Little Rock Projects List

What about the Capitol? Is it connected to any of the routes?

No, it's too far West. Someone posted the River Rail expansion map here under Metroplan 2030 but I can't remember if any extension to the Capitol complex was part of it. An extension down main to the Quapaw Quarter was part of it, which I found interesting.

No, it's too far West. Someone posted the River Rail expansion map here under Metroplan 2030 but I can't remember if any extension to the Capitol complex was part of it. An extension down main to the Quapaw Quarter was part of it, which I found interesting.

I wonder if this will help it as a nicer neighborhood. Well maybe I should rephrase that. It is a nice neighborhood surrounded by bad neighborhoods. That area really showed a lot of potential, there were some really great old houses in that area.

Here's the map as an inset.

longrange.jpg

A route running west from Main Street to the Capitol and then looping back east is a high priority. It looks like the loop would run on Fourth Street and Capitol Avenue.

It's interesting to note that another high priority route runs from Main Street in North Little Rock to Alltel Arena. That could be a really cool route if new development replaces those pawn shops.

I'm a bit surprised that the proposed route along Main Street in Little Rock runs south of I-630.

I wonder if this will help it as a nicer neighborhood. Well maybe I should rephrase that. It is a nice neighborhood surrounded by bad neighborhoods. That area really showed a lot of potential, there were some really great old houses in that area.

The entire area is much nicer than it used to be. One big problem is that there is a homeless shelter near there and a couple of the area churches run large soup kitchens that draw sketchy characters into and out of the area. Another problem is a city housing project (Parris Tower) nearby, though aesthetically it looks more like a high-rise condo. Another obvious problem is that the neighborhood predates the automobile and the majority of the houses don't have a garage and many have only on-street parking, though some had garages added on later as separate buildings. The Heights and Hillcrest have the same problem but on-street parking in those areas is completely safe.

In the 80s you could count the number of buildings in the Quapaw Quarter not in need of major renovation on one hand. Since then every year the improved area's boundaries seem to expand by a few homes. Homes are being renovated in bunches on the fringes of the good areas and every time I go down there it's a little better.

One thing about that area...

$500k can buy you an ordinary home at Chenal not even backing up the golf course, it certainly won't even get you on the better streets like Chenal Circle.

However, in the Quapaw Quarter for that price you can get a 5000 SF century-old mansion fully renovated and refurbished. I would consider moving there for the right house, properly secured with an attached garage and fence near the core of the Quarter.

The entire area is much nicer than it used to be. One big problem is that there is a homeless shelter near there and a couple of the area churches run large soup kitchens that draw sketchy characters into and out of the area. Another problem is a city housing project (Parris Tower) nearby, though aesthetically it looks more like a high-rise condo. Another obvious problem is that the neighborhood predates the automobile and the majority of the houses don't have a garage and many have only on-street parking, though some had garages added on later as separate buildings. The Heights and Hillcrest have the same problem but on-street parking in those areas is completely safe.

In the 80s you could count the number of buildings in the Quapaw Quarter not in need of major renovation on one hand. Since then every year the improved area's boundaries seem to expand by a few homes. Homes are being renovated in bunches on the fringes of the good areas and every time I go down there it's a little better.

One thing about that area...

$500k can buy you an ordinary home at Chenal not even backing up the golf course, it certainly won't even get you on the better streets like Chenal Circle.

However, in the Quapaw Quarter for that price you can get a 5000 SF century-old mansion fully renovated and refurbished. I would consider moving there for the right house, properly secured with an attached garage and fence near the core of the Quarter.

Yeah I remember back in the early 90's people were stealing those wrought iron fences around the Quapaw Quarter.

Here's the map as an inset.

longrange.jpg

A route running west from Main Street to the Capitol and then looping back east is a high priority. It looks like the loop would run on Fourth Street and Capitol Avenue.

It's interesting to note that another high priority route runs from Main Street in North Little Rock to Alltel Arena. That could be a really cool route if new development replaces those pawn shops.

I'm a bit surprised that the proposed route along Main Street in Little Rock runs south of I-630.

