Little Rock Projects List

Have you ever lived in Detroit? If not how can you say you wouldn't live there. Why wouldn't you live there?

Interjection:

Having spent a few weeks there on business, I can think of a laundry list of reason why not to live in Detroit.

There's zero shopping.

There are very few decent restaurants.

Its probably America's most dangerous city crime-wise year in and out.

Does it even make a pretense of having an operating school district?

Need any more?

For public improvements to the downtown area, I have to agree that a TIF is the most logical funding option.

Increased development leads to increased use, and the increased property values directly fund the improvements in infrastructure, etc to keep the ball rolling and keep up with the increases needs for roads, transportation and public services.

A TIF can do all of this without disincentivizing development in any way. In fact, a revitalized core will increase property values in areas not covered by the TIF and there will likely be no loss on the part of the school district or city in property tax revenues.

Little Rock needs to do all it can to encourage more private investment in the city and perhaps even snag a few corporate relocations if possible.

Penalizing companies for locating in the city limits is not the way to go about it.

Isn't the TIF issue in court? There is an interesting article in Arkansas Business about auto plant relocation. It says that Denso selected Osceola because of their support for education. It seems that Toyota is having problems finding qualified works in Texas for their new truck plant. Also, Nissan is having troubles with quality at their Mississippi plant due to lack of training. (education of workers)

Isn't the TIF issue in court? There is an interesting article in Arkansas Business about auto plant relocation. It says that Denso selected Osceola because of their support for education. It seems that Toyota is having problems finding qualified works in Texas for their new truck plant. Also, Nissan is having troubles with quality at their Mississippi plant due to lack of training. (education of workers)

Yeah I think I heard about another auto plant in Mississippi having problems with quality. Although I'm not positive Arkansas is going to prove itself much better than the others.

For public improvements to the downtown area, I have to agree that a TIF is the most logical funding option.

Increased development leads to increased use, and the increased property values directly fund the improvements in infrastructure, etc to keep the ball rolling and keep up with the increases needs for roads, transportation and public services.

A TIF can do all of this without disincentivizing development in any way. In fact, a revitalized core will increase property values in areas not covered by the TIF and there will likely be no loss on the part of the school district or city in property tax revenues.

Little Rock needs to do all it can to encourage more private investment in the city and perhaps even snag a few corporate relocations if possible.

Penalizing companies for locating in the city limits is not the way to go about it.

I always supported a downtown TIF, though the argument that the billion dollars of private investment that wouldn't be providing tax revenue to the LRSD is not lost on me. TIFs in places like West LR or along I-540 in Rogers where people will pay a premium for the most sought-after land in Arkansas make absolutely no sense. TIFs to increase downtown infrastructure along with development or to revitalize the midtown corridor make perfect sense. Here in Lake Highlands in Dallas a TIF is being used to revitalize some of the older decaying commercial real estate and to get rid of aging apt complexes and ultimately it will probably increase the tax base by not only preserving but raising residential property values.

I always supported a downtown TIF, though the argument that the billion dollars of private investment that wouldn't be providing tax revenue to the LRSD is not lost on me. TIFs in places like West LR or along I-540 in Rogers where people will pay a premium for the most sought-after land in Arkansas make absolutely no sense. TIFs to increase downtown infrastructure along with development or to revitalize the midtown corridor make perfect sense. Here in Lake Highlands in Dallas a TIF is being used to revitalize some of the older decaying commercial real estate and to get rid of aging apt complexes and ultimately it will probably increase the tax base by not only preserving but raising residential property values.

Exactly.

TIFs are used to create and maintain momentum in re-development.

They should never be used in areas that already have it.

Downtown LR isn't quite there yet and could benefit greatly.

Property values are terribly low in areas not too far from the Clinton Center to the south and still low to the south of downtown although improved over the past few years.

A vibrant downtown core extending from the Capitol to the Clinton Center, helped along by a TIF, would help those areas to appreciate quickly and make up for losses to the LRSD due to a TIF.

The time to institute one was ten years ago. Imagine all of the revenue that would be available for your free parking garages today.

The time to institute one was ten years ago. Imagine all of the revenue that would be available for your free parking garages today.

Shh.

Nobody likes free parking here.

You're right about the land South of the Clinton Library. That area has been industrial as long as the city has existed but it's time for that cheap land to be transformed.

It looks like work has started on The Residences at Building 5 condo project. On the river side of the building a large net has been attached to it. I think it's purpose is to catch anything from falling on the roadway below during construction. This building is next to the DoubleTree Hotel on the Old Statehouse side.

I hadn't heard anything on the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. That's great news to hear it being located in the state's best sporting venue.

Major backers of the project are Jerry Jones and Jim Lindsey. They have already moved one of Mark Martin's first if not first cars into the space. Should be open in a few months.

Major backers of the project are Jerry Jones and Jim Lindsey. They have already moved one of Mark Martin's first if not first cars into the space. Should be open in a few months.

I never realized the entrance was going to be the box office. Did they move that elsewhere?

Nice shots. I loved seeing the construction site posters in NLR and Lafayette Square. Things will be hopping again in a few months in downtown.

Interesting news about the old Arkla building. As stated before it is being purchased by Moses Tucker. Arkansas Business states today that Moses Tucker will develop a mixed-use project to include a hotel and condos on part of the parking lot. It also says that plans will be released soon.

Here's the article for the new mixed use development.

By Arkansas Business staff

Arkansas Business - 2/6/06

Heard about a near $5 million transaction in downtown Little Rock?

An investment group called River Market South LLC, led by Jimmy Moses and Rett Tucker, purchased the 63,842-SF Arkla Plaza office project at 400 E. Capitol Ave.

The deal includes a good bit of neighboring parking to support the office project.

We understand that a deal is in the works to redevelop a piece of the parking land into a mixed-use project that will include a hotel and condos.

There

The Wyndham Hotel in NRL plans to open a thrid restaurant next year in time for the opening of Dickey-Stephens Park next door. It will be a sports bar. The hotel is home to Benihana and Riverfront Steakhouse. At one time the owner of the hotel owned the land where the park is being built before he sold it to Stephens.

Here's the article for the new mixed use development.

By Arkansas Business staff

Arkansas Business - 2/6/06

Heard about a near $5 million transaction in downtown Little Rock?

An investment group called River Market South LLC, led by Jimmy Moses and Rett Tucker, purchased the 63,842-SF Arkla Plaza office project at 400 E. Capitol Ave.

The deal includes a good bit of neighboring parking to support the office project.

We understand that a deal is in the works to redevelop a piece of the parking land into a mixed-use project that will include a hotel and condos.

There

They have started work on the Center for Arkansas History. When completed the Library Campus will take up most of the block with the Cox Building, a parking lot and this project.

The Cox Building on the right and the Library on the left with the two buildings in the background that will become the History Center.

20060209jan1100024an.jpg

The buildings as they look now from across Clinton Ave.

20060209jan1100032yv.jpg

This is a rendering of the Center for Arkansas History. It is being designed by Polk Stanley.

arkansascenterforhistory9bx.jpg