6 Highrise Towers for Portsmouth Waterfront!

vdogg

I have this argument with a friend of mine all the time. I agree with you.

Being able to get around and do things on foot seems ideal to me. My buddy

always disagrees with this sentiment though. He likes his car. He likes his

suburban residence. He values all that green space and convinient surface parking that most proponents of density and walkable areas are out to rid us of.

Odd as it might seem to anyone here, suburbia is still a dream for many.

Probably for many more than nice urban dwelling is.

You are right.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Have any of you seen the Inside Business paper for this week?

If you have you know that Portmouth is taking the proper steps to make the Urban Design Associates recommendations a reality. The city is asking developers to develop plans for three publicly owned parcels to help reach this goal. The plans recommend round-abouts to be added near the North Pier and create 240,000 sq. ft. of office and retail space, add 1,300 housing units and 3,500 parking spaces. They are offering grants and tax credits to the winning developers to help the process along. It's the same grants and tax credits that has help Norfolk spur devlopment in its CBD. Each parcel that is slated for development includes a mix of condos and town homes. On the North Pier parcel the city envisions a tower with condos complemented by office and retail and possibly a hotel. The two parcels facing city hall are zoned for mixed-use development and are eligible for special grants. The city would like to see a development that "sets a tone that creates the front door image for downtown Portsmouth. It also says that the city is open to a hotel and restaurant proposal, but the hotel must be a four-star hotel with a minimum of 250 rooms.

Willy those are great pics. Portsmouth does have a lot to offer but its public schools programs have many problem. The last round they lost grants for the only magnet school they have. It is public knowledge that Portsmouth teachers are not paid the standard in the area and they have been leaving for years heading over to Norfolk or Chesapeake. I really wish Portsmouth could somehow begin rebuilding a good teacher network. Since the city seems to be on a cusp of a mini boom I hope they can find a way to make some signifcant changes in the way the city has been budgeting its money.

Have any of you seen the Inside Business paper for this week?

If you have you know that Portmouth is taking the proper steps to make the Urban Design Associates recommendations a reality. The city is asking developers to develop plans for three publicly owned parcels to help reach this goal. The plans recommend round-abouts to be added near the North Pier and create 240,000 sq. ft. of office and retail space, add 1,300 housing units and 3,500 parking spaces. They are offering grants and tax credits to the winning developers to help the process along. It's the same grants and tax credits that has help Norfolk spur devlopment in its CBD. Each parcel that is slated for development includes a mix of condos and town homes. On the North Pier parcel the city envisions a tower with condos complemented by office and retail and possibly a hotel. The two parcels facing city hall are zoned for mixed-use development and are eligible for special grants. The city would like to see a development that "sets a tone that creates the front door image for downtown Portsmouth. It also says that the city is open to a hotel and restaurant proposal, but the hotel must be a four-star hotel with a minimum of 250 rooms.

Take a look, there are several pictures of what the city envisions. There is so much information in this file so please take a look!!!

Here's the bid for the developers

Is Holiday Inn Portside (the one in P-town's waterfront) closed? I'm sure they are going to demolish it any sooner because it blocks the view of the waterfront and Norfolk when you are in Portsmouth. I've been to downtown Portsmouth a few times, and I know all of the negative images of the city. I am sure the towers and redevelopment of the Crawford Street/High Street area is going to revitalize P-town and it will spread to the rest of the city. Which means a boom and a bonus for the city. People that fled Portsmouth will probably come back to its downtown. :shades:

These people are serious about making this happen.

They sure seem to be. It says that this is only the first of many RFQ's for downtown development. Throughout the RFQ you can tell that basically they really want an ass load of condo/office towers with retail on the bottom.

They sure seem to be. It says that this is only the first of many RFQ's for downtown development. Throughout the RFQ you can tell that basically they really want an ass load of condo/office towers with retail on the bottom.

Good can't you imagine the river with high rises on both sides! This would be great :yahoo: I hope they get their stuff together and make it possible. I hope they get some tall buildings too!

You guys love this guy > :yahoo: Don'tcha? LOL

I hope they get some tall buildings too!

Not only tall, but slender and with staggered heights, which would make for a dramatic skyline. And that's what they're looking for from the developers. That's what UDA recommended that along with mid-rise around the base to give a connected feeling. If the city follows UDA guidelines for the next 10-15 years Portsmouth will have one hell of a skyline.

You guys love this guy > :yahoo: Don'tcha? LOL

Not only tall, but slender and with staggered heights, which would make for a dramatic skyline. And that's what they're looking for from the developers. That's what UDA recommended that along with mid-rise around the base to give a connected feeling. If the city follows UDA guidelines for the next 10-15 years Portsmouth will have one hell of a skyline.

Lets hope so cause P-town has been cleaning up for a while now and lets hope it pays off for them. Schools are a big issue and so are they for Norfolk as well. If I'm not mistaken Norfolks are actually worse than P-towns.

Lets hope so cause P-town has been cleaning up for a while now and lets hope it pays off for them. Schools are a big issue and so are they for Norfolk as well. If I'm not mistaken Norfolks are actually worse than P-towns.

And I don't really think these condos will be marketed for people with school children, rather for YUPs and empty nesters.

Archived