Barack Obama for 2008?

M. Brown

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

slim in my opinion. I think he needs to consolidate some power in the senate before he moves up the political ladder. He's young and has time. A bad primary or presidential campaign can ruin political careers.

That being said, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. I've already threatened to move if we get a Clinton/Bush runoff in 08.

slim in my opinion.  I think he needs to consolidate some power in the senate before he moves up the political ladder.  He's young and has time.  A bad primary or presidential campaign can ruin political careers.

That being said, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.  I've already threatened to move if we get a Clinton/Bush runoff in 08.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you say Clinton/Bush, do you mean Hillary and Jeb (respectively)?

^I think he would have too. Bush 41 is too old :)

I hope Jeb does not run. Ever. That would not look good for the Republican Party. Obama has a really good shot at president one day. He just has to take his time and play his cards right. He is an excellent orator. I can't say that I wouldn't vote for him one day- unless its against Mark Sanford :rolleyes: Now that would be an interesting campaign.

Realistically, by the time the USA is ready to elect a Black man to President, Obama will be too old to run. The Democrats could run him as a Vice president in the future, but that will only insure they will lose another election

Remember with just one exception. All US Presidents have been members of the WASP males only club.

I'm with monsoon on this one....I still think it's highly unlikely for a black person to get elected. There are still strong pockets of racism all over the place, although it's not as loud and defiant as it once was.

Wesley Clark 2008.

I saw Barack Obama yesterday while visting Washington, D.C. Unfortunately I couldnt get any pictures because I was in the Senate Gallery during a tour of the Capitol. I also saw McCain and Lieberman (SP?), he has natural charisma and is very well spoken.

It's true its all been WASPs but really theres only been seven elected since the 1964 Civil Rights Act, so give it time, I think Jeb is done in a lot of respects among Republicans I think if Hillary Clinton runs the GOP will have Condi run, and I think if that's the contest Condi wins, I believe shes the only one that could carry the party in the primarys AND beat Hillary (Guliani possibly could beat Hillary but he'd have a tough time in the primaries).

One BIG thing you have to remember about modern American politics is that the age of the Senator-President is dead. In the last eleven Presidential elections (the last 40+ years) no Senator/Congressman has been elected to the Whitehouse, they have all either been sitting presidents/vice presidents (heir apparents) or Governors, basically either they already HAVE the power as the #1 or #2 guy or from the heartland. Some of this has been attributed to Watergate and 'Nam and the distrust surrounding politicians beginning in the mid 60s and reaching its apex by the late 70s. And 100% of all the "powershifts" in DC came from not the Senate but the Governors Mansion since 1968 (Nixon was Veep in the 50s), Carter from Atlanta in '76, Reagan from Sacramento in '80, Clinton from Little Rock in '92, and Bush II from Austin in '00, unless there is a watergatesque shock event that shifts the public trust back to the powerbase of DC and Capitol Hill the electabilty of a Senator is highly unlikely, Sen. Goldwater in '64, Sen. McGovern in '72, Sen. Dole in '96 and Sen. Kerry in '04 all basically got labeled as "insiders" sometimes by a sitting President! Obama should concentrate on winning the Governors mansion in Springfield if he is to have a legit shot at the WH.

Condi I believe will be appointed VEEP for the ailing Cheney in 07 or 08 and then run for the top office, and win if Hillary is against her. You heard it here first. ;)

It's true its all been WASPs but really theres only been seven elected since the 1964 Civil Rights Act, so give it time, I think Jeb is done in a lot of respects among Republicans I think if Hillary Clinton runs the GOP will have Condi run, and I think if that's the contest Condi wins, I believe shes the only one that could carry the party in the primarys AND beat Hillary (Guliani possibly could beat Hillary but he'd have a tough time in the primaries).

One BIG thing you have to remember about modern American politics is that the age of the Senator-President is dead.  In the last eleven Presidential elections (the last 40+ years) no Senator/Congressman has been elected to the Whitehouse, they have all either been sitting presidents/vice presidents (heir apparents) or Governors, basically either they already HAVE the power as the #1 or #2 guy or from the heartland.  Some of this has been attributed to Watergate and 'Nam and the distrust surrounding politicians beginning in the mid 60s and reaching its apex by the late 70s.  And 100% of all the "powershifts" in DC came from not the Senate but the Governors Mansion since 1968 (Nixon was Veep in the 50s), Carter from Atlanta in '76, Reagan from Sacramento in '80, Clinton from Little Rock in '92, and Bush II from Austin in '00,  unless there is a watergatesque shock event that shifts the public trust back to the powerbase of DC and Capitol Hill the electabilty of a Senator is highly unlikely, Sen. Goldwater in '64, Sen. McGovern in '72, Sen. Dole in '96 and Sen. Kerry in '04 all basically got labeled as "insiders" sometimes by a sitting President!  Obama should concentrate on winning the Governors mansion in Springfield if he is to have a legit shot at the WH. 

