Mass Transit around Greater Birmingham

Blazer85

Should Birmingham bring back their streetcars?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Birmingham bring back their streetcars?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Seriously, are we in need of a new transit system to get people from downtown to Five Points, or could we just make what we have better? Tonight as I was driving through Five Points, I could see that the Green Dart was jammed pack. Even though the view looking inside was kind of dark because of the Dart's tint, I could still notice all of the people sitting, as well as, standing.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously, are we in need of a new transit system to get people from downtown to Five Points, or could we just make what we have better? Tonight as I was driving through Five Points, I could see that the Green Dart was jammed pack. Even though the view looking inside was kind of dark because of the Dart's tint, I could still notice all of the people sitting, as well as, standing.

Walker County ClassTran is attempt to increase its usage

In an attempt to increase the ridership of the bus system, Walker County ClassTran is making their bus system free for a week. he Walker Area Chamber of Commerce, the foundation, and the cities of Cordova and Jasper agreed to share the $500 cost for the free week of fares. In addition, they are trying to increase the routes between the other municipalities in the county such as Cordova, Sumiton, and Dora to the main Jasper routes.

It is good to see that Walker County is making the initial steps to use public transit, and hopefully this experiment will be a success.

A major proposal calling for a major improvement of the MAX and the creation of a downtown streetcar system

Yesterday, the BJCTA executive director, David Hill, announced the proposal that would vastly improve the MAX bus system. The whole projected cost for this whole project is $115.2M, but $53.2 is supposed to be funded by the federal grants set aside by U.S. Senator Shelby. The streetcar system component is projected to cost $33M, but it must be funded totally by the City of Birmingham with its increased business license fees.

The details of the streetcar project is that the purchasing of 10 vintage streetcars costing $25,000-$35,000 each from Milian, Italy. The system would run along 18th and 20th streets from Central Station to Linn Park. It also calls for the creation of a pedestrian plaza along 20th Street similar to the 16th Street Mall in Denver. Also a maintanance facility will be constructed adjacent to the Central Station, the combined bus and train station on Morris Avenue.

Also the proposal calls for the total replacing of the MAX system fleet with all natural gas buses at a projected cost of $40M with $32M coming from the federal grants along with the purchase of 30 paratransit buses $2.2M with $1.8M from federal grants. The both of these components of the proposal is suppose occur by October 2009.

By March 1, the BJCTA plans on beginning a directing bus route connecting the City Center & the Southside to the Airport terminal.

A major proposal calling for a major improvement of the MAX and the creation of a downtown streetcar system

Yesterday, the BJCTA executive director, David Hill, announced the proposal that would vastly improve the MAX bus system. The whole projected cost for this whole project is $115.2M, but $53.2 is supposed to be funded by the federal grants set aside by U.S. Senator Shelby. The streetcar system component is projected to cost $33M, but it must be funded totally by the City of Birmingham with its increased business license fees.

The details of the streetcar project is that the purchasing of 10 vintage streetcars costing $25,000-$35,000 each from Milian, Italy. The system would run along 18th and 20th streets from Central Station to Linn Park. It also calls for the creation of a pedestrian plaza along 20th Street similar to the 16th Street Mall in Denver. Also a maintanance facility will be constructed adjacent to the Central Station, the combined bus and train station on Morris Avenue.

Also the proposal calls for the total replacing of the MAX system fleet with all natural gas buses at a projected cost of $40M with $32M coming from the federal grants along with the purchase of 30 paratransit buses $2.2M with $1.8M from federal grants. The both of these components of the proposal is suppose occur by October 2009.

By March 1, the BJCTA plans on beginning a directing bus route connecting the City Center & the Southside to the Airport terminal.

Is Birmingham dense enough to support some form of rail transit?

I have been pondering this for awhile now if Birmingham's urban core is dense enough to support rail transit.

I have noticed from the GIS maps that are available to the public like Live Earth that the corridor between Bessemer and Roebuck/Huffman & Irondale is quite densely developed. Also particularly along the corridor from Bessmer to City Center to Irondale there are actual rail lines owned by the CSX and Norfolk-Southern within these dense corridors.

