Best places to eat in Arkansas

Mith242

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys, im gonna be headin up to Little Rock soon. And I also on occasion, like to eat(down here..well were known for our food :D ) LOL so I need some tips about great places to eat in the LR area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you enjoy your trip. If you could say how long you plan on staying, and what you plan on doing, then I could better answer your question. Also, where you're staying might be important, because it's pretty far from downtown to West Little Rock, the newest part of town. Under any circumstance, I would strongly recommend lunch at Whole Hog Cafe for some awesome barbecue.

I hope you enjoy your trip. If you could say how long you plan on staying, and what you plan on doing, then I could better answer your question. Also, where you're staying might be important, because it's pretty far from downtown to West Little Rock, the newest part of town. Under any circumstance, I would strongly recommend lunch at Whole Hog Cafe for some awesome barbecue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well im driving up and am staying in the Hilton Little Rock Metro Center. I got a great deal off of orbitz.com for $78 per nite. So i will be staying from monday 8/8 until friday 8/12. According to the site it is "in the heart of mid-town". I dont know that much about the LR areas, ive only been downtown on a few occasions. It seems to look nice..in the pictures at least.

Well im driving up and am staying in the Hilton Little Rock Metro Center. I got a great deal off of orbitz.com for $78 per nite. So i will be staying from monday 8/8 until friday 8/12. According to the site it is "in the heart of mid-town". I dont know that much about the LR areas, ive only been downtown on a few occasions. It seems to look nice..in the pictures at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Convenient location but not a great area in terms of being able to walk anywhere. There's nothing south of you you want to see. You're about 5 min away from downtown and the River Market area on I-630 but it sounds like you know this area. If you want to see the coolest old parts of Little Rock, the Heights and Hillcrest areas are very nice with upscale retail and a variety of restaurants and cottage/bungalow housing - mostly the areas were built between 1915 and 1935. Your hotel is on University - take it North past University and Park Plaza Malls, Markham, and Cantrell Roads and after 2-3 miles (the next light after Cantrell) take a right on Kavanaugh and follow this road as it winds around until it terminates into Markham. This is the part of town you really want to see.

If you decide to go to West LR take 630 until it ends and follow Financial Center/Chenal Pkwy all the way out until it ends at Hwy 10/Cantrell Rd. While you're out there check out Pinnacle Mtn which you can see simply by following Chenal across Cantrell. It's suburbia for sure but it's gorgeous country topographically.

Convenient location but not a great area in terms of being able to walk anywhere.  There's nothing south of you you want to see.  You're about 5 min away from downtown and the River Market area on I-630 but it sounds like you know this area.  If you want to see the coolest old parts of Little Rock, the Heights and Hillcrest areas are very nice with upscale retail and a variety of restaurants and cottage/bungalow housing - mostly the areas were built between 1915 and 1935.  Your hotel is on University - take it North past University and Park Plaza Malls, Markham, and Cantrell Roads and after 2-3 miles (the next light after Cantrell) take a right on Kavanaugh and follow this road as it winds around until it terminates into Markham.  This is the part of town you really want to see.

If you decide to go to West LR take 630 until it ends and follow Financial Center/Chenal Pkwy all the way out until it ends at Hwy 10/Cantrell Rd.  While you're out there check out Pinnacle Mtn which you can see simply by following Chenal across Cantrell.  It's suburbia for sure but it's gorgeous country topographically.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks alot Aporkalypse...that really helps. :)

I dont mind driving places at all, I want to see as much of the Little Rock area as possible. Ill definately head over to the Heights and Hillcrest areas. I was also wondering, how much of the Arkansas State Capital is open to the public, and does Arkansas have an archives building that is open to the public. I know that LA,MS, and AL do, but that some states dont have them at all or they are just not open to the public. I always like to check out things like that when I am in a capital city.

Thanks alot Aporkalypse...that really helps. :)

I dont mind driving places at all, I want to see as much of the Little Rock area as possible. Ill definately head over to the Heights and Hillcrest areas. I was also wondering, how much of the Arkansas State Capital is open to the public, and does Arkansas have an archives building that is open to the public. I know that LA,MS, and AL do, but that some states dont have them at all or they are just not open to the public. I always like to check out things like that when I am in a capital city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Capitol is open to the public and you can see big sections of it. I'm not sure of the archives. If you're a history buff you can check out the public library downtown - it's the 6 story building in the River Market with all of the names of the authors on a frieze at the top. One floor of this is the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies and they have a lot of this type of stuff in addition to some genealogic books and microfiche.

lr3.jpg

A very interesting building to see downtown is the Old Statehouse, the original capital built in the 1820s prior to statehood (1836). The entire building is a museum with interesting exhibits on lots of topics, from Clinton to Johnny Cash the Civil War. It was once our medical school and there were gunfights between senators. It's also free.

osh_mp_main_image.jpg

The Arkansas History Museum is a block of frontier houses that survives from the 1820s. There is a decent museum there but you really want to take an hour and tour the houses.

