Charlotte dead/dying malls

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is an interesting situation on South Blvd for sure. I used to live in Montclair (Burnley Dr.) long ago and wondered why prices stayed so low in that place for so long. I always figured that being fronted on Tyvola road hurt it a lot.

Hey, we could have been neighbors. I grew up on Seacroft Rd very close to where Burnley Dr dead ends into it. We lived there between 1965 and 1980. I remember Dad telling me they bought the house for $8,000. Man oh man!!

I drove all the way to the Monroe Mall today. I didn't really think it was that bad; it was a '70s mall (obviously, due to that lovely beige brick) that has been kept up OK, with new carpeting and new paint. Odd in that even the stores were straight out of a '70s mall- how often do we see Waldenbooks or K-B Toys in malls these days? I thought the mall was fine, although quiet.

I am pretty certain that mall was not built until the 80s, but I could be wrong. It wasn't there in 1978, and I don't think they built it in '79.

I am pretty certain that mall was not built until the 80s, but I could be wrong. It wasn't there in 1978, and I don't think they built it in '79.

I heard the Sam Goody there closed. I bought a cassette tape there for $3.99 for a souvenir receipt before it closed. Too bad the closest one now is i Albemarle I think.

1979 seems correct, given the mall's appearance (that beige brick on the Belk's was so in style in that era).

The Sam Goody has closed. Lots of vacancies around the Sears entrance nearby. Payless Shoes also closed.

I don't see that Monroe Mall will become a dead mall, however; where else would the anchors go, at least?

1979 seems correct, given the mall's appearance (that beige brick on the Belk's was so in style in that era).

The Sam Goody has closed. Lots of vacancies around the Sears entrance nearby. Payless Shoes also closed.

I don't see that Monroe Mall will become a dead mall, however; where else would the anchors go, at least?

If anything it'd be redeveloped into an open air lifestyle center.. ha.

Is the Concord Mall near exit 58 on I-85 worth visiting? Is it a dying mall? (How could it not be, with Concord Mills nearby?)

Thanks.

The official name of it is Carolina Mall. And it's not dying, in fact they just finished renovating much of it about a year ago. It is mostly fed by Kannapolis and northern Concord while Concord Mills is fed by southern Concord, Charlotte, and the rest of the metro/state. That mall is right next to Northeast Medical Center which is basically CMC minus the satellite hospitals. That mall and NE are the two anchors to that side of Concord until you drive about three miles north into Kannapolis where Northlite center (Sams, Walmart, etc) is. With the build up of the Biotech campus in Kannapolis, I don't think Carolina Mall is going anywhere.

Thanks for the info- the Carolina Mall is a nice mall; kind of like the Monroe Mall in size, although more updated, and more upscale than the Rock Hill Galleria.

When was the Carolina Mall built? It looks like a '70s or early '80s mall that has just received a decent amount of investment over the years in order to stay updated.

Thanks.

All 3 malls above beat the Gaston Mall, with the fabric store, Harris-Teeter and vacant Media Play; that is such a sad sight.

I agree, the Carolina Mall in Concord is not dying. There are a lot of stores in there that don't exist anywhere else close. The biggest example of that is Sears which the next closest one is in Eastland where nobody goes to, then Carolina Place in Pineville which might as well be on the other side of the moon considering the distance. A lot of people in the Lake Noman area will head that way as well as it is only a few miles to get there via Hwy 73. I bought my last dishwasher from that Sears.

The mall has been there since the 70's and has been updated serveral times.

I think Carolina Mall opened in 1973. One tip-off is the Belk, which is rocking that classic pseudo-French exterior motif that they used heavily about that time.

They just redid the entrance to Belk about four years ago.

• 1 year later...

I take it that Freedom Mall will no longer have a retail component at all in the near future?

The Peebles anchor is closing on January 5, and about half or more of the in-line tenants inside

the mall have shut down. Is Mecklenburg County kicking out the stores as the mall transformation

into office space takes place, or are stores just fleeing due to lack of business? Too bad as if I

lived in west Charlotte, I'd want more retail options; the Freedom Drive K-mart and the new

Wal-Mart aren't enough.

Archived