Mass Transit around Greater Birmingham

Blazer85

Should Birmingham bring back their streetcars?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Birmingham bring back their streetcars?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

The bill to increase the gas tax by 6 cent/gallon is up for discussion in the Legislature.

Bill will let counties raise gas tax for roads

The bill is allow counties to rise their gas tax to fix their county roads and highways. However, in Jeffco, where county roads and highways seem to be up to standards and well-maintained, the revenue from the tax would be used to match the $80 million federal grant for a regional mass transit system.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity... did anyone ever hear anything on the streetcar issue? I know they were going to look into the costs and such, but ever since they said they'd investigate it, I haven't heard anything. Anyone else heard or know anything?

The original proposal to levy a statewide 10-cent-a-gallon gas tax has died in session. However, State Rep. Linda Coleman is now pushing the bill that would levy an optional statewide 6-cent-on-a-gallon tax to be used for roads and mass transit for Jeffco. It would tax to be only enforced only if the county commissions of the state's 67 counties approve it. Like the last bill, the Alabama Road Builders Association is behind it, but this time so is the Alabama Association of County Commissions, and the local legislators like Senator Jab Waggoner. I'm crossing my fingers that is bill passes b/c I really want to see the region's mass transit system improve and finally have a local match for the $20 million in federal dollars.

Coleman tries again on taxes for area transit

i think that when / if shelby retires, he is going to pay lamar a gazillion dollars for billboards all over birmingham with just a picture of shelby's face and a giant hand in the foreground giving the city the bird. he has done his damndest to secure matching transit funds for this area, and the lack of consensus among local leadership has got to be royally pissing him off.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll say this: I agree with them to an extent. Birmingham shouldn't have majority control of the appointees on the new regional transit board because the city only represents 1/3 of the county's populous.

However, as usual they are not trying to offer some sort of compromise with Smoot or Langford is what peeves me off with The Three Stooges. Don't forget Humphryes said just about 2 months ago that he was against any type of funding for mass transit because he doesn't see any real reason for it. :rolleyes: So this whole 3 against 2 partisan debacle isn't at least a surprise to me. Yeah, we need to vote these clowns out, but we need to go back to an at-large election system for Jeffco.

I must agree they are the reason why Birmingham is consistently held back.

Hoover's park-and-ride lot is a 'no-go'

No public carpool lot for city

This is after the city is going to use the land for the realignment of Municipal Drive. <_< Now the RPC has to search for another location for the lot because this was going to be 1 of the 4 lots to be opened in the region. These park-and-ride lots are part of the RPC's plan to open 11 in the region.

Now why is it such a dire need for that stupid road to be realigned after all these years. :rolleyes:

Hoover's park-and-ride lot is a 'no-go'

No public carpool lot for city

This is after the city is going to use the land for the realignment of Municipal Drive. <_< Now the RPC has to search for another location for the lot because this was going to be 1 of the 4 lots to be opened in the region. These park-and-ride lots are part of the RPC's plan to open 11 in the region.

Now why is it such a dire need for that stupid road to be realigned after all these years. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a study done on the cost of maintaining gas-powered buses vs. electricity-powered trams/streetcars. Obviously, there would be sizeable costs associated with just starting up the streetcars again, but I would think that once established again, it could be a cheaper alternative than other modes of mass transit. In an age where we should be trying to shake our gas-dependency, such alternatives would be a welcome change.

I'd like to see a study done on the cost of maintaining gas-powered buses vs. electricity-powered trams/streetcars. Obviously, there would be sizeable costs associated with just starting up the streetcars again, but I would think that once established again, it could be a cheaper alternative than other modes of mass transit. In an age where we should be trying to shake our gas-dependency, such alternatives would be a welcome change.

• 4 weeks later...

A frustrated group of area leaders, riders, and citizens have meeting to discuss the footdragging involving funding for regional transit.