However, the majority of our most recent growth has occured from the City Center southward, southeastward, and to some extent east-northeastward. Aside from the corridor from City Center to the Oxmoor Valley, Ross Bridge, and Bluff Park, there is no direct rails in place currently between these high growth areas and the City Center.

So the question of discussion I pose is could Birmingham efficiently support a rail transit system? If so what, what type could you recommend, light rail (LRT) or commuter rail?

I think it could be very successful. The problem is getting people to start using it, as well as finding the best locations for the stations. Light rail would be best. Having a system that ran along the interstates in the metro and having large stations at the interchanges would work with the patterns of people using the interstate system. Plus, it'd make it easier to place the tracks.

I think Birmingham should focus on a quality streetcar or light rail system. I like the proposals for downtwon streetcars between UAB and Five Points South. Plus the construction of a light rail line underground in downtown and then ground level in the metro. A south line would connect on the Red Moutain Expressway towards Homewood and then follow 280 all the way to 1-459. Then a leg of the same line would connect to the galleria and Hoover. The light rail line would also have a north line that would connect to the finical distrct and BJCC and then follow O-20-59 to the airport. The intersection of the line would be at UAB. I good proposal to pay for this would be a 1 cent sales tax increase in Jefferson County to match federal funds. 50% towards mass transit, 25% towrds the airport, and 25% would go towards improveing the roads and highways. It is clear that the infastucture in Metro Birmingham needs to be impoved, but the question remains, Will the leaders of this area and the citizens of this metro unite for a clear common goal?

I have been pondering this for awhile now if Birmingham's urban core is dense enough to support rail transit.

I have noticed from the GIS maps that are available to the public like Live Earth that the corridor between Bessemer and Roebuck/Huffman & Irondale is quite densely developed. Also particularly along the corridor from Bessmer to City Center to Irondale there are actual rail lines owned by the CSX and Norfolk-Southern within these dense corridors.

However, the majority of our most recent growth has occured from the City Center southward, southeastward, and to some extent east-northeastward. Aside from the corridor from City Center to the Oxmoor Valley, Ross Bridge, and Bluff Park, there is no direct rails in place currently between these high growth areas and the City Center.

So the question of discussion I pose is could Birmingham efficiently support a rail transit system? If so what, what type could you recommend, light rail (LRT) or commuter rail?

Funding is not really the issue for Birmingham as it already has $100M set aside by U.S. Senator Richard Shelby to fund and begin development on an regional mass transit system that would include some form of rail. Our problem has always been finding a way to match this money locally which is more of a poltical thing than funding thing. Richard Shelby is on the Senate Transportation Committee and has already said that he would be more than willing to find and provide further federal allocations for our structure.

Atlanta is not a good example to follow as Marta was funded in the 70s as part of big Federal experiment to develop new transit technologies for use in the USA. (San Francisco and Washington DC were also part of this which is why all 3 of those systems share similar looks) Today it would be politically impossible, given current GA politics, to pull off such a system.

--------

I would recommend a look at Charlotte's new light rail line (opened last month) as it was built down a corridor that isn't particularly dense, but has the potential to be developed that way, and/or the system that was just approved to be built in Norfolk, VA. Both of these systems would seem to be much more appropriate for a city like Birmingham to study.

Generally in order to actually receive funding from the feds to build there has to be a significant amount of local funding added to the project before the FTA will recommend to congress to release the funds. Most systems seem to have about 50% - 60% local funding, but congress now allow's it to be as low as 20%. In Charlotte's case, the local population voted in a 1/2 cent sales tax that is used specifically for mass transit projects (no roads). I am not sure what they did in Norfolk's case. In both cases, there is a significant set of topics here on UrbanPlanet where you can learn more about it. Raleigh, NC also planned a commuter rail line, but failed to secure enough local funding and as a result the Feds ended up refusing to support that project and it was canceled.

The other component of this, which is usually missed, is that in Southern cities you also have to have a rather strong bus system in order to support a rail transit line. If that part is missing, then most likely, you can never generate the ridership needed to support a LRT line.

