Urban Schools

Though not related to Charlotte, I went to a highly sprawled high school--Cary High, in Cary, ironically.

At the time I attended, I believe the student population was up close to 2500. Since then they have downsized a bit by placing the 9th grade class in the vacated East Cary Middle campus. East Cary Middle was replaced by a new middle school about 2 or 3 miles away.

Student population has grown steadily of course since the mid 1990s, and now even with no 9th grade at Cary High, their population is once again cresting 2000 I think.

The campus is a collection of one story buildings which has been added to over the past 50+ years. When I attended, several of my class changes required me to walk across campus. I had no time to piss or check my locker during the 5 minute period between classes. The hallways were gridlocked sometimes. I can't imagine a multistory school like that--the staircases would be absolutely impassable.

Allegedly WCPS is supposed to level all the old buildings at Cary High and build a completely new campus with a more radial layout. I imagine something like a "new urbanist" design for a high school campus. :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

The news bills it as "some schools are overcrowded, so why is CMS tearing down a school". The answer: suburban kids would rather go to a school 1k students overcrowded than Marie G. Davis Middle school.

There are plenty of schools in CMS under capacity. The problem is, they are poorly run or pull from neighborhoods with a negative reputation (in some cases deserved, imo).

This is one case where i'm not sure I fault CMS. The old school probably has asbestos problems, and design problems that would make it extremely expensive to bring up to today's standards. Getting a builder to build a brand new school will have a much larger result, most likely, than a renovation and expansion.

I just wish that the replacement schools CMS builds would be more timeless in design. why can't they use Piedmont Middle built in the 1920s as a design prototype? Most CMS's schools (with a few notable exceptions) have so many qualities of a big box store it is hard to love them.

• 3 weeks later...

Fewer Options for the Choice Plan

According to Dr. Susan Agruso of CMS, the district has a number of schools that are running over capacity. Under the new plan it will no longer be an option to choose an overcapacity school.

However, students who are already going to a school under the choice plan will still be able to go to a school even if it is removed from their list of options.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...es.8d08cc9.html

I just saw the handout for the new bonds today. It's mainly about enlarging schools because they are SO overcrowded.

North Meck

Independence

Butler

Myers Park

Providence

South Meck

^^All overcrowded (just to name a few)

Charlotte is growing so fast that by the time they add on to schools, they'll need to add some more :lol:

I've heard that their performance is decreasing as well. A factor could be all the low-income families moving to Charlotte. Charlotte's schools are too segregated in my opinion (economically and ethnically). The only schools I can think of that are pretty diverse (ethnically) are Olympic, East Meck, Independence, Harding.....

Diverse (economically) South Meck, Butler, North Meck <- They all have their share of low and high income students. (Butler: low - average) South meck, North meck (low - high)

Providence and West Charlotte are the two most opposite schools in Charlotte [in both categories]....

I've gotta agree... if you look at how the boundaries are drawn for these schools especially. The new Ardrey Kell high school will be even higher income than Providence!

As far as North Meck being enlarged, well they really oughta build a new high school in Cornelius or Davidson or something (i know that they're building one near Highland Creek, Mallard Creek High but that won't be enough).

I really hope this bond is approved by the voters - these schools need to be renovated and expanded. However, I think a lot of people are fustrated with CMS. I'm not sure if there is enough support for it - does anyone have a general idea?

The renovations proposed at the inner city schools consist of football fields and athletic equipment.

Yea, that really helps the academic potential of these kids. IMO it just enforces the idea that the only way they will be able to succeed is through sports when that is just not true. Public Schools should not have sports with public money. Its just not beneficial enough to the community.

Archived