It's caddycorner to the library on 2nd street.

They've added a trolley system down there since the last time you were there if it's been more than 6 mos. It's the same setup you guys have, just much more limited and without the beauty of St Charles Ave.

The Capitol is open to the public and you can see big sections of it.  I'm not sure of the archives.  If you're a history buff you can check out the public library downtown - it's the 6 story building in the River Market with all of the names of the authors on a frieze at the top.  One floor of this is the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies and they have a lot of this type of stuff in addition to some genealogic books and microfiche.

lr3.jpg

A very interesting building to see downtown is the Old Statehouse, the original capital built in the 1820s prior to statehood (1836).  The entire building is a museum with interesting exhibits on lots of topics, from Clinton to Johnny Cash the Civil War. It was once our medical school and there were gunfights between senators.  It's also free.

osh_mp_main_image.jpg

The Arkansas History Museum is a block of frontier houses that survives from the 1820s.  There is a decent museum there but you really want to take an hour and tour the houses.

It's caddycorner to the library on 2nd street.

They've added a trolley system down there since the last time you were there if it's been more than 6 mos.  It's the same setup you guys have, just much more limited and without the beauty of St Charles Ave.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great..there seems to be alot of different things to do. I'll definitely check out the State Capital, library, statehouse and the AR history museum.

I havent actually been into downtoan LR fo about 8 months, so i look forward to seeing the streetcar/trolley. Does it run on wheels or is it the electric powered kind like in NO. Montgomery has a new "streetcar" built to resemble st. charles avenue line but it runs on wheels.(its basically just a green bus) But either way im glad other cities throughout the south are adding streetcars as a type of public transit.

Gaucho's Grill is a restaurant owned locally, here in Little Rock. I wasn't aware of other locations, so I looked it up using Google. Sure enough, there is one in Oklahoma City, and it's owned by the same people as the one here. Contrary to your claim, the article I found suggested that the restaurant was doing so well that it was planning to expand. Also, the food is all you can eat, so there's no way that you're right about it having small portions. If you go there, you're going to get stuffed! Your report sounds like the two locations are very different. The one in Little Rock is very clean, and set in a trendy, modern environment. From the picture in the article about the other location, it looks neither modern, nor trendy.

This is the building which houses the one in Little Rock. It was built in 1998 in West Little Rock, in the Chenal area. The restaurant is on the back side of the upper right part of the building in the picture.

village-1.jpg

I'll describe the food for those of y'all not familiar with this type of restaurant. I've eaten there once, and found it very good.

food.jpg

As you can see, it specializes in meat. The way food is served is unusual. There are "gauchos" (waiters) that continually walk around the room with a platter of a certain kind of meat, one of about 10-15 different types served. The method by which food reaches your plate is by flipping a card at your table so the green side is showing. This indicates that you would like to be served. As gauchos make their rounds, they will stop at your table and serve you. When you're full, or not ready for more, simply show the red side of the card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no the restaurant here is not modern at all. yes there is all you can eat like you are describing, but they do have a regular menu in wich you can order a plate of food. i ordered off of the menu and it has small portions. maybe i'll give the place one more chance and get the all you can eat portions. thanks for your review of the one there.

Great..there seems to be alot of different things to do. I'll definitely check out the State Capital, library, statehouse and the AR history museum.

I havent actually been into downtoan LR fo about 8 months, so i look forward to seeing the streetcar/trolley. Does it run on wheels or is it the electric powered kind like in NO. Montgomery has a new "streetcar" built to resemble st. charles avenue line but it runs on wheels.(its basically just a green bus)  But either way im glad other cities throughout the south are adding streetcars as a type of public transit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it's a true electric streetcar system. It is unusual in that it crosses the Arkansas River and connects downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock.

Little_Rock_Gomaco_bridge_photo_small.jpg

RvrFestTrolley052805Two-8R.jpg

RvrFestTrolley052805-21R.jpg

RvrFestTrolley052805-mainnlr241pm-32R.jpg

As an aside, my great-grandfather came to Little Rock around the WWI era to expand the trolley system to include the suburb of Pulaski Heights (now the Heights and Hillcrest areas I told you about) and to convert from gas to electric trolleys.

Wow those look great, they really remind me of the New Orleans Riverfront and Canal St. line street cars, just with the colors reversed. Ill definately have to check those out!

Are they going to keep the line as it is, or do they plan to expand it throughout the rest of the city?

Wow those look great, they really remind me of the New Orleans  Riverfront and Canal St. line street cars, just with the colors reversed. Ill definately have to check those out!

Are they going to keep the line as it is, or do they plan to expand it throughout the rest of the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are plans to extend some lines downtown but long-range the plan is to link it to a more modern light rail system to reach the airport and hopefully other parts of town eventually.

It's not as extensive and doesn't have the ridership the New Orleans streetcars do. I really enjoyed the St Charles line. Last time I was down there they were tearing Carrolton up to put in a new line.

