Wilmore, Charlotte

sleightofhand

^"-- we aren't safe from crime anywhere"

People living in close-in neighborhoods, that join some of the most crime-ridden parts of Charlotte, have to be cognicent that some of this crime is going to spill into their neighborhoods and be prepared for it. There are other parts of the city/metro that see little to no crime like this.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^"-- we aren't safe from crime anywhere"

People living in close-in neighborhoods, that join some of the most crime-ridden parts of Charlotte, have to be cognicent that some of this crime is going to spill into their neighborhoods and be prepared for it. There are other parts of the city/metro that see little to no crime like this.

Definitely. Comes with the territory.

I was curious to why the details were so scant. Nothing concerning ideas on how the crime occurred..if it happened elsewhere and the body left on Camden. Or how the guy was killed. It was just labeled "homocide".

Why can't I find any press on this? I've googled a few things and looked through the paper...any details anyone? I heard about it from a business owner on Camden this weekend but all they knew was someone was found dead, not that it was or was not murder.

It is a bit odd given the local news predilection for sensationalist reporting. Seems like a dead body in the middle of the street in Charlotte would be right up their alley considering they have no problem making a big deal out of a dead pig in bugtussle.

This is blurb is the only thing I found on Charlotte.com: "Police found the city's 31st homicide victim lying in a street in South End early Saturday. Officers found Jeffie Levon Adams, 48, a little after 2:30 a.m. He was unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene.Police ask anyone with information to contact CrimeStoppers at (704) 334-1600". No mention of how he was killed or anything more :huh:

I know why it hasn't been well-reported. Not gonna say 'cause I don't want to get flamed.

Go for it if you know...

I suspect it hasn't been report because it was one of the local homeless guys and they don't make much news when they die or get killed.

I've asked the folks I know in the 'hood and they haven't heard either.

Sorry to change topics but I've learned some interesting stuff regarding Wilmore.

Apparently there are some folks in Wilmore who are trying to buy up the land there at Worthington and Tryon. Currently there is a Palmer's Auto, a Church, and a house that's going to be auctioned off.

I live in Wilmore Walk and every time I turn into my complex I pass right buy the Auto shop. Every day I wish a developer would come in and turn that land into something more appealing for the neighborhood.

At least now I know someone is trying.

I think some sort of retail and then maybe some office condos would do the trick.

Anyone else know more about this?

Sorry to change topics but I've learned some interesting stuff regarding Wilmore.

Apparently there are some folks in Wilmore who are trying to buy up the land there at Worthington and Tryon. Currently there is a Palmer's Auto, a Church, and a house that's going to be auctioned off.

I live in Wilmore Walk and every time I turn into my complex I pass right buy the Auto shop. Every day I wish a developer would come in and turn that land into something more appealing for the neighborhood.

At least now I know someone is trying.

I think some sort of retail and then maybe some office condos would do the trick.

Anyone else know more about this?

You have heard accurate whispers...be happy and stay tuned...

Not sure how much will be assembled for one project by one developer, but it is in the works. Rumor: palmer auto might be a restaurant, the small church part of the project, the duplex being auctioned likely not.

There is also a project being worked on that will be mixed use up to 4 stories, I think, with many lofts and possible brownstones. Will be between Camden and Tryon, with all phases will be half of a full block!

I've always thought that Park Ave. and Kingston between Tryon and Camden is the perfect spot for true brownstones.....I would love it if they would do them as zero-lot line single-family brownstones, because that would allow the owner to really customize them....something that hasn't ever happened here.

I've always thought that Park Ave. and Kingston between Tryon and Camden is the perfect spot for true brownstones.....I would love it if they would do them as zero-lot line single-family brownstones, because that would allow the owner to really customize them....something that hasn't ever happened here.

I don't think you will have to hold your breath for long. At least two brownstone or brownstone inspired projects are being looked at...

Those sites are perfect. I also like the direction the Camden / Tryon corridor is taking with The Kingston and other projects. Those huge open lots are ripe.

Hey Charlotte_native,

Seems like you have an inside view of projects in South End. Care to give a run-down of what's going on?