Transit advocates tire of talk, urge action

The Citizens United for Regional Transit (CURT) met on Friday discussing the future of the region's transportation infastructure. They are fustrustrated as hell, like I am, with the lack of forward movement on the reforming our region's public transit system. With gas prices going up the way they are, you would think folks would reconsider the nonchalant approach on this issue, but I guess not. :rolleyes:

Now, that has me wondering what is the status of that bill in the Legislature that suppose to fund mass transit across Jefferson County and allow road improvements statewide.

just about any bill will not see action during this year's regular session. if the bill you're talking about is slated to come up, it will be during the tax-wasting special session that will inevitably have to be called later in the year. those pukes can't agree on anything - they were even arguing over the manner in which the majority & minority would agree to pass the thyssenkrupp incentives package last week.

i'm pretty sure that the legislature won't even have a state budget - of all things! - passed by the time the regular session adjourns. wouldn't be the first time.

sad thing is, i don't think the 'vote the bums out' rallying cry will have any effect on the way the legislature operates. the system is too entrenched to be changed by new blood. over the years, it's changed many a bright-eyed first-term representative (or senator) full of reform-minded optimism into a cynical, petty bureaucrat. maybe if we elected a bunch of artur davises all at once...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, some surprising developments have occured in Montgomery involving the pieces of legislation involving creating a substantial source of local funding for mass transit in Jeffco.

Jeffco senators work to expand transit board

The senators representing Jeffco in the Senate has passed legislation in committee yesterday to expand the BJCTA board members from 9 to 14. In this legislation it also increase the number of Jefferson County representatives outside of Birmingham on this board. It also lowered the local matching source to create this board from $25M to $20M.

However, both bills will have to pass the full Senate and the matching bills need to pass the full House, but the time is running out for the legislation. BUT the likelihood of a special session being called this year is high, so the bills could be passed during which.

Just bringing some sense of optimism to the board on the forefront of mass transit funding. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MAX FEES ARE TO INCREASE IN OCTOBER

To make up shortfall, MAX fares to increase

To make up for an $824,400 shortfall, the BJCTA is rating fares for the first time in 12 years for the MAX bus system from $1.25 to $1.50. This is all due to the increase costs of maintanance, fuel, insurance, routes, and not substantial funding source other than the City of Birmingham. They did this to keep from driving away the other participating municipalities like Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, etc. by asking for more funds from them. Also BJCTA executive director, David Hill, has mentioned that in 2009 much need federal grant used to operate the MAX service currently will end, so he is quoted "tougher times are ahead."

• 3 weeks later...

BJCTA IS TO HOLD PUBLIC MEETING FOR EXPANSION PLANS

Regardless of the fact that they have recently announced that ridership fees will have to be raised in October, the BJCTA is still fighting for an county-wide service area. They will hold meetings today and tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Central Station and tonight in Bessemer at 6 p.m. at the Bessemer Library. Also there will be a meeting tomorrow night at 6 p.m. at the Central Station. They want your input for how ane where they should be trying to expand their service to, and where should there also be regional hubs for where buses should stop in suburban cities.

*****I encourage everybody on this board to attend as I will do the same one of these meetings for the BJCTA expansion.*****

• 1 month later...

3 JEFFCO COMMISSIONERS ARE NOW PROMOTING REGIONAL TRANSIT

Of all the people you would expect touting the idea of regional transit, it seems the following 3 commissioners, Bettye Fine Collins, Bobby Humphryes, and Jim Carns. This is after the little trip to Denver and they took notice of the positive benefits of Regional Transit District of the Denver-Aurora-Boulder metropolitan area. They are touting the proposal of a regional sale tax increase for the 7-county metropolitan area. However, as we all know that sales tax proposals as all proposals are an uphill battle.

We can only hope that this promise is going to be kept by these commissioners to fight for the creation of a regional mass transit system. However, it does give me hope that we have a bright future ahead for this region with an efficient mass transit system that will allow you to go anywhere within the metropolitan area without the use of an automobile.

Maybe this is the beginning of the "can do" attitude that is needed to make this area the "place to be" once again.

• 4 weeks later...

BUS RAPID TRANSIT (BRT) IS BEING SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR THE CITY CENTER

The RPC and BJCTA are serious considering the use of BRT for the City Center compared to the original proposal of bring back the streetcar lines. The idea would include the creation of the In-Town Transit Partnership which is model after Denver's 16th Street Mall Intermodal transit network. The In-Town Transit Partnership would use the current DART bus lines along with BRT to provide residents and visitors of the City Center a way to connect from the BJCC to Five Points South along the way other major points including the Theater District, UAB, etc.

Archived