Little Rock Projects List

I like the use of glass and then wooden walls in the background, makes a great building!! :thumbsup:

Notice the front entrance on the right is the two existing brick facades. It's kind of an off mix of modern and historic. It will be a pretty unique building.

I found this picture of the back of the building:

ASI%20logo%201%20copy.jpg

Also in today's AB News, Cooper communities is building a new 600-home subdivision known as Siena Lake near Otter Creek. With this and the Gateway Towne Center that area could finally start to take off the way people thought it would years ago.

Edited by Aporkalypse

That sounds like the area that was devastated by the tornado that hit downtown in 1999. Many historic buildings were damaged or destroyed. It is now mostly vacant lots with a smattering of houses left. That neighborhood lost its character on that night. That rendering shows a house that is in scale for that area. It would be great if that area was redeveloped with a funky mix of architecture. It would be great infill because it is on the edge of the Quapaw Quarter and would not hurt the integrity of the overall district and could be a boon to those empty blocks south of I-630.

I was driving down Chenal the other day and noticed that they are clearing a road directly across from Rahling. I know this was supposed to be one end of the road that surrounds the Promenade at Chenal. I didn't see any clearing of the acrage though. Does anyone know if this finnally getting started?

This may have already been mentioned, but I was looking at the city street plan the other day and this new road seems like it's being planned as a major artery to connect Rahling with Lawson Road.

Edited by Village Ant

Another sign of the redevelopment of the downtown Little Rock area. A new house is being constructed a few blocks South of MacArthur Park. There is another new house being built across the street from this one.

This house is being built on the NW corner of 17th and Rock. I drove by it yesterday and was not impressed. It looked like a fast-food restaurant. In the same block, but on the NE corner of 17th and Cumberland there are two all-brick duplex townhouses nearing completion. These are very nice units that wouldn't look out of place in west LR. They're across the street from the 1869 era Bragg House.

Another project under way in the same neighborhood is the conversion of the old East Side Junior High auditorium at 14th and Cumberland into apartments. The auditorium was built in 1911-12 when East Side was Little Rock High School. We were able to walk into the old building and look around. The schools gymnasium was in the lower floor with the auditorium above it. There's a large balcony which has wings on either side. Seeing what 40 or 50 years of neglect does to a once fine building is sad. I recommend that anyone interested in old buildings visit before construction goes much further.

Also new in the older part of town; two new houses have been built, and I believe both have now sold, on the block bordered by 6th, 7th Cumberland and Rock. They're both two story traditionally styled, all brick homes. I toured one during an open house and was very inpressed. Both of these were listed at $400K plus.

I'm glad to see they are finally doing something about the Eastside Auditorium. I love what Vanadis did by converting the school to lofts but it just looks tacky to still have the auditorium boarded up. It's nice to see the zone of abandoned buildings between the MacArthur Park and Quapaw Quarter historic districts being fully restored, it's almost there.

My grandfather went to Eastside when it was "Little Rock High School" but he finished at the new LRHS campus (now Central) when it was built. I'm glad this history can be preserved.

I haven't heard anyone talk about the new Little Rock Animal Village, which is set to open in December... just in time to adopt that pet for Christmas. The building wll cost $1.7 million and is located on Kramer Street just west of South University. The total square footage is 7,663. Here are a few renderings:

littleRock3.jpg

littleRock1.1.jpg

littleRock2.2.jpg

I read about the new animal shelter but didn't know it would be that nice. Where on S. University is it - Kramer isn't familiar to me?

Regardless, it will be a more central location than the current one way out on Col Glenn was.

The present Animal Shelter is located back behind the Fair Grounds off of Arch. The Humane Society of Pulaski County is located on Col Glenn.

It sounds like the city's looking to improve Riverfront Ampitheater by at least adding a roof and adding new seating. It used to be an excellent concert venue but right now can't compete with Alltel or even Robinson.

They've talked about this before but now it really looks like it has to be done.

They also talked about making it available for corporate meetings which seems pretty silly to me since it's an outdoor venue.

It sounds like the city's looking to improve Riverfront Ampitheater by at least adding a roof and adding new seating. It used to be an excellent concert venue but right now can't compete with Alltel or even Robinson.

They've talked about this before but now it really looks like it has to be done.

They also talked about making it available for corporate meetings which seems pretty silly to me since it's an outdoor venue.

It's not as silly as it sounds because the River Market Pavillions are used a lot for corporate events. With a roof that wouldn't leak if it rains, the Ampitheater can be an option for larger events that can't fit in the pavillions.

Does anyone know anything about the location or plans for the Lions World Services for the Blind's $20 million HQs complex on 8 acres downtown? Is it going to be over by the Heifer Project somewhere?

The Lions project is located south of E. 6th, north of E. 8th between Collins and College. I drove through this area a couple of weeks ago and most of the houses had been demolished or moved.

The Lions project is located south of E. 6th, north of E. 8th between Collins and College. I drove through this area a couple of weeks ago and most of the houses had been demolished or moved.

Cool, it will be really nice to see more improvements south of the Clinton Library and Heifer Project on the East Side of I-30. That area's not too attractive right now.

Cool, it will be really nice to see more improvements south of the Clinton Library and Heifer Project on the East Side of I-30. That area's not too attractive right now.

The new Lion's World Services for the Blind will not be built for a while. Money for the project is still being raised. Think about LWSB for your charitable giving or attend an LWSB special event.

The new Lion's World Services for the Blind will not be built for a while. Money for the project is still being raised. Think about LWSB for your charitable giving or attend an LWSB special event.

What are the plans for the old Lion's World Services for the Blind campus on Fair Park? I'd think UALR would be interested.

What are the plans for the old Lion's World Services for the Blind campus on Fair Park? I'd think UALR would be interested.

One would think that....

LWSB wants a buyer for the property because they need the money for the new project.

UALR has a master plan that unfortunately doesn't cross east of Fair Park. UALR recently purchased the University Plaza Shopping Center and completed the construction of two new residence halls (+/-85 percent occupancy).

With the committment to the University Plaza Shopping Center, it is unlikely that UALR is in the position to acquire the LWSB property simply because the opportunity exists. Perhaps this would change, with your support of the Higher Ed Bond initiative, Nov 7 AND the use of a portion of the State surplus to fund Higher Ed.