Funding is not really the issue for Birmingham as it already has $100M set aside by U.S. Senator Richard Shelby to fund and begin development on an regional mass transit system that would include some form of rail. Our problem has always been finding a way to match this money locally which is more of a poltical thing than funding thing. Richard Shelby is on the Senate Transportation Committee and has already said that he would be more than willing to find and provide further federal allocations for our structure.

The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority approved the overhaul of the transit system, including new buses, streetcars, expanded routes, an airport shuttle, Sunday service and reduced fares.

Construction of the streetcar system should begin in November of this year. Airport bus service will begin in March and Sunday bus service in October. By late 2009, the system will have a new fleet of 100 buses and 30 vans for paratransit.

Birmingham News: Broad transit plan offered

This is almost too good to be true. Amazing what a difference good leadership can make.

• 1 month later...

Transit System wants to win regional alliance

The BJCTA executive director David Hill has set a new mission to make the transit system a true regional mass transit system. Hill said that as the system is going through a major overhaul over the course of the year. He recently talked with Hoover, Vestavia Hills, Trussville, and Homewood governmental officials. Hoover has said that they can't contribute anymore, and if the BJCTA wants a true system to ask the state. Trussville officials said something of similar montra, but would reconsider it if they system continues to improve. However, Vestavia Hills, Homewood has said they are looking to add more service especially if the BJCTA becomes more frequent and an efficient alternative form of transportation.

It is admiable that Mr. Hill is trying and hopefully his initiative will pay off.

• 1 month later...

The BJCTA and RPC has began a major feasibility study of developing Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) along 2 corridors: Downtown to Five Points South along 20th Street and Central Station to Bessemer along U.S. 11 also known as Bessemer Superhighway. The first corridor has already been formally announced, but the other one is still in its preliminary stages and could be the first major corridor outside of the City Center explored to initiate BRT along. This could be great news as the latter corridor is one of the most densely populated and developed in this region and would be a catalyst to prove to critics and skeptics that Birmingham can support mass transit.

The BJCTA and RPC has began a major feasibility study of developing Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) along 2 corridors: Downtown to Five Points South along 20th Street and Central Station to Bessemer along U.S. 11 also known as Bessemer Superhighway. The first corridor has already been formally announced, but the other one is still in its preliminary stages and could be the first major corridor outside of the City Center explored to initiate BRT along. This could be great news as the latter corridor is one of the most densely populated and developed in this region and would be a catalyst to prove to critics and skeptics that Birmingham can support mass transit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be one of those taking advantage of this free bus service this summer because I would much prefer to ride than drive around traffic-laden Birmingham. Also this could be the initial spark that could help drastically increase ridership of the BJCTA system, but only if the routes and frequency is regular and prompt. However, it is a start and we have to start somewhere.

The plan to have buses run for free during the summer hit a speed bump today when the BJCTA's director, David Hill, announced that the agency couldn't provide free service until some portion of the funds promised to it were in the bank.

The payment from the city is to be drawn from funds earmarked for transit in the "Birmingham Economic and Community Revitalization Ordinance"'s doubling of business license fees, which was passed in December. The city has indicated that the payment will be made on July 1, two months after free bus service was thought to start.

BJCTA chairman Brian Hamilton swooped in to smooth ruffled feathers as the mayor was angrily calling for Hill's resignation.

Meanwhile thge BJCTA is hosting a pre-proposal conference for companies interested in bidding on the proposed 2.5 mile streetcar route from the intermodal station to the BJCC. The authority hopes to begin construction in November on the project, which is estimated to cost around $33 million (at about $2,500 per linear foot). The proposal deadline in June 30.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/04/mayor_...stem_manag.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stor...ml?ana=from_rss

After supporting the concept with a unanimous resolution last month, the city council rejected Mayor Langford's plan for free bus rides this summer, but Langford said the plan will go forward anyway. Who knows how this will end up. Too bad, the free passes could potentially bring a lot of new long-term riders into the system.

Council rejects free bus rides; mayor pushes on

After supporting the concept with a unanimous resolution last month, the city council rejected Mayor Langford's plan for free bus rides this summer, but Langford said the plan will go forward anyway. Who knows how this will end up. Too bad, the free passes could potentially bring a lot of new long-term riders into the system.

Council rejects free bus rides; mayor pushes on

Archived