Which southern metro would you like to retire in?

krazeeboi

Which of these southern metro areas would you like to retire in?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these southern metro areas would you like to retire in?

• Asheville
    • Atlanta
    • Birmingham
    • Charleston
    • Charlotte
    • Columbia
    • Greenville-Spartanburg
    • Hilton Head
    • Huntsville
    • Jacksonville
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Mobile
    • Nashville
    • NC Triad (Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point)
    • NC Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill)
    • Orlando
    • St. Petersburg
    • Tampa

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

The town i grew up in, TONS of retirees live there. The demographics however are changing somewhat since it is getting more and more expensive to live there plus the young families are calling Pinehurst home. More are now flocking to Whispering Pines, Woodlake or Foxfire Village for cheaper living.

The last place id ever retire is Florida.

Asheville for me. I'd live there now, if I could make it work. I love the mountains, rafting, hiking, skiing, and it so close to a nice downtown. I also like how the geography helps curb suburban sprawl to an extenet.

• 7 months later...

At the rate I'm going I'll NEVER be able to retire! But if I am able to, and I don't go with Plan A (Europe) or Plan B (coastal New England), I might consider Charleston or Savannah. I don't like the typical retirement communities. I don't like golf. I do like bocce, but I won't want to play only with ancient farts like myself. Charleston and Savannah are beautiful old cities that are walkable (important for an old person) and I'm sure there are a reasonable number of amenities in their old town sections.

I wont ever be able to retire. My plan is to save enough money to get to Buffalo after I'm too old to work. In Buffalo I plan on being homeless. I'm hoping that the first freeze takes me so that I don't have to spend too much time in the streets.

So there you have it, I'm retiring in Buffalo.

The Carolinas offer almsot any lifestyle you could possibly want. The geographic diversity of these two states, the combined variety of urban offerings, entertainment, arts and culture make it an ideal palce to retire. If I have to move to retire, I would stay in the Carolinas (or come back if I move away). I think that at this point in my life I can't say for sure what I would do. More realisticly I'll probably stay wherever I end up in my career.

Archived