Condi I believe will be appointed VEEP for the ailing Cheney in 07 or 08 and then run for the top office, and win if Hillary is against her.  You heard it here first. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it was just coincidence.

• Nixon got elected because of the backlash over Vietnam.

• Carter got elected because of the Watergate backlash and the fact that Ford pardoned Nixon.

• Reagan got elected because of backlash over the Iran Hostage affair, and the economy stank

• Bush Sr., who BTW is the ultimate insider, got elected as carry over from Reagan

• Clinton got elected because of the economy and Bush got pasted as not caring for the common man.

• Bush Jr. Did not win the first election. He was appointed by the court.

• Kerry probably lost because he is also the ultimate insider and a very bad candidate too. He will probably go down as the candidate that ran the worst Presidential Campaign of the 20th and 21st centuries.

• 6 months later...

Great comments everyone!

I personally think Obama would do better than Kerry did in 2004. I think he could win. He is a dynamo! The American people would ignore racial garbage from the past, IMO.

Obama has to get out of the Senate after one term! There is no question to it. If he stays in, he will NEVER become President. As stated in an earlier post, Senators don't become President these days.

Obama should probably turn down any future VP offer as well.

Dick Cheney is 64 going on 94. He looks like a walking ghost, pasty, sick....could his heart survive a campaign?

Hillary will NEVER be President. I would vote for her, but she will never in a million years be elected President.

Who will the Democrats run? Edwards, Richardson, Obama, Kerry again (PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!) Gore again?

I think Richardson could win the Presidency. A smart, likeable, plain talking popular governor. He could carry all the states Kerry did. And on top of that he could carry New Mexico and Arizona, probably Nevada. A winner if I've ever seen one:)

Just my humble opinions!

oh by the way I think Obama should get himself in the Illinois Gubenatorial Mansion ASAP!

I'm only 18 and I seriously doubt that I will ever see a black president in my lifetime, and unless Hillary is elected I doubt I will ever see a woman president. It's a poetic notion to think that Americans would rise above racism but it's not realistic, you'd have to convince over 50% of the VOTERS to vote for a black person. I'm sure if every person over 18 voted there might be chance, but a lot of would be democrats and liberals don't vote. Also you will never see a combination white president and a black or woman VP because no white male would be dumb enough to do that, it's signing your own death certificate, you would surely be assassinated so that there could be a black or woman president. BTW if you don't like the idea of Cheney being president, think of the third in line: Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska :)

I agree with the earlier sentiments that Obama is too young to run currently. He doesn't have enough political muster to do it. He's just a newcomer, and while I think that makes him the ideal politician (he might actually try to, you know, improve things), may people don't.

I think Sen. Russ Feingold might be a good choice for the dems. However, I would absolutely hate to not have him around in the senate if he lost.

Condi I believe will be appointed VEEP for the ailing Cheney in 07 or 08 and then run for the top office, and win if Hillary is against her. You heard it here first. ;)

Agreed...I can see Cheney out the door possibly as early as the end of this year...perhaps with the line that his connections to Halliburton have grown too shaky...and then Condi will step up to the plate. I speculate that for a victory against Hillary for the Republicans, you'll need either a Rudy/Condi ticket or Condi/[insert a VP here] ticket.

Condi in 2008

John McCain might could, if he wants to run.

McCain would have a hard time getting a lot of the Republican primary vote. Polls indicate that Giulliani would be more successful if he ran in the primaries...and Condi is quickly rising against him. McCain is essentially the Republican Joseph Liebermann...too friendly with the other side to get a majority of his own party to back him.

We'll see what happens. I think the Republicans will have huge losses in this year's elections which will paralise Bush's presidency.

I really don't know who will run for President. I'm gonna wait and see... but if it's anybody that has anything remotely to do with the Bush's, I will not vote for them. (That includes Condi, especially Cheney, Jeb Bush..) We need to get the Bush dynasty out of power.

As far as Obama.. I don't really know him that well. Personally.. I think Mark Dayton would be a good president.. but he's too honest and cares too much for most people in this country.

Barack is not ready yet. Condi would never get the nomination. Although she is smart and talented, she does not have good television appeal. Imagine her in an hour-long television debate. Hillary is hard to watch for that long either. In this day and age, only attractive people will be elected President. Both candidates will be people not currently on the national stage (you heard it here first :P ).

Archived