Little Rock Projects List

Arkansas Times has an article on development in NLR. Also, there in one on the River Rail. It looks like there will be a change to the Argenta Place project. The developer has expanded his holdings and is looking to bring more than a single project to downtown NLR.

Speaking of NLR, the North Little Rock Times has an article online about the development in the city.

Looking south on Main Street in NLR. This is one block east of Argenta Square and just south of the trolley barn.

This area is also the future home of a small condo retail development.

20051119image00137su.jpg

Edited by skirby

Arkansas Times has an article on development in NLR. Also, there in one on the River Rail. It looks like there will be a change to the Argenta Place project. The developer has expanded his holdings and is looking to bring more than a single project to downtown NLR.

Speaking of NLR, the North Little Rock Times has an article online about the development in the city.

Looking south on Main Street in NLR. This is one block east of Argenta Square and just south of the trolley barn.

20051119image00137su.jpg

Thanks for the photo update, skirby. I'm so excited about all the developments in both downtowns. It's beginning to feel like one downtown rather than two. Especially with the trolley system. I would like to see the skyline developed on the north side of the river.

20051119image00137su.jpg

What's that tall building off in the distant?

I've never seen that before in NLR.

Thanks for the photo update, skirby. I'm so excited about all the developments in both downtowns. It's beginning to feel like one downtown rather than two. Especially with the trolley system. I would like to see the skyline developed on the north side of the river.

As far as skyline development for NLR I don't see much happening. The restrictions by the Argenta development board will probably keep highrise development; except in certain places, very limited.

This is too bad considering the flood wall prevents ground floor views of the river.

As stated before the Rye building has been purchased by a group which includes John Gaudin. Mr. Gaudin is also behind Argenta Place. The Rhy building is located on the next block to the southwest of the Argenta Place project in NLR. It is also only a block away from the new ballpark. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Update on John Gaudin and NLR development. The Argenta Place project is being reworked. He has purchased other properties in the area and is now looking at more than one project. The Rhy building will become a mixed use development. Mr. Gaudin is talking about developing 100 residential units in NLR. This will make almost 450 units(condo/apartments) proposed for downtown NLR.

As far as skyline development for NLR I don't see much happening. The restrictions by the Argenta development board will probably keep highrise development; except in certain places, very limited.

This is too bad considering the flood wall prevents ground floor views of the river.

I don't guess I had realized that NLR was being rather restrictive on development. I also hadn't thought much about the floodwall either. It's too bad I'm sure there are some nice views around there.

Wasn't Bella Torre going to be 20 stories?

Anyone seen anything lately about the development near Emerald Park, supposedly there were supposed to be two condo towers there?

Also, have they broken ground on that big condo tower in Riverdale?

I don't guess I had realized that NLR was being rather restrictive on development. I also hadn't thought much about the floodwall either. It's too bad I'm sure there are some nice views around there.

NLR really isn't very restrictive on development. It's been agressivley luring projects to its side of the Arkansas River, e.g. the Bass Pro Shop, the ballpark, Alltel Arena, etc. Keep in mind that the proposed twin nine-story towers were approved. Where NLR is probably restrictive is in the historical or residential areas that would be overshadowed by huge buildings. I haven't seen anything specifically about restrictions, but I know that if there are any, they are limited to specific areas.

NLR really isn't very restrictive on development. It's been agressivley luring projects to its side of the Arkansas River, e.g. the Bass Pro Shop, the ballpark, Alltel Arena, etc. Keep in mind that the proposed twin nine-story towers were approved. Where NLR is probably restrictive is in the historical or residential areas that would be overshadowed by huge buildings. I haven't seen anything specifically about restrictions, but I know that if there are any, they are limited to specific areas.

Okay so they haven't quite gotten to Fayetteville's level just yet. :D

I was talking about highrise development in downtown NLR. THe Bass Pro is not far from McCain Mall. The Enclave had to get a waver to be built at five stories. Argenta Place had a hard time getting plans passed and had to go for several changes. There is little space because of restrictions for highrises to be built in downtown. The twin nine-story building are at the edge of the downtown area. This leaves the property to the west of the ballpark open for development by Stephens. As for the development west of Emeral Park you are getting more in the area of being across the river from Riverdale. Sometime in the future the area north of Alltel might open up for redevelopment otherwise if you go across I-30 the land near the river in in the flood plain.

I've got an update on some new retail in the works for Benton. I'm not sure if many people in Little Rock or for the state know about this, so I will go ahead and post it.

Several new stores are in the works for Benton.

Target has decided to build a location on the south side of Interstate 30 between Alcoa Road and Mt. Carmel Road. Joining Target will be Kohl's, Old Navy and several other retailers.

Lowe's Home Improvement Center and Walgreens are also building locations in the city.

I know these projects aren't being developed in Little Rock, but Benton is close enough.

Edited by mcheiss

I've got an update on some new retail in the works for Benton. I'm not sure if many people in Little Rock or for the state know about this, so I will go ahead and post it.

Several new stores are in the works for Benton.

Target has decided to build a location on the south side of Interstate 30 between Alcoa Road and Mt. Carmel Road. Joining Target will be Kohl's, Old Navy and several other retailers.

Lowe's Home Improvement Center and Walgreens are also building locations in the city.

I know these projects aren't being developed in Little Rock, but Benton is close enough.

Saline County is overdue for these stores. It also is badly behind on quality restaurants because it's dry.

Benton is part of the Little Rock MSA, it's fine to put that info here.

It looks like the Korean War Memorial in Little Rock has broken ground.

The 6,400 sq. foot monument will list the 463 Arkansas residents who died in the war and feature two bronze statues of soldiers standing atop a bridge. Koreans donated $300,000 for the memorial, which will stand in front of the MacArthur Museum of Military History.

God bless our veterans!!!

It looks like the Korean War Memorial in Little Rock has broken ground.

The 6,400 sq. foot monument will list the 463 Arkansas residents who died in the war and feature two bronze statues of soldiers standing atop a bridge. Koreans donated $300,000 for the memorial, which will stand in front of the MacArthur Museum of Military History.

God bless our veterans!!!

It's nice to have the vets themselves do the groundbreaking.

05111218027_korea_4.jpg

The adjacent armory building from the original fort is MacArthur's birthplace. It is now an Arkansas Military museum.

arsenal.jpg

05111218024_korea_2.jpg

Edited by Aporkalypse

An interesting statistic I found:

In the last decade, projects totaling $968,579,951 have been completed in the downtown Little Rock area, with $175,894,720 worth of projects in progress and an additional $194 million worth of planned projects.

Those are huge numbers for a city that size and we're really lucky to have a downtown that's spruced up like that, most regional mid-sized cities really lack that.

I think I like the older white look of the building. But at least it's still around. Thanks for posting the pics.

The building looks better to me with just the brick finish. The building was constructed in 1840 and I'm sure it's natural finish was brick. That postcard image is from an era that wasn't as concerned with historical preservation, and it's an idealized picture. Painting over a historical structure seems tacky.

Here's a larger picture of the building as it is now.

Little_Rock_Arsenal_Ext-001.jpg

The building looks better to me with just the brick finish. The building was constructed in 1840 and I'm sure it's natural finish was brick. That postcard image is from an era that wasn't as concerned with historical preservation, and it's an idealized picture. Painting over a historical structure seems tacky.

Here's a larger picture of the building as it is now.

Little_Rock_Arsenal_Ext-001.jpg

It looks nice either way.