Little Rock Projects List

It looks like it will be part of a multiplex and it will show hollywood productions...this could be cool. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...pen_5_theaters/

Thanks. I like the IMAX theater in the Aerospace Center but it only shows education films, sometimes it would be nice to watch a sci fi movie, etc there as well.

This leads me to wonder where the location would be. The Shoppes at North Hills are supposed to get a new theatre but this said "Little Rock", not NLR.

So, what's up with the Sears site near University Mall? Somebody mentioned that site will likely change hands before long. That would be perfect. If not, would it be along south I-430? The Rave would be awful close to it. Would they build a theater in far west LR along Hwy 10 or Chenal?

The article stated three would open in 2008, one in 2007. I would assume this would open in 2008 so we should find out the location soon enough, I guess.

So, what's up with the Sears site near University Mall? Somebody mentioned that site will likely change hands before long. That would be perfect.

You may be referring to a post I made to the University Mall thread. To clarify, my understanding is that Sears now intends on staying in their current location. However, the property owners want the Sears Automotive store to go.

The Little Rock area will be getting another IMAX theater. The location has not been made public that I know of but it will be one of five to be opened by Dickinson Theatres Inc.

Sure would be a cool component of a redeveloped University Mall. I'm guessing this goes into one of the WLR developements. It will be a shining example of how the indecision by the University Mall stakeholders (the judge, Simon and property owners) amounts to lost opportunities for more quality infill development.

You may be referring to a post I made to the University Mall thread. To clarify, my understanding is that Sears now intends on staying in their current location. However, the property owners want the Sears Automotive store to go.

Thanks for clarifying. That would be a hell of a site for a theatre. I agree with what you're saying about University Mall but if it went at the old Sears Auto site that would be just as good. I'm not sure that site has adequate parking, though.

I would like to see the IMAX go into the planned Argenta Town Center. Plans call for a theater and the time line would fit in. This would be another draw for downtown NLR. This is the type of project the downtowns of LR/NLR need to make them standout.

That would be a terrific addition, though I have to wonder about the announcement specifying "Little Rock" instead of NLR.

I would like to see the IMAX go into the planned Argenta Town Center. Plans call for a theater and the time line would fit in. This would be another draw for downtown NLR. This is the type of project the downtowns of LR/NLR need to make them standout.

Though the press release stated Little Rock, the theater could go in NLR. If I were doing a press release in Boston, I would pick Little Rock over North Little Rock for the release because most Bostonians probably don't know that there is a North Little Rock.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a proposed windmill turbine plant for the Port of Little Rock that would employ 1000. Beebe is working on landing it personally.

There's also some type of pipe plant expected to employ 300-400 in the workd.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if windmills would "work" in Arkansas..especially around the port area with the open spaces...

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if windmills would "work" in Arkansas..especially around the port area with the open spaces...

I would think they would be better in flatter Eastern Ark than in the hillier parts of the state. Most of LR has always seemed kind of shielded from the wind. I was shocked when I moved to Dallas where there are really some blustery winds most of the year, enough to knock over a small kid at times.

• 1 month later...

Two condo projects set to be completed by the fall of this year. The Rainwater on E. Capital.

Priced from $198,500 to $658,000.

rainwater0hn.jpg

610 Main St. which is located across Main from The Rep. This will be a mixed use with commercial space on ground level and condos above. There will be an atrium in the center of the 2nd & 3rd floors. Priced from $150,000 up.

610main8jm.jpg

I drove by the 610 Main St. project and I think it is a no go. There was a for sale sign on the building and it looks like no work has been done on it. I never thought it fit in with the rest of the block. Main Street is a hard sell.

That would be a terrific addition, though I have to wonder about the announcement specifying "Little Rock" instead of NLR.

personally, LR just needs a new mall. that would be awesome! university is the same since i was born. an imax in the mall might help. a new mall will be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

personally, LR just needs a new mall. that would be awesome! university is the same since i was born. an imax in the mall might help. a new mall will be needed.

Well, the days of new indoor malls are gone - they aren't building them anywhere now.

The closest thing to a new mall sounds like it'll be going up in West LR - the Promenade at Chenal.

Hi, I'm new, but am a long-time reader. As far as the new Imax goes, in all of my research into developments going up in the greater Little Rock area, there are only two multiplex theaters currently on the table, and both are to be located in North Little Rock (in the Argenta Town Center and the Shoppes at North Hills). This only applies, of course, if the Imax is indeed placed in a multiplex theater. And both fit the timeline, being complete around 2009.

Hi, I'm new, but am a long-time reader. As far as the new Imax goes, in all of my research into developments going up in the greater Little Rock area, there are only two multiplex theaters currently on the table, and both are to be located in North Little Rock (in the Argenta Town Center and the Shoppes at North Hills). This only applies, of course, if the Imax is indeed placed in a multiplex theater. And both fit the timeline, being complete around 2009.

Nice to have you here. Welcome.

