Little Rock Projects List

An Indian company is looking at opening a pipe factory at the Industrial Park near the Port of Little Rock. Apparently the product would be shipped by barges and it's an ideal site. It would employ 250.

They also stated that the reason the Thyssen-Krupp plant eliminated the LR Port from its possible sites is that they didn't feel the lock and dam system could handle the 100 barges a day the plant would generate, which I would suppose is true.

They also stated that the reason the Thyssen-Krupp plant eliminated the LR Port from its possible sites is that they didn't feel the lock and dam system could handle the 100 barges a day the plant would generate, which I would suppose is true.

In the DemGaz article an analyst said that the river could easily handle 100+ barges a day, probably even a significant number more than that even.

• 2 weeks later...

You are right but I don't drink much coffee. Its going to be a pain to get in and out of the new Starbucks.

I don't drink much coffee either but the wife does. You are right that it going to be a pain getting in and out of that location. I wouldn't be suprised if another Starbucks pops up in the River Market of CBD even with all of the local coffee shops in those areas.

I don't drink much coffee either but the wife does. You are right that it going to be a pain getting in and out of that location. I wouldn't be suprised if another Starbucks pops up in the River Market of CBD even with all of the local coffee shops in those areas.

Supposedly Starbuck's has some sort of policy about not trying to locate right next to existing local coffeeshops and if you look at their pattern of expansion in Little Rock that pretty well holds true.

Still, I bet one goes in the River Market area soon. The new River Market place would be perfect.

The locations without drive thrus kind of self-limit their business and at least down here in DFW you're seeing two types of locations - the more traditional cafe which is sit-down only and designed to be a hangout for bored teenagers and college students and usually in an existing building and the drive thru types that are built more like a Rally's or Back Yard Burger than the old Starbuck's.

I'm sure the Broadway location is targeting downtown workers that would get off of I-630 and pick up coffee on the way in to work in the CBD or at the Capitol. It definitely won't be a place to hang out.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone had previously alluded to, the Holiday Inn Select in West LR will be extensively renovated top to bottom and will be fully refurbished in mid-2007 when it will become a Crowne Plaza. It will remain open and renovations will occur floor by floor.

I was driving on 430 past the Holiday Inn Select today and noticed they were taking the sign off of the hotel. Soon we should see a Crowne Plaza sign going up.

While driving by the Holiday Inn Select today, I noticed scafolding going up on the side of the hotel that faces 430.

I didn't realize they'd be doing much to the exterior, that's still a nice-looking hotel. I ate at PF Chang's Friday and they didn't have the scaffolding up but I couldn't help but notice how well that hotel has held up.

I didn't realize they'd be doing much to the exterior, that's still a nice-looking hotel. I ate at PF Chang's Friday and they didn't have the scaffolding up but I couldn't help but notice how well that hotel has held up.

The hotel has held up well. I don't know if the building is going to get a paint job or what. Guess we'll find out quick enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking west on Capitol Ave. between Louisiana and Center. On the northside new trees were planted, new lightpost and benches were installed along with a new sidewalk. On the southside the old trees were not removed.

p1000112ds9.jpg

p1000111fi8.jpg

Do you know if there are any plans to rehab the south side as well? Last time I was in town, I noticed this work going on. The finished product looks nice.

Do you know if there are any plans to rehab the south side as well? Last time I was in town, I noticed this work going on. The finished product looks nice.

The south side was done at the same time. It also got new light polls, benches and iron fencing around the trees.