The route along Main south of I-630 might turn out to be one of the better routes. That area has formed itself into the South Main District. There are two blocks with Community Bakery, on the north. down to Juanita's that stays busy. There are some condos west of the Bakery. There is also a Harvest Foods 4 blocks south of Juanita's. Within four blocks of the Harvest Foods is the Governor's Mansion and the Catherdal School.

As for the route going down Capitol Ave. I would rather see the eastern leg up to Main be doubled tracked and then split with tracks going down 4th and 6th streets to the Capitol to make the loop. The stops could be located on the same cross streets with a nice streetscape between them. This would promote development in the area two to three blocks on either side of 4th and 6th. Which would be from Markham to I-630.

The route along Main south of I-630 might turn out to be one of the better routes. That area has formed itself into the South Main District. There are two blocks with Community Bakery, on the north. down to Juanita's that stays busy. There are some condos west of the Bakery. There is also a Harvest Foods 4 blocks south of Juanita's. Within four blocks of the Harvest Foods is the Governor's Mansion and the Catherdal School.

As for the route going down Capitol Ave. I would rather see the eastern leg up to Main be doubled tracked and then split with tracks going down 4th and 6th streets to the Capitol to make the loop. The stops could be located on the same cross streets with a nice streetscape between them. This would promote development in the area two to three blocks on either side of 4th and 6th. Which would be from Markham to I-630.

That area has a ton of potential but it needs a lot of cleaning up. A police substation similar to the one in the River Market or larger would help. There are too many loiterers and solicitors around that convenience store by Juanita's and Midtown. Frankly, that areais the least safe area in Little Rock for honkies like me, at least amongst places I would frequent. I'm a fan of both Juanita's and Community Bakery.

That area has a ton of potential but it needs a lot of cleaning up. A police substation similar to the one in the River Market or larger would help. There are too many loiterers and solicitors around that convenience store by Juanita's and Midtown. Frankly, that areais the least safe area in Little Rock for honkies like me, at least amongst places I would frequent. I'm a fan of both Juanita's and Community Bakery.

I drop my son off at Furgersons Indoor Skate park which is between the Bakery and Juanita's. There has never been any problems. The same as when I drop my other son off at Vino's for the music, Blank Generation(now closed, they are putting condos next door) and Downtown Music. A new substation is in the works on Capital by the River Cities Travel Center. There are very few police officers to be seen on any part of Main St. Maybe a few more would help with the development in the area.

You're right about that area of Main Street. It is a nice destination area, but I was just thinking that there isn't a lot of development for a stretch in the middle. That could be changing soon though. We know that Warren Stephens has big plans for Main Street, and eventually more development will take place there because the River Market District is becoming close to fully developed. The route won't be a reality for at least a few years still, so a lot could happen. Even if there is some dead space left, the route would actually attract more development.

I drop my son off at Furgersons Indoor Skate park which is between the Bakery and Juanita's. There has never been any problems. The same as when I drop my other son off at Vino's for the music, Blank Generation(now closed, they are putting condos next door) and Downtown Music. A new substation is in the works on Capital by the River Cities Travel Center. There are very few police officers to be seen on any part of Main St. Maybe a few more would help with the development in the area.

Go after 9PM until 4 AM or so Thurs through Saturday. It's a madhouse.

The following is an announced project for the River Market. The construction of the Center for

Arkansas History is scheduled to be complete in 2007. It will be a space that combines the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, UALR Archives, and the Clinton Gubernatorial Papers Project under one roof. The Geyer & Adams Building, just across from the River Market, will become the future home of a new Center for Arkansas History. It will be the third major renovation on the Main Library Campus. These are about the last buildings in the River Market area that have not been redone.

The following is an announced project for the River Market. The construction of the Center for

Arkansas History is scheduled to be complete in 2007. It will be a space that combines the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, UALR Archives, and the Clinton Gubernatorial Papers Project under one roof. The Geyer & Adams Building, just across from the River Market, will become the future home of a new Center for Arkansas History. It will be the third major renovation on the Main Library Campus. These are about the last buildings in the River Market area that have not been redone.

I saw the rendering of this project in a magazine, but it wasn't very large. I've looked on the internet for a better one, but haven't had success. From what I could tell, a modern glass entrance will be added onto the building closest to the Main Library, where there is now a small parking lot surrounded by a fence.

I saw the rendering of this project in a magazine, but it wasn't very large. I've looked on the internet for a better one, but haven't had success. From what I could tell, a modern glass entrance will be added onto the building closest to the Main Library, where there is now a small parking lot surrounded by a fence.

Not too long ago there was a rendering of the building on the project site. When I saw it I didn't think that it fit in with the look of the area. This will give the Library Campus three buildings with three different looks. As you know renderings and the final product sometime don't match. When this is done I think the only building left for rehab in the Market area wiil be at I-30 and Clinton Ave. across from the eagle statue. It is for sale and the asking price is in the 3 million range.

Not too long ago there was a rendering of the building on the project site. When I saw it I didn't think that it fit in with the look of the area. This will give the Library Campus three buildings with three different looks. As you know renderings and the final product sometime don't match. When this is done I think the only building left for rehab in the Market area wiil be at I-30 and Clinton Ave. across from the eagle statue. It is for sale and the asking price is in the 3 million range.

I thought it was an odd fit as well, I think I saw a drawing of it up at the site at one point. Those buildings have been long overdue for rehab but the CALS has been holding onto them for some time. They are kind of an eyesore in the middle of the River Market area. I would rather see them rehabilitated and bars or restaurants put in there and have the Butler Center go elsewhere but unfortunately I don't get a vote. I think the library occupied too much space in the area that doesn't really serve a purpose. I also thought the Cox building would make a hell of a major chain restaurant or nightclub.

Finally filling up the River Market will force more development spillover onto Main, I hope. That's the good side of it.

I thought it was an odd fit as well, I think I saw a drawing of it up at the site at one point. Those buildings have been long overdue for rehab but the CALS has been holding onto them for some time. They are kind of an eyesore in the middle of the River Market area. I would rather see them rehabilitated and bars or restaurants put in there and have the Butler Center go elsewhere but unfortunately I don't get a vote. I think the library occupied too much space in the area that doesn't really serve a purpose. I also thought the Cox building would make a hell of a major chain restaurant or nightclub.

Finally filling up the River Market will force more development spillover onto Main, I hope. That's the good side of it.

I agree. I don't think the Center for Arkansas History will be a big draw for the Market area.

Work will soon began on the W. Stephens Nature Canter in the River Market. The city will start tearing up the parking lot there next week. I always thought the better location was at the foot of the Rock Island Bridge in NLR for this project.

It would be nice to see Main St. develop like S. 2nd St. across from the Peabody in Memphis. Little Rock needs to develop outdoor eating like they have in Memphis. Little Rock is sort of behind the times. I remember when TGI Friday's was located on Markham and they wanted to open their windows like they did at the one in Overton Square in Memphis. City code would not allow it. Also, at one time a project on Green Mountain called for living spaces above retail but this was turned down. Zoning did not allow for this so it was developed in retail only.

I agree. I don't think the Center for Arkansas History will be a big draw for the Market area.

Work will soon began on the W. Stephens Nature Canter in the River Market. The city will start tearing up the parking lot there next week. I always thought the better location was at the foot of the Rock Island Bridge in NLR for this project.

It would be nice to see Main St. develop like S. 2nd St. across from the Peabody in Memphis. Little Rock needs to develop outdoor eating like they have in Memphis. Little Rock is sort of behind the times. I remember when TGI Friday's was located on Markham and they wanted to open their windows like they did at the one in Overton Square in Memphis. City code would not allow it. Also, at one time a project on Green Mountain called for living spaces above retail but this was turned down. Zoning did not allow for this so it was developed in retail only.

I think the administration is very downtown development-friendly now and would work to change some of this. I do think it's a little odd that the Nature Center's going downtown. I don't think it should be just another West LR feature but Pinnacle's such a good backdrop for that sort of thing. Murray Park or Burns Park would've been nice as well.

They have started work on the Center for Arkansas History. When completed the Library Campus will take up most of the block with the Cox Building, a parking lot and this project.

The Cox Building on the right and the Library on the left with the two buildings in the background that will become the History Center.

20060209jan1100024an.jpg

The buildings as they look now from across Clinton Ave.

