Welcome

monsoon

I was born and raised in Gainesville, FL. So I'm told my accent is fairly nondescript. Although I'm certainly not ashamed to say my family's steeped in Southern tradition. I love the South.

As to my wife, you know, I can't remember her telling me that anyone has ever made fun of her accent, apart from a playful jibe here and there.

Also - and this is interesting to me - my wife moved from Arkansas after college, whereas her sister remained. So years in Florida have taken the edge off my wife's accent. But all I have to do is talk to her sister to imagine what her accent would be like had she remained in Arkansas.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of my coworkers moved to Fayetteville from Hot Springs over a year ago. It's funny because he's complained that she's losing her 'southern' accent up here in Fayetteville. I consider accents very interesting. I've considered starting a topic about accents. But wasn't sure if anyone would be interested or think it was fitting to a website like this.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my coworkers moved to Fayetteville from Hot Springs over a year ago.  It's funny because he's complained that she's losing her 'southern' accent up here in Fayetteville.  I consider accents very interesting.  I've considered starting a topic about accents.  But wasn't sure if anyone would be interested or think it was fitting to a website like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I share your interest in linguistics. I'm always guessing where people are from when I meet them initially. And even though I'm a floridian, I'm sure that I have an accent to some people.

Maybe you could launch a thread on the general Southern Forum ?

Oh, I share your interest in linguistics. I'm always guessing where people are from when I meet them initially. And even though I'm a floridian, I'm sure that I have an accent to some people.

Maybe you could launch a thread on the general Southern Forum ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be interesting. For the longest time I was always trying to figure out other's accents(other regions or countries). Then I realized I don't know as much about southern accents myself. I can pick out some southern accents, but a lot of times I can't tell what part of the south someone is from by their accent.

That would be interesting.  For the longest time I was always trying to figure out other's accents(other regions or countries).  Then I realized I don't know as much about southern accents myself.  I can pick out some southern accents, but a lot of times I can't tell what part of the south someone is from by their accent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I can't generally tell North Carolinan from Texas. But I can tell New England, Mid-Atlantic and Upper Midwest.

You know, I can't generally tell North Carolinan from Texas. But I can tell New England, Mid-Atlantic and Upper Midwest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard people mention they can pick out a Texan accent. Until recently I never really thought that much about the differences in southern accents. By the way I've started a topic under the main South forum about accents.

Wilkommen y'all. Wait a sec, I think that's down in Texas. Just got carried away with all of us German Arkansans/Arkansawyers. :D

P.S. For anyone who doesn't get the reference, there is a lot of people of German ancestry around the Hill Country in Texas near San Antonio. It's a greeting they like as a mixture of both cultures.

Hmmmm...things were going pretty fast and furious for a while there. Things seem to be slowing down a little bit. It'd be nice if we could get some new people to post. I've seen quite a few look around at least. Still for only being a week old, I guess we're still doing pretty well. I don't think we're that far behind on the Texas forum as far as responses are concerned and I think that forum has been around over a year. But Texas does have quite a few more topics as Arkansas's.

I don't want carpal tunnel's, mith :-) .  I've been cutting back a bit too, because I use my computer to study for SAT/ACT (which I'm like 3 days into).  Also, I'm just running out of topics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I know, I guess I had gotten a little used to things going pretty fast there. But yes it would help if we got some other people to post some. It's nice to see people coming over and checking things out. It would just be nice if we could get a few of them to post.

By the way, good luck with your studying. Help pump up those Arkansas scores! :D

I think it has pretty much gotten to the point that if you type in any urban topic affecting arkansas into google, you get a link to this forum on the first page or near the first page. try it sometime.

and we definitely need a conservative here to balance the crazy liberals ;)

We seem a little less conservative than Arkansawyer.  Hopefully we won't run him off.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, someone's got to enlighten you! :D

Really though, the rate of posting will naturally become slower than the first few days from us. The hope is that over time, more and more people will discover the board until it no longer needs a few certain people to carry it. I'm sure this will happen as more topics from the forum show up on search engines. That's how most people discover these places. Already, we've seen a few new posters join. The success of this thing can't be viewed on a daily basis. How many new posters we get each month will be a good indication of the board's health.

Well, someone's got to enlighten you! :D

Really though, the rate of posting will naturally become slower than the first few days from us. The hope is that over time, more and more people will discover the board until it no longer needs a few certain people to carry it. I'm sure this will happen as more topics from the forum show up on search engines. That's how most people discover these places. Already, we've seen a few new posters join. The success of this thing can't be viewed on a daily basis. How many new posters we get each month will be a good indication of the board's health.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I know, but still wish I didn't have to wait. Like I mentioned before, considering it's only been about a week we're doing pretty well. We aren't too far behind the Texas forum on responses when they've been around over a year. I'm just hoping it just doesn't die off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm must say I'm amazed how quickly you guys have built up the Arkansas forum. Seems like its just exploded with activity the first couple of weeks. You guys have created some great topics and the replies are very informative rather than the "I agree" type. Keep up the good work. BTW, I think this post will tie Arkansas with Texas at 530 posts each. :thumbsup:

There is alot to be said for a large number of replies. Arkansas has an average of 16 replies per thread (which is the same as SC btw) and Texas has about 6. monsoon is right, this forum seems to be growing pretty fast. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Y eah I've noticed it's died around here, and not just on the Arkansas forum. Guess there are a lot of people traveling at this time of year. It does make it a little hard keeping discussions going when it seems to be just me and johnnydr87 here lately. Although he does do a very good job introducing new topics of discussion.

Haha thanks. You're a very skilled and informative poster too. You're on top of things in Arkansas, so it's not as hard to continue topics (like it was wayyy back in February). Although I'd still love more input. I'm sure there's much we missed.

323 posts! Nice work.

Well I tend to ask lots of questions. I sometimes feel bad because I could probably find some of the info myself. But I keep hoping if I keep asking questions maybe I can get someone involved in some of the discussions. :D

And i don't mind the questions. It keeps things going. Imagine if they had started this forum with only one major poster... it would have been a much slower start.... I wish I knew more about the happenings of OK, because I love the state and would want help it.

BTW, I was just wondering how some searches would return in google. Type in Little Rock Projects, and we're the second hit.

Archived