Which southern metro would you like to retire in?

krazeeboi

Which of these southern metro areas would you like to retire in?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these southern metro areas would you like to retire in?

• Asheville
    • Atlanta
    • Birmingham
    • Charleston
    • Charlotte
    • Columbia
    • Greenville-Spartanburg
    • Hilton Head
    • Huntsville
    • Jacksonville
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Mobile
    • Nashville
    • NC Triad (Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point)
    • NC Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill)
    • Orlando
    • St. Petersburg
    • Tampa

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My long long term plans include keeping a place in South Florida but also retiring to the country in either the Florida Heartland (Hardee, De Soto, Highlands, Polk counties) or one of the small towns in the Florida panhandle close to the water. I voted Tampa as it's the base of most of the heartland.

Charleston out of those on the list.

I also think Savannah, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, or southern Louisiana would be nice places to retire in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crap, I knew I forgot one....Savannah (let me see if I can get that rectified). I also hear that Oxford, MS is becoming a popular retirement destination.

Crap, I knew I forgot one....Savannah (let me see if I can get that rectified). I also hear that Oxford, MS is becoming a popular retirement destination.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well you could always include it with hilton head. it's not that far away from it. i wasn't aware that oxford was becoming a popular retirement destination. then again, the only times i've been there are for parties at ole miss :D

So far it doesn't seem like anyone wants to live their golden years in luxury in Hilton Head....or at Magic Kingdom. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I wouldn't mind retiring and working at Disney World. I think one of the coolest jobs for senior citizens is driving the tour boats to MGM Studios and Epcot. ;) I voted for Jax, though...what can I say?! I tell ya, that city is just so cool. I'd probably live on the Southside of the city limits and in or near Clay County or St. Johns County, closer to the beaches and golf courses.

Live in Charlotte, but could definately take it easy in Charleston. It was a toss up though. I could have chosen B'ham since it is my hometown. You always tend to gravitate to that which you know. It is just like that with people. I have to agree with Viper. I do not really want to live somewhere for 50 years, raise a family and then up and move to an area I do not really know. Not to mention, when you get older it is nice to be close to friends and family.

I would need two places. For the summer a place in the NC Mountains to escape the heat. It is great up there during the summer months. In the winter, one of the Carolina's cities would be nice most likely in Charlotte. I simply could not imagine moving back to S. Fla again. This is if I were to retire in the South.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I retire in the south, it will hopefully it will be in lovely Boca Raton, Florida. My maternal grandparents call it home and they love it. It's close enough to Miami for the vibrant life but far enough away to be in a resort like calm.

Charleston, Tampa or Orlando could also be on my list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but Oxford isn't that big is it? There are lots of retirement communities in Arkansas. Especially in the Ozarks.

Archived