Wilmore, Charlotte

sleightofhand

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the good ole days when places were named for people tied to the land, and not just some gimmicky marketing name developed to sound like something it is not.

Since we have to rename everything, and it has to be cute/clever/fake olde english, maybe Wilmore should change to Wylmoore Pointe at SouthEnd

• 2 months later...

post-9752-1156366095_thumb.jpg

Here is a rendering of the building that has been discussed that is coming on Park Avenue behind Price's. This is the first step for this kind of development on the border of Wilmore. Hopefully the rest of the vacant and rezoned blocks up and down Tryon will finally get started if this sells well -- this is supposed to go on the market within the next couple weeks.

post-9752-1156366095_thumb.jpg

Wow! What street will this be on? Mint?

I'd love for someone to post a condensed list of all the new projects that are going up in Wilmore.

So far the only ones I'm aware of is the Blvd Co's building on Summit and Church and now this project behind Price's.

It's on Park Avenue between Tryon and Camden. There is a large lot behind Price's, this is not on the paved part of the lot, but between that and the white house on the corner.

I don't know of any others that have gotten past the land acquisition stage or the assemblage stage. I saw plans last week for the light rail stop on Camden beside the Blvd Company site -- they also had renderings of BC plans -- that place will look great, I just wish they would get started already...that has been in the concept stages for what seems like forever.

Thought I'd share a scoop I got from one of the neighborhood guys a few days ago:

His grandfather, who owns the 3 acres at the northeast corner of Tryon and West Blvd, has been in discussion with condo developers to sell his house/land.

Take it for what it's worth. He was obviously under some kind of influence when he shared it.

Thought I'd share a scoop I got from one of the neighborhood guys a few days ago:

His grandfather, who owns the 3 acres at the northeast corner of Tryon and West Blvd, has been in discussion with condo developers to sell his house/land.

Take it for what it's worth. He was obviously under some kind of influence when he shared it.

its a good rumor but a quick check of polaris reveals that the 6 parcels closest to the corner are owned by 5 different entities.

its a good rumor but a quick check of polaris reveals that the 6 parcels closest to the corner are owned by 5 different entities.

Much of the corner from Kingston to what was Chris' Chicken Palace (along Tryon) has been bought by one group. The last remaining piece is the little white house behind the Chicken Palace and they are looking to buy it -- maybe that is what he was talking about -- just the house!

The little row of bungalows turned business on West have been up and down for sale for a couple years -- the price keeps jumping each time something new happens in the area but always just above what it is really worth.

Still that's good information to know!

I've been hoping for that particular intersection to be developed. I'd love for someone to come in and purchase the awful, Checks Cashed store on the south/west corner of Trade and Tryon.

A little further down Tryon I believe that the land on either side of the Worthington/Tryon intersection is available.

Currently it's a old car lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Also seems like even more homes are under renovation. This neighborhood is turning faster than I ever thought it would.

I'll be really surprised, however, if a few of those $400,000 homes sell for anything but the high $300,000s. The one on W. Kingston, in particular, is fugly.

Do investors in Wilmore honestly think they'd get the $500k-$400k prices they are asking for their newly renovated homes? I mean, come on....you put Lowes/ Home Depot materials into a home you bought for $150k that was run-down, and now because of that, you want double?

I realize Wilmore is growing and is coming around, plus the hype of the light rail and the new YMCA will draw attention, but to think these homes are Dilworth calibur is absurd. I don't get what all the charm is about Wilmore, as I drive through the area and still see drug deals being done, prostitutes soliciting, people staring at you when you drive by as if they want something from you. Sure, the area will come around in several years, possibly much faster than other areas of Charlotte, but to think that it is HERE already, and thus, let's charge 1/2MM for a house is totally ludacris. Heck, I can buy a home in a much safer, better constructed home in Dilworth for the same price than that. I just don't see how someone could possibly think buying one of those homes for that price would actually enjoy living there. JMO though.

Do investors in Wilmore honestly think they'd get the $500k-$400k prices they are asking for their newly renovated homes? I mean, come on....you put Lowes/ Home Depot materials into a home you bought for $150k that was run-down, and now because of that, you want double?

