E Fay Jones

Mith242

I have mentioned some of this in another topic but thought it might be nice to have a topic now that we have an Arkansas forum. He definantly ranks as one of my favorite architects. I guess I am somewhat biased since he did live here in Arkansas. Has anyone seen any of his buildings? His most known is Thorncrown Chapel near Eureka Springs. The IAI (not positive I got the right initials) ranked Thorncrown Chapel as the 4th best structure of the 20th century. I know a while back he recieved what is considered the top architecture award. Prince Charles even came to the ceremony and said he was a fan of his work. Another one of his works that doesn't recieve as much attention as Thorncrown is the Cooper Memorial Chapel in Bella Vista. It's also a very nice work and a lot less crowded than Thorncrown Chapel. I've driven by a couple of his houses here in Fayetteville. He also designed the Underwood building on Dickson Street here in Fayetteville. I believe he might have also designed the gazebo at the Garvin Gardens in Hot Springs. Later when I have a little more time I will try to post some pictures.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually the AIA, but thanks for the mention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I knew that looked odd. It's nice to know that there are people from other parts of the country that are familiar with him. I know he did have projects in other parts of the country, but most done in Arkansas, northwest Arkansas in fact.

Okay let's try some pics, so others can actually see some of his works if they aren't familiar with him. These are of Thorncrown Chapel. If I remember correctly he didn't want to damage the area and wanted the chapel to feel a part of the surroundings. So they brought everything in by hand. It is located just west of Eureka Springs.

Fgallery1-1.jpg

Fgallery1-5.jpg

Fgallery1-2.jpg

Fgallery1-8.jpg

Fgallery1-9.jpg

Fgallery2-5.jpg

Fgallery2-6.jpg

Fgallery3-3.jpg

Fgallery3-1.jpg

Fgallery3-4.jpg

Fgallery3-2.jpg

Fgallery2-8.jpg

Fgallery1-4.jpg

Yes, E Fay Jones left his mark in Garvan Gardens here in Hot Springs. He designed the "Verna Cook Garden Pavilion."

gwg_int_photo_pavilion02.jpg

The interesting thing is that he designed this a few years (3-10) before Garvan Gardens opened. My dad works at a local school (ASMSA) and got to see the thing in its infancy.

Description:

The internationally acclaimed architecture firm of E. Fay Jones and Maurice Jennings designed this open-air pavilion in the tradition of Fay's mentor, Frank Lloyd Wright. A stellar example of this firm's signature style, the pavilion inspires all who see it with an intriguing structural system of 2" x 6" redwood trusses and columns. This unique wooden framework appears far too inconsequential to support a cedar shake roof 42 feet in diameter and crowned by a 50-foot tall ornamental iron spire, creating drama on a grand scale. Viewers standing directly under the central opening are treated to the kaleidoscopic pattern of sky against metal this architectural work of art creates. Providing a wonderful vantage point as it rises seven feet above the rose garden lawn on a native stone terrace, the Verna Cook Garvan Pavilion offers the perfect spot to pause and enjoy the natural beauty of Hot Springs and Garvan Woodland Gardens.

Another architect is going to mimic the same feel of Eureka Springs chapel for the Garvan Botanical Gardens here in Hot Springs:

Anthony Chapel

A new architectural landmark will soon grace the Arkansas landscape when the 160-seat Anthony Chapel breaks ground in the fall of 2004 and opens its doors to the public in January 2006. The structure, designed by nationally acclaimed architects Maurice Jennings and David McKee, will be similar in design to the renowned Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs, AR but almost double in size. The soaring 57' ceiling and massive glass windows will allow majestic views of Lake Hamilton and the serene wooded terrain that surrounds the chapel site. Additional buildings to be constructed within the Anthony Chapel complex are the Millsap Bridal Hall, a multi-purpose facility available for the bride and her attendants to dress and converse prior to the ceremony, and, when not in use for wedding functions, the building will provide a quaint location for small meetings of 40 or less. It will contain a fully equipped kitchen for catering needs and a fireplace for comfort and ambience. The Evans Groom's Quarters to be constructed east of the Anthony Chapel will complete the three-building complex. The facility will provide a private office for the officiant and public restrooms for events at both the chapel and the Klipsch Amphitheater. The Anthony Chapel will be available for weddings, musical performances, baby dedications, and memorial services.

gwg_int_photo_chapel01_lg.jpg

Archived