Don't sleep on Olrando

orlandonative

In the last couple of month I have noticed that Orlando for the most part seems to be very disliked in these boards The reality is that you have a city that for all intent and purposes has been in development for what? 40 years? From a vibrancy stand point and development agenda of new proposals we are unrivaled. Before Miami gets pissed, understand we are not even talking the same level. Realistically, Tampa, Jax, Charlotte. Love them all, but c'mon. We're coming up.

August 2005- Ridgley Manor

Sept 2005- Dynetech

October 2005- Ivanhoe Towers

November 2005- 55 West

December 2005-Tradition Towers & Paramount

January 2006- Orlando Palace

Project Recap: For all those that fell behind in the news

The "400" Club;

Project name # stories approximated feet project address STATUS

1. 55 West at the Esplanade 37 stories 446 feet 55 West Church St. APPROVED

2. Ridgely Manor 36 stories 440 feet N. Palmetto Ave STEALTH

3. The Vue at Lake Eola 35 stories 426 feet 150 E. Robinson St. U/C

4. Ivanhoe Apartments #1 37 stories 420 feet 857 N. Orange Ave OCT05

5. Ivanhoe Apartments #2 37 stories 420 feet 899 N. Orange Ave OCT05

6. Tradition Tower # 1 37 stories 415 feet 168 E. Central Blvd 4QTR05

7. Tradition Tower # 2 37 stories 415 feet 168 E. Central Blvd 4QTR05

8. Dynetech Center 30 stories 400 feet 111 E. Washington St. SEPT05

The "300" Club

1. Orlando Palace #1 34 stories 330 feet 1030 N. Orange Ave JAN06

2. Orlando Palace #2 37 stories 360 feet 1030 N. Orange Ave JAN06

3. Solaire at the Plaza 30 stories 335 feet N. Magnolia address U/C

4. N. Orange Condos 34 stories ??? feet 759 N. Orange Ave WHOKNOWS

5. Washington St. Resd. 30 plus stories ??? feet 120 W. Jefferson Street MPB06/21

The "100-200" Club

1. Plaza South Tower 21 stories 289 feet N. Orange/Church U/C

2. Plaza North Tower 16 stories 221 feet N. Orange/Pine U/C

3. The Sanctuary 18 stories 200 feet S. Eola/Pine NEARLY DONE

4. Star Tower 18 stories 200 feet Osceola/Jackson 3QTR05

5. CNL # 2 12 stories 194 feet 400 S. Orange Ave NEARLYDONE

6. Paramount on Lake Eola 16 stories ??? feet 400 E. Central Blvd 3QTR05

7. Urban Innovations 15 stories 175 feet 217 N. Eola Drive REVISING

8. Florida Hospital Orlando 14 stories ??? feet 601 E. Rollins St. U/C

9. Winnie Palmer Hospital 11 stories ??? feet ???? U/C

10. The Jackson 8 stories ??? feet 521 E. Jackson St. U/C

11. 801 N. Orange 8 stories ??? feet 801 N. Orange Ave U/C

Other notables and future possibilities;

1.Orlando City Place. A massive development at SW corner of W. Colonial Dr & Hughey Avenue (50 & I-4 area)

2. Performing Arts Center massive complex to be located in the block bounded by Orange Ave to the west, Anderson to the South, Magnolia to the east, and South Street to the north. Almost the entire block. Design phase

3. Kodsi Development (Main & Main) Nw Corner of Orange & Colonial no released plans yet but it is supposed to be a massive development.

4. Palm Beach Land Trust (Pizzuti block) Currently in design with focus groups.

5. Orlando Centroplex renovations including TD Waterhouse, UCF School for Digital Film and Media, Citrus Bowl

6. Possible Downtown Marriott Relocation--- old 15 story building maybe sold to UCF for dorms and a new hotel somewhere else in the area.

7. 5th/3rd Bank relocation........possibly on pizzutti lot

8. EA Sports----- lease expires in Maitland in 2007. Somebody on here awhile back said they had seen a rendering of a proposed building in DT and that it would be huge.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't go as far as saying as the mere height and quantity of projects we have in Orlando really blow all of the other cities away. However, with the vibrancy and scene that we already have, I do think that our projects are some of the most complementary to the city that I have seen. Developer's seem to be really in tune with what's positive in the city currently, and are developing projects that will only enhance that.

