I can't do a poll for some reason

doormanpoet

1) They will use it as a secondary field for amateur sports

2) They will tear it down and expand the Post Office maintenance facility

3) They will tear it down for residential and retail

4) They will tear it down and build an office park for more industrial businesses

5) They will do nothing, the sounds are not going anywhere

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been lots of things tossed around for the property. The discussions are with people who live in the vicinity. A park maybe in conjunction with expansion of the Adventure Science Museum. Throw in some neighborhood retail, residences and some nice commercial spaces and that area can really become more pleasant. I don't think it's on any developers short list at the moment, but I'd like to see something happen on a neighborhood scale.

I will go with the "They will do nothing, the sounds are not going anywhere" option at this point in time. Until there is a clear way to build the stadium (without new taxes or major city financial commitments) tath all sides can agree on, I don't see it happening at this point.

If the Sounds do go downtown, I would like to see the area reclaimed as a park. It is right next to Fort Negley and the Adventure Science Museum, and not far from the Old City Cemetary (across the tracks, I think). Maybe they could put some commercial (restaurants/retail) on Chesnut Street and have the rest of the area as a nice Metro Park...

The city isn't really spending any money on the park. The lions share of that 230 million will be payed for by the developer who is building the 600 residential units and retail that will surround the ballpark. The only thing the city is doing is donating the land and providing 20 million in tax increment financing for the sounds to build their ballpark. It looks like this thing may succeed in spite of the poor leadership and initiative on the mayors part. But I guess we shouldn't count our eggs before they hatch...or however that saying goes.

I'm curious to see how they are going to put 600 residential units onto that land. The Veridian has around 300 units if I'm not mistaken and its 31 stories tall.

The link to the article:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=42254

GTC, don't forget the additional 5 acres the devloper has just across from the Gateway Bridge. I do believe we'll see things go a bit higher than originally planned, but I hope they keep things in perspective with what will eventually happen next door at Rolling Mill Hill. Remember, the Viridian is a very thin building on a little bitty lot. There's a lot of thermal land (16 acres in all now). I sure wish someone who show me some pictures of this new plan, it's killing me. I'm very familiar with Strever's Baltimore (and beyond) projects and this could be amazing.

To keep this in perspective, the twin tower world trade centers in NYC sat on 16 acres with 5 other buildings!

I had a meeting with William Williams and he spoke to someone at Struever Bros. Today. There would be 4 15 story buildings on the site for the residential, retail and the ballpark. Plus, the police station would be demolished and that is at least another acre.

I love the talk of the redevelopment of the riverfront in the area where the development will transition from the entertainment district to the arts district (Gaylord/Symphony Center/Hall of Fame, etc.) to the greenway system. Work will begin fairly soon on the commuter rail station. It just seems this area's potential is finally being realized. It'll be a whole new "ballgame" down there. I have faith all this is going to work out fine.

Four 15-story buildings will add a bit more pizazz to the area without overwhelming the big picture.

Well, I stoked.

Archived