Any rumored projects on Mint St.? Specifics please!

I'll tell you what I can...

Mint Street -- wish list! There are folks looking at different sites on Mint, and there are a couple corners for sale, but a lot of Charlotte developers don't like to the the first to test the water. Mint Street makes complete sense from its location, views, etc., but no one has made an actual move that I am aware of. Mint will happen, but I think it is a bit down the road and likely after successful projects on Park, Kingston, Tryon, Camden...

As for those locations, I know of one project that is in the planning stages on much of one of the blocks between Camden and Tryon and was already mentioned above but will be a fairly large number of units and great views and great balconies and terraces. Not

As for other projects on the way -- just take a short drive down Tryon and look at all the vacant and cleared blocks and corners. There are tentative plans for all of those but time-frames and specific plans are not done. I do think once the project mentioned above is "out there" others will move more quickly and get started depending on how well it sells and is received by the buying public.

Could any boutique hotels be on the way for the area? That one has been tossed around quite a bit also and there are parties taking a very close look at the Camden Row for this...more than one.

I could not let those pictures represent Wilmore! Yes, they are in the neighborhood, I think on Merriman Avenue where average homes are not in as great a shape, these are from Wilmore Drive, Kingston Ave, and Park Avenue. Note the new construction, the high end renovations, the beautiful bungalows, and the quad converted to condos! :D

post-9752-1150317689_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317611_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317490_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317441_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317386_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317339_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317282_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150317220_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1150311423_thumb.jpg post-9752-1150311488_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317547_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150311423_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150311488_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317220_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317282_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317339_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317386_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317441_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317490_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317547_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317611_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150317689_thumb.jpg

The changes even in the past year are remarkable. It was almost like investors sat and sat and then when the LRT was definitely under construction, then prices shot up and reconstruction work increased exponentially.

Thanks for sharing the photos, Nostyle, but I am glad to hear they are older, as the other photos do show a much more advanced renovation status for the neighborhood.

One thing that Wilmore lacks that could hurt its value a bit compared to Dilworth is the lack of those huge 75 year old willow oaks. There might be a few, but tall tree canopies are definitely not the norm in Wilmore.

One of the factors that made the changes in Wilmore come slowly at first was the lack of homes available to buy. For the years preceeding the last couple, say before 2003, there were never more than a handful of properties that transferred. I know there were more that didn't use brokers, but not a lot, and the MLS on a year to year basis pre-2003 there were never more than 10 or so homes that sold. Now there are over 20 just this month.

With no homes to buy and improve to either sell or live in, nothing CAN change. With homes available, ranging from 800 to 3000 SF, the choices jumped, the new homeowners jumped.

In 2000 8 homes sold on the MLS in Wilmore

In 2001 there were 5

In 2002 there were 10

In 2003 there were 13

In 2004 there were 23

In 2005 there were 42

since january 2006 there have already been 25, there are 19 currently for sale and 9 homes pending

When the market heated up and the sales prices jumped, investors started selling, some who owned multiple homes. This allowed the prices to increase as there were homes for people to buy. In years past if you wanted to be in Wilmore you might not have found a home.

I definitely think the rail was a factor for those moving in, but prices were a factor for those finally letting go -- and many of the homes they sold were the run down rentals that had hurt the neighborhood for so long due to their condition and the "businesses" being run out of them by the tenants. Not to imply that all the rentals had bad tenants, but a few did and that was all it took to make a block rough.

One block on Kingston only has 12 homes all on one side of the street. The first time I drove down the street there were prostitutes on it during the day, open dealing, older drunk guys sitting on many of the stairs and guardrail, and trash / mattressess, etc, piled all over the empty side of the street. Investors either bought or began renovating six of the homes. The remaining homes only two were rentals and 4 were long time homeowners. Since all the homes have sold, and at around $175 - $200/foot and the street is one of the best looking in the neighborhood. One of the photos I posted showed a view down the street -- it is the one with the little brick bungalows with gabled porches.

Lots more has happened, but that is one example of how a whole block changed in 8 months.

Archived