I realize Wilmore is growing and is coming around, plus the hype of the light rail and the new YMCA will draw attention, but to think these homes are Dilworth calibur is absurd. I don't get what all the charm is about Wilmore, as I drive through the area and still see drug deals being done, prostitutes soliciting, people staring at you when you drive by as if they want something from you. Sure, the area will come around in several years, possibly much faster than other areas of Charlotte, but to think that it is HERE already, and thus, let's charge 1/2MM for a house is totally ludacris. Heck, I can buy a home in a much safer, better constructed home in Dilworth for the same price than that. I just don't see how someone could possibly think buying one of those homes for that price would actually enjoy living there. JMO though.

I guess the answer is "yes" the investors think that because houses have closed that high. Multiple homes have closed over $400,000 and I know someone buying one now for $480,000. As for the calibur of Dilworth, you might want to see some of the homes. They are of that quality. The ones I have been in that are at that price level are as nice, or nicer than many I have been in in Dilworth and I've lived in Dilworth of 10 years and seen quite a few homes. That isn't to say some folks haven't done cheap jobs expecting high profits, but that is the minority and those houses are still for sale or get dumped at lower prices -- think about it, if you are going to ask top dollar in a somewhat risky neighborhood, you likely have to put in BETTER quality to make the sale. I've seen $300/foot homes in Dilworth sell with laminant counter-tops and kit cabinets in the kitchens.

I have friends that live on West Blvd on the corner of Wickford -- beautiful home -- they spent over $100,000 on their kitchen alone -- to the degree that SubZero came and took photos of it for a national ad. Many homes have cheaper Lowe's, Home Depot finishes, but that is the case in any of the neighborhoods in Center City. Many do not and have impressive calibre work.

The listing on Kingston for $579,000 has hand built solid wood doors, same for the cabinets, heavy duty special order hardware, etc. The one mentioned in the thread above for $405,000 on Kingston is a crappy renovation and is not sold. One thing investors and builders in this, and any, neighborhood should never do is assume buyers are dumb or blind. Cheap finishes tend to be passed over or prices drop to the point where they realistically should be.

I think the reason some people choose Wilmore over Dilworth, at least why my friends have done so, is your $400,000 will buy you a 2 bedroom with minimal updates in Dilworth -- in Wilmore it is a home twice as big completely done and new. Dilworth = $300/foot, average, Wilmore = $180 - $200/foot, average (for renovated homes). My friends that have bought there assume that in the next couple of years that gap will be gone or close to gone which gives them a hefty profit. As for better constructed in Dilworth, they were all built in the same period with the same guidelines and materials -- how are Dilworth homes better built? If you are talking about some of the homes on Dunkirk, Spruce, and Merriman Avenues, yes -- they were built in the 40's and are lacking, but the rest of the 'hood for the most part was built in the 20's and 30's. I live in Dilworth -- so I certainly love it, but I like the homes in Wilmore just as much and the neighbors aren't the family oriented, SUV driving, somewhat snotty ones I have now. Wilmore is now what Dilworth was when I moved in -- a bit more fun, laid-back, eclectic, artsy.

I just love how people say "it won't happen in Wilmore" when it already has...

Dilworth and Wilmore are so close to each other. What was the issue or issues that prevented the revitalization from hopping across to West Blvd? Crime was bad in Dilworth years ago but that was driven down and Wilmore was left lagging. While the area is getting much better now, its still a jarring change when going back and forth. And do you think West will eventually become as landspaced and gentrifyingly sterile as East? :lol:

Listen, I'm not here to jar about the Wilmore neighborhood or its close proximity to Dilworth....I ALREADY know about that. And I certainly believe you in that several of the homes that DID sell for the $400s up to the $500s really ARE worth that price considering the high marksmanship and quality materials the homeowners and investors used. What I am getting at is the obvious fact that several Wilmore investors think their homes are worth a fortune and want to command that kind of price given the way how they renovate the home.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Wilmore become a Dilworthesque look in the near future, and it probably will, but it'll be sad to see some of those homes butchered by investors who want to spend as little as possible with the cheesiest materials and trying to command prices on their newly renovated homes for a double profit.

Look at the homes listed on the MLS now...most of them have been sitting on the market for quite some time, and I have every reason to believe because the owners all want top dollar for their homes when it is obvious they shouldn't get that. Then you have some homes that have sold where you scratch your head and say, why so much?

And you are correct, they hype in real estate is just about gone. You won't see buyers across the board anymore throwing money at homes that they haven't seen. A couple of years back, I remember some buyers who only was concerned about its location, price didn't matter, and hence, they didn't even take the time to look personally at the property. Nowadays, if you want to fetch top dollar, your property better be worth top dollar.

That's the point I'm trying to get at here about Wilmore. I come across 100s of people at the Y who continuously tell me Wilmore, Wilmore, Wilmore will be my retirement pool. I just look at these greedy people with a straight face and break down laughing. People really think they can buy a Wilmore home for the low $100s, put only $30-50k in the entire renovation project, and expect to come out with a $450k sale in a matter of months. I don't know what they are smoking, but I want some of that.....get my drift?

And as for the new Y project, it will be further down West Blvd. It was a big article published in the Observer a couple months back.

Schools.....lots of families with kids live in Dilworth....not so much in Wilmore.

Lots of kids in Wilmore, just not a lot of white ones (just being honest). Check out the streets around 4 right after schools let out. My step brother and his wife live in Wilmore with their three kids. One of my good friends from college lives there with his two also. But for the most part new arrivals in the 'hood are childless.

Dilworth and Wilmore are so close to each other. What was the issue or issues that prevented the revitalization from hopping across to West Blvd? Crime was bad in Dilworth years ago but that was driven down and Wilmore was left lagging. While the area is getting much better now, its still a jarring change when going back and forth. And do you think West will eventually become as landspaced and gentrifyingly sterile as East? :lol:

Before the changes on South Blvd it was a ratty, run-down, former industrial area that created a perfect 2 block "wall" between Dilworth and Wilmore -- the perfect example of "wrong side of the tracks". With the developments up and down South and the creation of SouthEnd and the design aspects of the area, the former boundary that kept everyone away became a bridge that brought the two areas together. It used to be no one wanted the part of Dilworth that was close to South Blvd. Even the big beautiful really old homes around Kingston, Cleveland, Euclid were mostly cut up into low rent apartments (as recently as 3 and 4 years ago for some).

As for sterile East Blvd -- it is nice enough to walk up and down on a Sunday morning isn't it :ph34r::)

What I am getting at is the obvious fact that several Wilmore investors think their homes are worth a fortune and want to command that kind of price given the way how they renovate the home.

That's the point I'm trying to get at here about Wilmore. I come across 100s of people at the Y who continuously tell me Wilmore, Wilmore, Wilmore will be my retirement pool. I just look at these greedy people with a straight face and break down laughing. People really think they can buy a Wilmore home for the low $100s, put only $30-50k in the entire renovation project, and expect to come out with a $450k sale in a matter of months. I don't know what they are smoking, but I want some of that.....get my drift?

And as for the new Y project, it will be further down West Blvd. It was a big article published in the Observer a couple months back.

I hope I didn't imply that there weren't cases of just what you are talking about, but the blanket statements or assumptions that all homes there are cheaply done is just wrong. If you go look at the ones that have sat on the market for months they ARE poor renovations -- the ones that have sold high, though, didn't sit for months. The home at 1701 Wilmore Drive that was listed for $525,000 sold in less than a week. Another home on Wilmore Drive that sold for $435,000 sold the week it was completed. A home on Kingston that sold for $425,000 only sat on the market for a long time because it took that seller that long to finish it -- it was "sold" or pending the whole time.

If a home is done well and is in a good location in Wilmore, it will sell quickly. Those that think a Home Depot kitchen, some paint, and poly on the hardwoods is a renovation learn their lessons quickly. A home on Park Ave that had a crappy renovation that was cheaply done did sell for the mid $300's, but it took many months, the price fell over and over, and it went under contract twice and the buyers backed out after inspections. The market has a way of correcting itself and no one in Wilmore is upset when a cheaply done home withers on the market -- it runs the low end renovators out of the area.

Archived