently passed a referendum to fund improve and expand the regional transit system.

Waggoner wants to use this and more specialized surveys that he plans on conducting to write legislature and submit to the floor in the spring to fund a regional mass transit system.

I pray that this works and I do see some light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

Jefferson County needs to put its money where its mouth is.

Transit needs money, less talk

It's apparent that the county made a promise of $2 million dollars, but has came through with its promise. I think the county owes it citizens at least that. I will say this Langford should have came through with this promise while he was still in control, but now it is up to Collins to make this her initiative to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...

When I was driving up to NYC recently (yes... and I drove around Manhattan... believe it or not, much better than driving B'ham! LOL!) I saw a Light Rail system that might work here... or at least where to put the tracks, etc.....

Underneath the high voltage power lines.

Wherever I was (I think Philadelphia... I took the scenic route O_o) had this design... the 'poles' were actually wide-footed towers with the light rail line passing beneath it.

It's another alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

The creation of more park-and-lots is finally coming to fruition. The RPC has announced the funding has been secured for 2 new lots in Hoover and Shelby County. The Hoover lot is going to be right at the I-459 and Montgomery Highway interchange at the Municipal Complex, and the one in Shelby County will be at the Weather Vane Road (Shelby County Airport) interchange on I-65.

Traffic planners say 11 park-and-ride lots would be ideal, with each lot ranging in size from one to two acres. The planning commission staff has looked for lots on U.S. 78, I-65, I-59, U.S. 280, U.S. 31, Alabama 79 and Alabama 75.

Archived