KENNEDY PLAZA

Mij

I went to the February meeting of the state's Transportation Advisory Committee meeting last Thursday. Forget about an infusion of funds for trolleys or for almost any kind of improved mass transit for that matter. If it's not an earmark or repairing a bridge or pavement, it's not going to be funded. Rhode Island is disgraceful in that the ONLY money we have for transportation is federal money. The state provides only the bare minimum needed for match to the federal dollars and nothing else. The idea of investing for the long haul and to change how people travel seems to be foreign.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a bizarre twist of perception, my mom recently came to visit and we drove by Kennedy Plaza.. She comment on how nice of a park/plaza it was.. I said to her that people here despise the area, she said it looked nice.. So maybe to outsiders it doesn't show so poorly.. Who knows.. I personally don't mind it either.. I don't get what the big deal is and why its such an eyesore to people.. Maybe the park could be a little more usable...

In a bizarre twist of perception, my mom recently came to visit and we drove by Kennedy Plaza.. She comment on how nice of a park/plaza it was.. I said to her that people here despise the area, she said it looked nice.. So maybe to outsiders it doesn't show so poorly.. Who knows.. I personally don't mind it either.. I don't get what the big deal is and why its such an eyesore to people.. Maybe the park could be a little more usable...

This is very true.. I never actually use it.. And I suppose everything looks ok from arms length.. Except Manton Avenue.. One, I only take the bus home from the train.. Or if, well, there is inebriation from libations, and then I take a cab.. Because the buses dont run late anyway..

The main thing for me about RIPTA and KP.. None of the bus routes actually make sense.. You can't go anywhere without going to KP first.. Maybe thats what the gov definition of "intermodal" is: a central location where the spokes are disjointed and don't talk to one another.. Kind of like trying to get something accomplished @ City Hall across two offices..

(Where by the way, last Friday I was introduced to the fact that in the space/time continuum of City Hall, free markets cease to exist, and it costs $1.50 for a single black and white paper copy... I now know why our gov't is operating at a deficit.. Its the oppressive cost of paper and ink.. Not government spending on tax breaks and welfare as previously thought.. It rocked my world to the core.. <_< )

you can't go from O'ville to evil suburban East Side without going down atwells through fed hill, then winding through downtown, through KP, then hop a different line, backtrack and... At this point I give up.. I don't even know what the East Side looks like anymore..

Its like these bus routes were designed by an incredibly inefficient government or something.. Oh wait... :whistling:

you can't go from O'ville to evil suburban East Side without going down atwells through fed hill, then winding through downtown, through KP, then hop a different line, backtrack and... At this point I give up.. I don't even know what the East Side looks like anymore...

last Friday I was introduced to the fact that in the space/time continuum of City Hall, free markets cease to exist, and it costs $1.50 for a single black and white paper copy... I now know why our gov't is operating at a deficit.. Its the oppressive cost of paper and ink.. Not government spending on tax breaks and welfare as previously thought.. It rocked my world to the core..

You can't have a city without city residents.. I have yet to see a Smith & Wesson toting toddler @ KP.. let me rephrase, I have not seen a naked, armed tween @ Kennedy Plaza.. Its not scary there, its Disneyland..

Besides, isn't most of the drama there East Side teens vs South Side teens?

Friend of mine saw a guy walking around with a hatchet. When he started hacking at a tree my bud walked up and gave him what-for. The slasher actually stopped and walked away. Then my friend had the good sense to inform the police.

No word of a lie.

And for that matter, I don't think there's any public transportation anywhere that's free of the "degenerates" that Garris speaks of. That's the entire point of public transportation. It's public. Everyone takes it. Trying to redesign Kennedy Plaza to discourage these people from being there flies in the face of the very concept of urban transit.

For understanding sake, if possible, describe its relative safeness or unsafeness to:

Providence Train Station

Boston South Station

Back Bay

North Station

Grand Central NYC

Ruggles

Porter Square

Crack makes you thirsty, and so does ecstacy, that could be why.

As for weird people, my favorites were the woman sitting upside down on the T back from Boston, the kid who jumped out the wrong side of the T on the way back from Boston, and the guy on the 14 two years ago screaming in tongues. Oh and this guy a few weeks ago at a commuter rail meeting in Mass. that stated "we should tunnel route 24 in Taunton underground and build an Egyptian city over it."

I'm not that familiar with Ruggles, but I'm very familiar with the rest, and KP at times feels much less safe than all of the above (like Cotuit said, I don't know the stats). There have been some late hours at South Station (and especially Route 128 station) where I've felt somewhat at risk/exposed, but its not the same thing.

I think the closest in "feel" to KP might indeed be Port Authority in NY during some of the badder old days. Its similar in that there's a very high density of people clustered close together, all just waiting, and some simultaneous loitering who are up to no good...

Oh, that's fantastic... You just can't make better stuff up...

- Garris

Speaking of Dudley, here's a good bus story- Once I was on a bus coming out of Dudley Station. As we crossed Blue Hill Ave, the bus suddenly stopped and the busdriver got up to look out the door. Turns out a couple of kids in a Civic hatchback had rear-ended us. It was so minor that their car was barely damaged, and I hadn't even felt anything on the bus. So the bus driver says, "Ok, folks, we might be here a while. Regulations require me to ask if anyone needs an ambulance."

Suddenly everyone in the whole damned bus raised their hands, going "Ohh, ooh, me! I can't move my neck! Aah! Get me an ambulance!" I left them to sort that one out and walked the rest of the way home.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived