Welcome

monsoon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll hang out in here some to see whats going on. That is if my neighbors on the other side of the Mississippi are okay with a West Tennessean hanging out in there forum. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem, everyone is welcome.

Yes... Congrats! For this to be the home state of my favorite politician I want to know all about it. Good things I hope. Take lots of pictures and post them often!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kinds of things do you want to know? General info, something more specific? Let us know and we'll try to help you out. :D

What kinds of pics you want?

What kinds of things do you want to know?  General info, something more specific?  Let us know and we'll try to help you out.    :D

What kinds of pics you want?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pictures of skylines, urban areas, etc. :)

New urban developments, large projects..

Pictures of skylines, urban areas, etc.  :)

New urban developments, large projects..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well looks like you have to mainly look to Little Rock for that. I don't think everyone realizes how rural Arkansas is. I think the Dallas-Ft Worth, Houston, and Atlanta metros each have more people than all of Arkansas put together. Little Rock is the only area that would classify as most people meaning of the word 'city'. There have been some posts and pics in some of the Little Rock topics. Occasionally there is something done outside of Little Rock.

lol.  Tell me about it mith.  I look forward to the day when NW Arkansas (and maybe even Conway) form their own healthy urban centers.  Then again, Conway is considered part of the Little Rock metro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I admit in some ways I like that Arkansas is the way it is. Sure I do miss certain things and it would be nice to have some more urban areas. But I really like that much of the Arkansas outdoors are still somewhat wild. I have read articles mentioned that Arkansas is about the only place left in the eastern US that still has some areas that feel wild. I guess a nice medium would be nice.

True. Arkansas is really lucky to have all those people who worked hard to protect large tracts of land. The effort to save the Buffalo River in the 70s comes to mind and all the communities who protested the construction of dams.

When Florida was look for a place to re-release the Florida Panthers to in ALL of the Southeast, the only suitable location (besides the Everglades themself, of course) was Arkansas. In fact, two locations: the Ouachita and Ozark national forest were the only tracts of land big enough and rugged enough to safely house Florida Panther populations.

Of course, the AGFC told Florida that we don't want their panthers. Those forests are the lifeblood of our natural tourism industry!

Right, and hopefully the discovery of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker in the Delta will bring some of that area back to life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be nice to help the economy of the area. I just hope things don't get out of control and their habitat becomes overgrown with tourists.

haha.  i'm just giving you a hard time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah having that type of attitude here in Fayetteville wouldn't make you very popular. Did you hear about the person who stayed up in the tree to try to stop some development a while back?

Just keep the info coming. My lovely wife grew up in Augusta, was runner-up Arkansas Junior Miss, graduated from UA, and still lapses into a bit of a twang every Christmas when we drive up to Augusta.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious, are you from the south? I was always curious what other people, and other southerners thought of some of the Arkansas accents.

Just curious, are you from the south?  I was always curious what other people, and other southerners thought of some of the Arkansas accents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was born and raised in Gainesville, FL. So I'm told my accent is fairly nondescript. Although I'm certainly not ashamed to say my family's steeped in Southern tradition. I love the South.

As to my wife, you know, I can't remember her telling me that anyone has ever made fun of her accent, apart from a playful jibe here and there.

Also - and this is interesting to me - my wife moved from Arkansas after college, whereas her sister remained. So years in Florida have taken the edge off my wife's accent. But all I have to do is talk to her sister to imagine what her accent would be like had she remained in Arkansas. :)

Archived