I would bet the IMAX is destined for North Hills. I expect whichever one of these is built will keep the other one from being built and North Hills is considerably further along. If North Hills is as large as, say the Rave in West LR, I would bet that it puts Lakewood out of business or knocks it down to dollar-theater land.

Anyone else cringing at the thought of all that traffic on North Hills Blvd coming from McCain? A Bass Pro and big theater like that alone are enough to cause excess congestion, the rest of the retail will just be gravy.

It's a shame the area south of Bass Pro is so ghetto. There's a way to but through there but NLR won't want people going that way. There's a big housing project there (Eastgate?).

Nice to have you here. Welcome.

I would bet the IMAX is destined for North Hills. I expect whichever one of these is built will keep the other one from being built and North Hills is considerably further along. If North Hills is as large as, say the Rave in West LR, I would bet that it puts Lakewood out of business or knocks it down to dollar-theater land.

It's a shame the area south of Bass Pro is so ghetto. There's a way to but through there but NLR won't want people going that way. There's a big housing project there (Eastgate?).

I thank you for your welcome, I love this kind of stuff. Progress and development just fascinates me, and what a perfect city/ region in which to live for that. I don't believe that the "theatre at North Hills" will cancel out the Argenta Town Center Theater. They're going to draw from two different "audiences", even though they're so close. Shoppes will draw everyone from NLR north of the interstate and everyone from Sherwood to Jacksonville, Cabot, etc. because of not only the IMAX (which I would be a LOT of money on it going there), but also because it'll be like what the Rave is to citizens in NLR now. And I think that the Argenta Town Center theater will draw from both downtowns who have to go all the way out to Rave or Brekenridge to see a new movie, when all they'll have to do is just go right across the Main St. Bridge.

I thank you for your welcome, I love this kind of stuff. Progress and development just fascinates me, and what a perfect city/ region in which to live for that. I don't believe that the "theatre at North Hills" will cancel out the Argenta Town Center Theater. They're going to draw from two different "audiences", even though they're so close. Shoppes will draw everyone from NLR north of the interstate and everyone from Sherwood to Jacksonville, Cabot, etc. because of not only the IMAX (which I would be a LOT of money on it going there), but also because it'll be like what the Rave is to citizens in NLR now. And I think that the Argenta Town Center theater will draw from both downtowns who have to go all the way out to Rave or Brekenridge to see a new movie, when all they'll have to do is just go right across the Main St. Bridge.

The population of both downtowns is pretty small, just a couple of thousand and Riverdale theatre is just as close to downtown LR. North Hills is a 2-3 min drive. Of course a nice downtown or midtown theatre would kill Riverdale. Riverdale would make a much better location for an art theatre than Market St, so I'm not all against that. A downtown art theatre would be even better, and Argenta would be a good locale for it.

NLR needs a state of the art stadium seating theater in a bad way. If I were going to build another theatre after North Hills, though, I'd build it in midtown LR. That's a huge market compared to downtown and there are a couple of obvious sites.

The obvious, though, is that Argenta Town Centre's land parcel won't have room for a major theatre. Maybe a small fourplex but not much more. Certainly not a multiplex and IMAX if it's going to include much else besides this.

The population of both downtowns is pretty small, just a couple of thousand and Riverdale theatre is just as close to downtown LR. North Hills is a 2-3 min drive. Of course a nice downtown or midtown theatre would kill Riverdale. Riverdale would make a much better location for an art theatre than Market St, so I'm not all against that. A downtown art theatre would be even better, and Argenta would be a good locale for it.

NLR needs a state of the art stadium seating theater in a bad way. If I were going to build another theatre after North Hills, though, I'd build it in midtown LR. That's a huge market compared to downtown and there are a couple of obvious sites.

The obvious, though, is that Argenta Town Centre's land parcel won't have room for a major theatre. Maybe a small fourplex but not much more. Certainly not a multiplex and IMAX if it's going to include much else besides this.

I'm not speaking exclusively of the rivermarket district, or Argenta, but back even across 630 into the Quapaw quarter. I don't think that the theater in Argenta will be a big multi-plex, but I think that it will be a great addition to dowtown offering more to do. And the population in both downtowns is increasing almost by the day.

• 3 weeks later...

The Talk Business blog, today, highlights three potential industrial announcements for the Little Rock Port area. As mentioned in the Little Rock Airport thread, one of those projects is the Welspun Pipe plant, which could mean an investment of up to $80 million and 225-250 jobs. The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette made this project sound like one with great potential for expansion in the coming years. The way both sources write, this one seems to be a certainty.

Another seemingly certain project is a facility for Boyd Metals, a Ft Smith-based sheet metal fabrication and transportation company. It would employ between 45 and 50 people.

Finally, an announcement could be made, soon, concerning the major windmill blade manufacturing company that has been rumored for months. The Arkansas legislature did pass a major economic incentive package to try and lure the company to the Port. The package requires that the company establish a presence in Arkansas by year