20060209jan1100032yv.jpg

The Heifer International Project if moving along. The landscaping is mostly done. There was something different at the Clinton Library. In the parking lot was a handpainted sign about the government's involvement in 9/11. Above the sign was a blue dress. There was no one around to claim it. It might have been some sort of political statement.

Anyone have any info on the Center for Arkansas History? I haven't heard a lot of details about it.

Right now it's housed on one of the upper floors of the CALS library in the River Market. It's outgrown that space and needs room to expand, thus it is getting its own building. It has a big collection of Arkansas historical books, maps, and some artifacts but it's main use is as a genealogy library with a fairly complete assortment of books from across the nation and particularly for Arkansas counties.

Chenal Country Club is going to renovate and expand its building complex, built in 1990 (before Chenal Pkwy was completed in 1992). Interesting timing, I would've though it would've happened at the same time as the addition of the 2nd Robert Trent Jones and the big residential boom around that course.

I drove through Heifer International headquarters parking lot late last night. It was dark, but I think I am more impressed by Heifer's Project than the Clinton Library Project. I think both projects are world class and impressive. On the way there, I passed a night crew working on the expansion of the light rail.

The drive/walk from the Double Tree to Heifer's headquarters is terrific. In 2006 it will become even better with the CALS, Capitol Hotel/Stephens, 300Third, and Nature Center Projects. LR's growth always seems to lag other Capitol cities in the nation by a decade. I think the silver lining is that LR is able to see what works elsewhere and avoid big mistakes. Can any think of any development mistakes in LR since the Main street Mall project? This should not include restaurants because restaraunts come and go all the time.

It will be interesting to see how Riverfest grows in the coming years. The infrastructure is in place to handle a much larger festival. I wish they would expand the arts part of Riverfest. Or, maybe we need an Arkansas Arts Festival. I think I prefer combining them though. Does anyone think Riverfest could make it if it expanded to include Memorial day too? Do we need a Riverfest subtopic?

I drove through Heifer International headquarters parking lot late last night. It was dark, but I think I am more impressed by Heifer's Project than the Clinton Library Project. I think both projects are world class and impressive. On the way there, I passed a night crew working on the expansion of the light rail.

The drive/walk from the Double Tree to Heifer's headquarters is terrific. In 2006 it will become even better with the CALS, Capitol Hotel/Stephens, 300Third, and Nature Center Projects. LR's growth always seems to lag other Capitol cities in the nation by a decade. I think the silver lining is that LR is able to see what works elsewhere and avoid big mistakes. Can any think of any development mistakes in LR since the Main street Mall project? This should not include restaurants because restaraunts come and go all the time.

It will be interesting to see how Riverfest grows in the coming years. The infrastructure is in place to handle a much larger festival. I wish they would expand the arts part of Riverfest. Or, maybe we need an Arkansas Arts Festival. I think I prefer combining them though. Does anyone think Riverfest could make it if it expanded to include Memorial day too? Do we need a Riverfest subtopic?

I think the Main Street Mall building, between 5th and 6th, could still work out. The main problem I see is that it turned itself away from the street. Put some doors on Main St. and open it up so you don't have to go inside like you do at other malls.

I never did like the building of the parking deck on Main between 2nd and 3rd. Why wasn't it built on the eastern half of the block and leave the Main St. part open for development. Also, the parking deck at 8th and Main was allowed to be built without the possibility of street level retail.

An Arkansas Arts Festival would be a good idea. I don't know how much Riverfest will grow in the comming years unless they come up with something different. I would like to see NLR's Summerset Festival expanded. .

I think the Main Street Mall building, between 5th and 6th, could still work out. The main problem I see is that it turned itself away from the street. Put some doors on Main St. and open it up so you don't have to go inside like you do at other malls.

I never did like the building of the parking deck on Main between 2nd and 3rd. Why wasn't it built on the eastern half of the block and leave the Main St. part open for development. Also, the parking deck at 8th and Main was allowed to be built without the possibility of street level retail.

An Arkansas Arts Festival would be a good idea. I don't know how much Riverfest will grow in the comming years unless they come up with something different. I would like to see NLR's Summerset Festival expanded. .

It has a great location but I don't see it working as a mall again. I could easily see it being redeveloped as lofts.