Best places to eat in Arkansas

Mith242

Any body hear that Taco Bueno plans to build it's first location in the state in Fayetteville off Joyce Boulevard?

What we need is a Taco Cabana. Oh man. That is the best place. I remember when Casa Taco went out of business at the corner of North and Garland, I prayed that a Taco Cabana would go up in its place. But my prayers were unanswered.

If they opened one up it would do so much business. It's a 24/7 place so it would catch that after drinking crowd.

And I'd weigh about 300 pounds in no time. Maybe I should hope they don't open one.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What we need is a Taco Cabana. Oh man. That is the best place. I remember when Casa Taco went out of business at the corner of North and Garland, I prayed that a Taco Cabana would go up in its place. But my prayers were unanswered.

If they opened one up it would do so much business. It's a 24/7 place so it would catch that after drinking crowd.

And I'd weigh about 300 pounds in no time. Maybe I should hope they don't open one.

Yeah they do have one of those in Albuquerque. It's one of the few 'Mexican' chains that do have a location in New Mexico. Most of those chains avoid New Mexico, I guess because there's too many good local places to compete against. But back to Taco Cabana, I usually don't eat there because I tend to stick to the local places while I'm in New Mexico. But yes it is a pretty nice place, certainly better than Taco Bell and Taco Bueno. Maybe there's hope that they will eventually put one in somewhere in northwest Arkansas in the near future. I have noticed we have gotten a number of restaurants that haven't opened any other locations in the rest of Arkansas.

I hope to eventually visit more of Arkansas. The only time I've been to your state is passing through a rural section of interstate between Memphis & St. Louis. My grandfather grew up near a place called Dutton, in NW AR, and his favorite place anywhere to vacation was Hot Springs.

Anyway, to get on topic, we're getting a restaurant here called "Doe's Eat Place" that supposedly has locations in MS and AR. Is it any good ?

I hope to eventually visit more of Arkansas. The only time I've been to your state is passing through a rural section of interstate between Memphis & St. Louis. My grandfather grew up near a place called Dutton, in NW AR, and his favorite place anywhere to vacation was Hot Springs.

Anyway, to get on topic, we're getting a restaurant here called "Doe's Eat Place" that supposedly has locations in MS and AR. Is it any good ?

Yeah it's a pretty good place to get a steak. I didn't realize they also had locations in Mississippi. I'm not positive on this but I always thought the original location was in Little Rock. There is also one here in Fayetteville. Anyone know of any other locations? I wasn't familiar with Dutton and I looked it up on a map, it's pretty close to St Paul which I am familiar with. It's southeast of Fayetteville on Hwy 16. Down into the Boston Mtns and not too far away from Newton County either.

Clink this link for a list of Doe's locations. The original Doe's was started in Greenville, MS. It's sort of an odd thing because most of the other locations are in Arkansas. The one in Little Rock was opened in 1988 by a businessman who liked the one in Mississippi. Recently they've been growing pretty fast across Arkansas. One opened in Hot Springs in 1998, Fayetteville in 1999, Bentonville in 2003, and Fort Smith in 2004. I didn't even know that Bentonville or Fort Smith had one. There are also locations in Tulsa, OK, Bryan, TX, and Lafayette, LA, all of which opened in the last couple years. It seems that they're really branching out across the South.

I've been to the one in Hot Springs. It's in a really nice location on Lake Hamilton. I pass the one in Little Rock quite a bit, but I don't think I've ever eaten there. It's on the western edge of downtown in sort of a rundown area, but I think that's part of their shtick.

The food isn't the healthy kind, but they serve very good steaks and tamales.

So overall, where is the best place in Arkansas to eat?

It's more of a question of what type of food are you talking about. That and everyone's own personal opinion. Since I like Mexican food a lot I'd have to vote for La Huerta personally. Although it certainly isn't the fanciest restaurant around or anything. But I really like the food there.

Did anybody hear that Church's Chicken is planning to build 5 locations in Northwest Arkansas?

One location for Rogers along Walnut Street should be the first location open by March.

Another will be in either Lowell or Springale

A third is also announced for Fort Smith sometime in the future.

Did anybody hear that Church's Chicken is planning to build 5 locations in Northwest Arkansas?

One location for Rogers along Walnut Street should be the first location open by March.

Another will be in either Lowell or Springale

A third is also announced for Fort Smith sometime in the future.

It is sorta funny that for an area well known for Tyson and chickens that we didn't have a big selection of chicken places as other parts of the state. But that's slowly starting to change.

It is sorta funny that for an area well known for Tyson and chickens that we didn't have a big selection of chicken places as other parts of the state. But that's slowly starting to change.

That's true

Within the past few years, Rogers has added a Chick-Fil-A, Slim Chickens, and a Popeye's.

