More people around?

Jenkins

Sunday night I was on Thayer street and Tuesday night Wickenden, and both times there seemed to be a lot more activity going on than last year. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like more people were out and about, and those were both "school" nights. Wonder if more people are living in the city? Last summer it seemed that things were quieter. Hmmmm...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday night I was on Thayer street and Tuesday night Wickenden, and both times there seemed to be a lot more activity going on than last year. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like more people were out and about, and those were both "school" nights. Wonder if more people are living in the city? Last summer it seemed that things were quieter. Hmmmm...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have seen Thayer St Saturday night. WOW! Plenty of people sitting at outdoor cafe's and walking about. There must have been 50 motorcycles parked near Dunkin Dounuts.

You should have seen Thayer St Saturday night. WOW! Plenty of people sitting at outdoor cafe's and walking about. There must have been 50 motorcycles parked near Dunkin Dounuts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I was there Friday night, and it was crazy then, too. I like all of the outdoor seating that is around now. Adds to the vitality of the area.

Actually I was there Friday night, and it was crazy then, too. I like all of the outdoor seating that is around now. Adds to the vitality of the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was there Friday nite too, having dinner with 2 friends outside of Paragon. (Gotta love the Penne Pesto Chicken).

The street was pretty busy, but surpisingly we didn't have to wait at all for a table.

I was there Friday nite too, having dinner with 2 friends outside of Paragon.  (Gotta love the Penne Pesto Chicken).

The street was pretty busy, but surpisingly we didn't have to wait at all for a table.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Small world, we ate at Paragon, too, but inside since it started to get a tad chilly out. No wait either, but the place was busy. Has anyone tried the new chinese place that opened up or the new club/restaurant (name escapes me)?

Small world, we ate at Paragon, too, but inside since it started to get a tad chilly out. No wait either, but the place was busy. Has anyone tried the new chinese place that opened up or the new club/restaurant (name escapes me)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't tried Shanghai, the first time I went there, the sit-down restaurant part was closed and I was really turned off by the mall food court feel of the takeout side. But my coworkers have eaten there since and say it's fine enough.

Are you talking about LaLuna (next door to Shanghai)? If so, I was there for dinner a few weeks ago, not impressed at all. Good selection of martinis, but the menu was weird. It was sort of creative American - a la Paragon, but there was just something... off about it. Plus, even though they dressed it up a bit, I can't stop associating it with Max's Upstairs. So, my overall impression was that it's trying too hard to be something it's not (hip and upscale) and failing. However, my BF loved it and would totally go back any time. Go figure.

Ya, that is what I meant, LaLuna. Sounds like I could skip it. Shanghai(sp?) did look very much mall-like from the street. Big pictures of the dishes over the counter. Yuck. But the more moderately priced restaurants Providence can get, the better. Love the upscale places (New Rivers, 3 Steeple, CAV, etc.) but that wears on the wallet. More places like Paragon and Andreas that have good food, reasonably priced with a fun atmosphere are needed.

More places like Paragon and Andreas that have good food, reasonably priced with a fun atmosphere are needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree! I love Andrea's!

I would definitely give Shanghai a try once the dining area is open. I have high hopes because it's part-owned by the guy from East Side Pockets, which I also adore.

Shanghai has two sides when you enter; one that has a style like you find in the mall. The otherside is a rather pleasant sitdown restaurant with full bar ( plasma tv so forth )

Unfortunately from street level you view the mall like side of Shanghai. Like I said above I enjoyed my lunch and thought the prices were fair and the food quality good.

Nyuszi the dinning side has been open for weeks atleast for lunch so I would also assume dinner.

Archived