I wouldn't go as far as saying as the mere height and quantity of projects we have in Orlando really blow all of the other cities away.  However, with the vibrancy and scene that we already have, I do think that our projects are some of the most complementary to the city that I have seen.  Developer's seem to be really in tune with what's positive in the city currently, and are developing projects that will only enhance that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like tall buildings just as much as the next person but the key is vibrancy and forward thinking. Something Orlando has and does very well. Mark my words "Orlando's skyline and downtown livability will rival if not surpass both Tampa and Jacksonville in the next ten years."

Imo, Orlando's downtown livability has already surpassed those in downtown Tampa and Jax. However, with the other two cities having just as many highrise proposals, if not slightly more, I wouldn't go as far as saying its skyline will surpass the other two, anytime soon, even if every proposal is built. I think it will be more in line with the future skylines of St. Petersburg or Fort Lauderdale.

I always thought to "sleep on" something meant to "think something over". Where the preclusion it was derived from a rap album is anyone's guess!

Anyway, that is a nice list. I've seen some of the construction already start in downtown Orlando, but it seems to be moving rather slowly. Maybe 2006 will be the year the cranes decend upon downtown.

I have to agree with the other posters on here. I know Miami was set aside from the Orlando vs. "FL City" comparison, but we musn't overlook that city's plans of adding 130 new high rises to their downtown. Tampa and Jax also have a substantial number of high rise proposals, all at heights that exceed our "limit" of 450'.

However, I have to voice my opinion that off all the cities in Fla, Orlando truly has more to see and do than the rest; even than the rest of the entire South I would wager. There's the obvious theme park experience, but I'm also including the east coast beaches, all within an hour's drive, as well as a burgeoning cultural scene, higher end shopping/dining, and an ever diversifying work scene.

That said, I'm glad I live in such a vibrant place! After being all over this great state of Florida, I'll definitely stay in Orlando!

Sorry, off topic - but I'm not familiar with the phrase 'sleep on'.  I can gather it means to dismiss...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct! When the person said not to sleep on Orlando, he or she meant do forget about or dismiss Orlando.

"Sleep on" must be some kind of new form of speech, perhaps derived from a rap album.  I hope we can all agree to use standard English rather than street slang on here so that we may be better understood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Sleep on" is a term used by some people up north in urban environs, but it can also be found on some hip hop songs.

The reason people "sleep on" Orlando is because they come for tourism and rarely realize what else is out there. Hopefully the perception that Orlando is a one shop kind of town will change, but even if it doesn't things will continue to diversify regardless.

"Sleep on" must be some kind of new form of speech, perhaps derived from a rap album.  I hope we can all agree to use standard English rather than street slang on here so that we may be better understood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Y'all don't allow dialects in these parts? :P

The reason people "sleep on" Orlando is because they come for tourism and rarely realize what else is out there.  Hopefully the perception that Orlando is a one shop kind of town will change, but even if it doesn't things will continue to diversify regardless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"To sleep on" is an urban, hip term. It means that you are oblivious to how potent or great something is, dull to the ascendancy of something. Orlando indeed an up and coming city. I think it needs to find a way to make its downtown a destination for people in the same way that its sprawling theme parks and suburban timeshares are.

How do yall just fall completely off the topic? Who started this "sleep on" thing. Just ask the guy who first who said it, It doesn't take a whole thread to figure out what one phrase means.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're trying to take away our fun.

How do yall just fall completely off the topic? Who started this "sleep on" thing. Just ask the guy who first who said it, It doesn't take a whole thread to figure out what one phrase means.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what does fall completely off the topic mean? :P

I think it needs to find a way to make its downtown a destination for people in the same way that its sprawling theme parks and suburban timeshares are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downtown already IS a destination for many people. The locals flock to downtown for entertainment and dining, as well as living. Downtown may not attract people the way the attractions area does, but I think most locals will contend that that is a good thing. Perhaps some tourism could spark other underdeveloped sectors, such as shopping, but if it means the Disneyfication of downtown, then I'm against it. Downtown already is pretty darn nice and active (for a southern city) and is only getting better. And it's doing it by catering to locals, not tourists.

Archived