6 Highrise Towers for Portsmouth Waterfront!

vdogg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A litting info on the Glen Allen (Richmond) based companies:

HCYU has worked on some high-profile projects including the Dulles Airport Expansion, Virginia Tech Corporate Research Campus, VCU Medical Center Massey Cancer Research Center, among others:

HCYU

As for Inframap Corp... well they should probably update their website. They used to be called Accurate Locating Inc. But they primarily work in Utility Mapping Services, Air/Vacuum excavation, computer aided drafting, support services for contractors, and support services for planners and engineers.

Inframap Corp

Just thought I'd let yall know...

These guys are also one of the plan holders. They look like they could be a major player if they plan on bidding.

Here

These guys are working on New Yorks WTC and they are trying to design a project here?! They have some seriously major signature towers in their portfolio as well. :shok: I can't wait to see their renderings. You can bet whatever tower comes out of them is gonna be tall. :)

edit: ah, spoke too soon. They're not architects, just project managers. It's still a pretty major firm to be working on a project here.

They're not architects, just project managers. It's still a pretty major firm to be working on a project here.
You're right, they may only be project managers but I bet they have some seriously good architects that they work with. After searching some of the planholder's websites I've found that some of them aren't major players and probably won't even bid. One thing that might make you all happy is that CMSS is not listed as a planholder. That don't mean we won't be hearing from them though. Lord I would hate to see six CMSS towers gracing the Portsmouth skyline.

Here's some more planholders.

These guys Global Investment Group are working on:

THIS

HBA Architecture

LandMark

Rancorn Wildman

• 1 month later...

Well thats the cities decision. Even if CMSS is the architect the city still has to approve it so it would be the city's fault. They need to make sure that it looks like what the city wants there. Hopefully its not bland. But a bland tower is better than no tower IMO. :rolleyes:

I would love to see a famous architect design these towers. Something like 6 white Meier towers would be amazing and unique for the city.

I would love to see a famous architect design these towers. Something like 6 white Meier towers would be amazing and unique for the city.

We're more likely to get 6 pink Oscar Meyer towers that plump when it gets hot and rainy. "My tower has a first name......"

How about 6 Leibeskin towers, like the two proposed in Sacramento? Or a little Calatrava? We've got nothing like that.

Slow down folks remember Portsmouth is the poorest city in HR and can barely pay its teachers a decent salary.

That's absolutely true. But it does have a beautiful waterfront view to take advantage of with some residential towers. Those would help expand the tax base. I'm just worried that we're so far behind the curve on getting that Midtown Tunnel expansion. And it hasn't helped that Ghent residents killed the Hampton Boulevard bypass plan. I think we have to revisit those issues somehow. Getting to and from Norfolk is a big problem.

Slow down folks remember Portsmouth is the poorest city in HR and can barely pay its teachers a decent salary.

Well this is a way to raise the tax base and raise the teachers salaries. If you just keep poor people in your city with no one paying into the tax base you will never become a successful city.

you say that like an architect actually makes alot of money. :rofl:

Having a well known architect designing something that would stand out for the city and have a "enter architect's name here" skyline would increase the tax base with having a higher condo and apartment values. Plus having a well known architect could stimulate tourism to not only see the towers up close, but to see them in the context of the city. A great way to get a Norfolk tourist to cross the river. Plus any reason to get someone orking in Norfolk to live in Portsmouth is a great idea.

These towers are going to be costly as it is, having a well known architect will barely affect the costs any more than hiring a no body architect or god forbid CMSS.

ps. does anyone in here think if anyone from CMSS reads any of these comments because I am hoping they do.

Bid docs

FYI,

The city of Portsmouth is on "Step Two, the Pre-Proposal Meeting" of the RFQ. The "Sealed Proposals" are due on Jan. 6th. By January 25th contract negotiations will have started and we should have some hard info. on this BIG project.

Here are some of the out of town plan holders:

Chas. H. Sells Inc. Charlton City, MA

HCYU and Associates Glen Allen, VA

InfraMap Corp. Glen Allen, VA

KUD International New York, NY

SCS ENGINEERS RESTON, VA

Woolpert , Inc. Dayton, OH

I would just like to point out that tommorrow is January ^th, and as Willy alludes too we should start getting some info on this project by months end. I have a feeling that this Portsmouth project will be our "Granby Tower" of 06' in as much as how important it is to the community and how much anticipation there is for this stuff to go through. I have a good feeling about this project and I think Portsmouth may be able to pull this one off. :)

I would just like to point out that tommorrow is January ^th, and as Willy alludes too we should start getting some info on this project by months end. I have a feeling that this Portsmouth project will be our "Granby Tower" of 06' in as much as how important it is to the community and how much anticipation there is for this stuff to go through. I have a good feeling about this project and I think Portsmouth may be able to pull this one off. :)

I hope so! It would make that waterfront look so nice from both sides.

I just hope with the market cooling that they don't shrink the amount of buildings and such there.

I hope so! It would make that waterfront look so nice from both sides.

I just hope with the market cooling that they don't shrink the amount of buildings and such there.

That's a possibility, more likely however is that they'd push one of the towers back a phase instead of completely scrapping it. Remember, the 2nd office tower at TC was supposed to have been built by now, but they pushed it back to the last phase because the demand just wasn't there at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are the other 3? It looks cool though

Two of the other towers were cut off by the border of the picture and they were only in one picture. I coudn't find the 6th tower in all of the drawings. The two (and likely the third) remaining buildings would be in the far left corner of the picture behind the two buildings I already made. They wouldn't be that visible at this angle. Cop out excuse, three high-rises in Portsmouth is probably more likely than six.

This is very early in the stages so we might not hear anything concrete for a while. I really think this in the vision stage by a urban planner and the city. Hopefully is does come to be. I have my fingers crossed! :whistling:

Yeah, but all the RFP/RFQ's were due earlier this month so i'm just anxious to see how that's going.

This is very early in the stages so we might not hear anything concrete for a while. I really think this in the vision stage by a urban planner and the city. Hopefully is does come to be. I have my fingers crossed! :whistling:

That's good to hear. ;)

I however think construction won't start for perhaps a few months, might have to wait on approval process, which could take longer, plus review for construction areas. There might be some shrewd contractors out there which might undervalue the projects so P-town should be more wiser to read the entire process. I know of some cities falling in a trap of awarding the job to the contractor with the lowest bid and then a few days or weeks later the contractors pile up debt and run themselves out. Better to read it thoroughly than award too soon. :shades:

Archived