Nobody else can pull off what you did, though, because we don't have the broad avenues with huge medians to utilize.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The hotel should be nice; I know it did just undergo a major renovation. However, the Midtown section of the city has been somewhat neglected recently, and not seen any major new development. The projects have either been going on out in West Little Rock, the newest part of the city, or in the revitalization effort of Downtown. There isn't much to see directly around you, but the convenient location allows you to be anywhere in the city in minutes. I don't want you to get the wrong impression. It's not a bad area, it's just not exactly a hot spot in Little Rock right now. Just don't go further south on University Ave. than your hotel! ;)

Let me second Aporkalypse's suggestion to tour the Heights and Hillcrest areas. They're beautiful neighborhoods, and were the first neighborhoods in Little Rock outside of downtown. While you're downtown, be sure to visit MacArthur Park. It's home to the Arkansas Arts Center, which is worth checking out, and also the Museum of Military History, the birthplace of Gen. Douglas MacArthur. Also while Downtown, you may want to see the famous Rose Law Firm, the oldest law firm west of the Mississippi River, which is also well-known for a certain event. <_< South of MacArthur Park is the Governor's Mansion and Central High School, which interests some people.

There are also some things of interest just outside the city. The Old Mill in North Little Rock was in the opening scene of the classic move, Gone With the Wind. For lunch one day, you should try Cotham's Restaurant, an Arkansas institution, which lies just east of Little Rock, in the rural town of Scott. It's on a swamp near cotton fields, and would add some nice variety to your visit. Earlier in this thread, I posted about it, as well as some other restaurants.

Old Mill:

307.jpg

Gaucho's Grill is a restaurant owned locally, here in Little Rock. I wasn't aware of other locations, so I looked it up using Google. Sure enough, there is one in Oklahoma City, and it's owned by the same people as the one here. Contrary to your claim, the article I found suggested that the restaurant was doing so well that it was planning to expand. Also, the food is all you can eat, so there's no way that you're right about it having small portions. If you go there, you're going to get stuffed! Your report sounds like the two locations are very different. The one in Little Rock is very clean, and set in a trendy, modern environment. From the picture in the article about the other location, it looks neither modern, nor trendy.

This is the building which houses the one in Little Rock. It was built in 1998 in West Little Rock, in the Chenal area. The restaurant is on the back side of the upper right part of the building in the picture.

village-1.jpg

I'll describe the food for those of y'all not familiar with this type of restaurant. I've eaten there once, and found it very good.

food.jpg

As you can see, it specializes in meat. The way food is served is unusual. There are "gauchos" (waiters) that continually walk around the room with a platter of a certain kind of meat, one of about 10-15 different types served. The method by which food reaches your plate is by flipping a card at your table so the green side is showing. This indicates that you would like to be served. As gauchos make their rounds, they will stop at your table and serve you. When you're full, or not ready for more, simply show the red side of the card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for the slow response, I'm having computer problems again. It sounds very similar to the Brioso Brazil up in Rogers.

Thanks alot for the info guys...it seeme there are alot of different things I need to check out while im up there. And it doesnt seem i'll be bored at any time....or hungry ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like you'll end up being more familiar with Little Rock than me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like we've had some new people on the forum the past month or so. Also sounds like most of them are from or familiar with northwest Arkansas. Anyone have any particular favorites? KJW, you're from Benton County, any particular places you like up there? I don't make it up to Benton County a lot and and I'm probably behind on what's new up there.

It sounds very similar to the Brioso Brazil up in Rogers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ate at the Brioso Brasil in Rogers not long ago, and I thought it was extremely nice. They have the most amazing salad bar there I've ever seen. It does sound quite a bit like the Gaucho restauant in Little Rock and OKC. :rolleyes:

I ate at the Brioso Brasil in Rogers not long ago, and I thought it was extremely nice.  They have the most amazing salad bar there I've ever seen.  It does sound quite a bit like the Gaucho restauant in Little Rock and OKC.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard some nice things about Brioso Brazil but haven't tried them out yet. I'm pretty sure it's owned by some local people, the same ones who own the Marketplace Grill.

Copeland's New Orleanes Restaurant in Rogers  makes a pretty good bowl of Jambalaya.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yet another place in Rogers that I've heard about but haven't tried. But I admit I'm not the biggest fan of cajun/creole food. I believe I've heard that Copeland's has passed up the Red Lobster in North Little Rock in being the biggest money maker in Arkansas.

We do have allot of great places to eat in Northwest Arkansas. As for "new" places, try Joe's Bistro in the Fiesta Square. Joe Utsch, the former head chef at Pesto Cafe moved to the old Belvedeer's location in August, and it is the best kept secret in Fayetteville. The food is great, service is great, and lots of parking. I had the Spinach Artichoke Dip for an appetizer, and the Pancetta Wrapped Pork Tenderloin main course. Try it once, and it will be on your list of favorites.

As for Mexican food, I agree with La Huerta. I try others and always end up back on College and Township. They have the best chips and salsa (more of a sauce) I have found in Arkansas. When you find a good thing, stay with it.

Archived