I also now that Siloam Springs is also getting a Popeye's

Popeye's want to put 9 restaurants in Northwest Arkansas by 2009. Kind of weird all of the sudden all these fast food chicken restaurants want to come in Northwest Arkansas all at once.

That's true

Within the past few years, Rogers has added a Chick-Fil-A, Slim Chickens, and a Popeye's.

I also now that Siloam Springs is also getting a Popeye's

Popeye's want to put 9 restaurants in Northwest Arkansas by 2009. Kind of weird all of the sudden all these fast food chicken restaurants want to come in Northwest Arkansas all at once.

True, by the way I've noticed you never answered you own question Matt on what you think the best restaurant in the state is. :D

True, by the way I've noticed you never answered you own question Matt on what you think the best restaurant in the state is. :D

Well, me personally I think the best restaurant in the state is Copeland's New Orleanes Restaurant in Rogers. The best place for Creole and New Orleanes food in the region by far.

Well, me personally I think the best restaurant in the state is Copeland's New Orleanes Restaurant in Rogers. The best place for Creole and New Orleanes food in the region by far.

I really do need to get up there and try it out sometime. I'm not a huge fan of creole/cajun food, but surely I could find something that I'd like. The other restaurant I really need to get around to trying is Brioso Brazil in Rogers also.

I really do need to get up there and try it out sometime. I'm not a huge fan of creole/cajun food, but surely I could find something that I'd like. The other restaurant I really need to get around to trying is Brioso Brazil in Rogers also.

Yeah that's another good one

You should also think about going into Famous Daves BBQ, the best ribs I have ever had to eat in my life are there.

Yeah that's another good one

You should also think about going into Famous Daves BBQ, the best ribs I have ever had to eat in my life are there.

I'm not a huge rib fan either, but once again I really should give the place a try. Even if it is something messy to eat. :D

I've noticed that you posters in Northwest Arkansas are listing mostly chain restaurants. What are some of y'all's favorite local establishments? Some good ones I know of in the area are the great Italian places in Tontitown, James at the Mill, and there are supposedly some good new places in downtown Fayetteville, e.g. Bordino's.

I've noticed that you posters in Northwest Arkansas are listing mostly chain restaurants. What are some of y'all's favorite local establishments? Some good ones I know of in the area are the great Italian places in Tontitown, James at the Mill, and there are supposedly some good new places in downtown Fayetteville, e.g. Bordino's.

I mentioned La Huerta. :P I do like Italian, but not as much as Mexican though. I haven't checked out the new Bordino's yet. Yes there are some nice places in Tontitown. And thanks for mentioned James at the Mill. That's one place that isn't mentioned enough. I think that maybe it was in say Fayetteville or even Rogers it might get mentioned a lot more. By the way Arkansawyer what's your favorite place?

Yeah, there are some good places in Tontitown, my favorite being the Venesian Inn (sp?). Another of my favorite local spots is the Restaurant On The Corner (ROTC). It used to be on Dickson, but now it is on 112 kind of by the drive-in movie theater where the catfish place used to be. It has a really local feel. The food is really good as well. This place may have already been discussed, if it was sorry.

Yeah, there are some good places in Tontitown, my favorite being the Venesian Inn (sp?). Another of my favorite local spots is the Restaurant On The Corner (ROTC). It used to be on Dickson, but now it is on 112 kind of by the drive-in movie theater where the catfish place used to be. It has a really local feel. The food is really good as well. This place may have already been discussed, if it was sorry.

No, I don't think it's ever been mentioned. I've heard of it but never been to it and can't say I know a lot about it. What type of food do they specialize in?

No, I don't think it's ever been mentioned. I've heard of it but never been to it and can't say I know a lot about it. What type of food do they specialize in?

Well, I guess I'd just call it American food. I always like to get the catfish. But they have sandwiches, pizza, a few pasta dishes, pretty much everything.

If you go, I recommend going to the bar section on the right. It's a little smoky but they often have bands playing outside and other things going on. Prices are about medium, not cheap but not expensive.

Thought I'd throw something else out here. I haven't heard anyone mention anything about a popular southern dish, catfish. I don't think northwest Arkansas is as big on catfish as other areas of the state. Maybe that's because we aren't quite as 'southern' up here as the rest of the state. The Catfish Hole here in Fayetteville is probably the best place I know of for catfish around here. Anyone have any others?

Thought I'd throw something else out here. I haven't heard anyone mention anything about a popular southern dish, catfish. I don't think northwest Arkansas is as big on catfish as other areas of the state. Maybe that's because we aren't quite as 'southern' up here as the rest of the state. The Catfish Hole here in Fayetteville is probably the best place I know of for catfish around here. Anyone have any others?

Catfish John's in Rogers is pretty good. I think I actually heard they serve more Catfish than any other restaurant in Northwest Arkansas during weeks in Lent do to all the Catholics.

Archived