Memphis' 1913 Hotel Chisca--conversion to Hilton

sleepy

This rusting old hulk has been sitting on Main Street smack between the center of downtown and the SouthMain area and right on a streetcar line. Plans have been rumored for years. Finally something happens.

Excerpts from:

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

"The $80 million project is a joint venture with a Florida-based development firm, Group One Productions Inc., and Area Hotels LLC, a developer of Hilton Hotels.

The project will include a new 110-unit Hilton Homewood Suites and the redevelopment of the Chisca Hotel into a 150-room Hilton Garden Inn that will also include meeting and office space. The planned development includes four square blocks surrounding the hotel.

The Chisca was built in 1913."

Pics:

The 1960's addition will be replaced by the Hilton Suites. The Hilton Garden Inn will be lodged in the original building.

44805464.jpg

original.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good project for Memphis and it's good to see an old structure like this saved. I also LOVE to see 1960s additions/buildings destroyed. Their architects cared nothing for the buildings which came before them and they richly deserve to have their monstrous creations razed.

• 5 months later...

This combined with the tentative proposal for the Sears building is exciting news. If only the trend can continue to encompass the Tennessee Brewery and Sterick. Then, most of the obvious large beautiful historic buildings will have been saved and restored (trying to think of others I may have missed).

• 1 year later...
Wow.

I thought that project was as dead as this thread.

But if you read the article, it says the hotel will be on the southwest corner of 2nd and Linden. That's not on the old Chisca site, but across the street. So it looks like the Chisca itself remains abandoned.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about the future of the Chisca. The blurb above does mention the possibility of doing something with the building. I just hope that won't include demolition. Is the building protected in any way?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived