Advantages of congested roads to the inner-city

OK, I said in another thread I wouldn't address this, but I will address it in this thread. I actually used to live in Vancouver, and still go back to visit every couple years or so. Any comments of my own I put in square bracked: []

The article is from: http://www.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/currentplanning/living.htm

Deleted! Read the forum rules concerning the posting of articles

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice article.

"Coupled with this is the principle of insisting on a rich housing mix, including both market and nonmarket housing, mixed incomes, family and non-family households, special needs housing, and unique housing choices (such as, for example, houseboats and lofts)."----now that's what we need in America along with new infill mixed use urban development.

Very nice article. But I think the planners are trying to give themselves a tad too much credit.

As the article said, Vancouver has a sucessful downtown largely because they never built anywhere near as many highways as any other metro in North America. Without hundreds of miles of massive 6 & 8 lane freeways tearing through the city, suburban living is not as competitive in the marketplace.

It's not about what Vancouver's (and British Columbia's) goverment did. It's about what they didn't do. I wish that more American cities had followed their example of inaction with regard to freeways.

OK, I said in another thread I wouldn't address this, but I will address it in this thread. I actually used to live in Vancouver, and still go back to visit every couple years or so. Any comments of my own I put in square bracked: []

The article is from: http://www.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/currentplanning/living.htm

Deleted!  Read the forum rules concerning the posting of articles

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see these rules. Are they in another thread?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the article (since it was removed) but a couple ideas on the topic:

As traffic congestion has increased in Minneapolis people are moving back into the city --so there is a correlation. However, I think a successful downtown needs to have lots of businesses, retail as well as theaters, sports teams etc. to give people a reason to want to live in the city. The benefits of the city has to outweigh the commute.

As for Atlanta --

there are three comparrisons we always here in Minneapolis. I'm not sue if they are accurate but here they are:

"Adding more lanes does not work --just look at Atlanta"

"We need to have a vibrant downtown or the entire city will suffer --just look at Detroit"

"If we loose the Twins or Vikings, we will be nothing more than a cold Omaha"

Archived