Downtown Buildings for Development

comingtocolumbia

I am a residential developer looking at buildings or lots to build in the downtown area of Columbia. I figured this might be a good place to start. If these are not appropriate questions for this board let me know. Does anyone know of any interesting buildings downtown that might have the potential to be converted to apartments or Condos? Also, what characteristics and features are people in Columbia looking for in apartments and condos? Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum!

This topic is questionable to me. We have a very strict policy against conducting business on this forum. However, the questions you ask seem like a legitimate topic for discussion, depsite your intent. So, I am going to close this thread for now, and discuss it with the higher-ups. I will try to have an answer later tonight. Thanks in advance for your patience.

This is a good thread, so please stay on topic.

There are many lofts being constructed along Main St. Perhaps you've heard of the Barringer building rennovation into apartments? The Kress Building? I think that just abuot any building that can be retrofitted into a residential place would be great.

There is the old fire house on Senate St, which would make excellent apartments. That has been discussed before. Some people want to tear it down, and others want to keep it.

I agree with Spartan about the old firehouse. It would make great apartments or condos. There are also still a few undeveloped 2nd and 3rd floors above businesses on Main and Assembly Streets. As far as lots go, If you could buy the block bounded by Elmwood, Main, Sumter and Calhoun and develop that property, everyone in Columbia would be grateful. That property used to house an auto dealership that moved and there have been various other small business to occupy part of the property. I think that would be a great parcel to develop and I bet its all owned by the same people.

Welcome! It'll be great to have you here.

I have to put a plug in for the Olympia area. It's really making a comeback and is poised to become a really cool neighborhood. My wife and I have a little project we're working on there. Not trying to sidetrack the discussion here, but I'd be happy to chat with you offline if you'd like -- my email is [email protected]. My wife and I have been in the downtown living market for a while and we've recently happened upon an opportunity to potentially develop some property down there ourselves. I've got a ton of information and contacts that I'd be willing to share for the good of the area -- if you're interested.

I don't know if I can say with certainty what people are looking for in urban living, but there's a real lack of realistic options for young families in the $150,000-$200,000 range. Yes, you can buy a 1-bedroom (*maybe* 2) condo for that, but not much more. I know it doesn't sound like much if you're coming from other parts of the country, but in Columbia that's a lot for a young middle-class family to shell out. And even if you scale it a little higher -- $250,000 -- there still aren't many options for young families. By options... I guess I'm mainly talking about condo/townhome/cluster home new construction -- obviously there are some homes in that price range in in-town neighborhoods.

Another completely untapped market that I'm particularly excited about is *modern* living. Columbia -- and this is supported by research -- is a really creative city, but the "creative housing" options are slim to none. As the Research Campus develops and Olympia starts to really take off, more and more creatives will be moving in and they need housing options that reflect their personality and values. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but it's going to be *hot* around here as soon as somebody breaks the mold -- check out the work of David Baker for some primo examples of the style I'm referring to.

If I were putting my money into something -- and I just might -- it would be modern urban housing in Olympia. There are some great opportunities on the end near Assembly St. (between Lincoln and Assembly, and Capital City Stadium and the USC Greek Village)... lots of warehouses and light industrial sites just waiting to be adaptively reused or razed and sustainably redeveloped.

• 2 weeks later...

There is still some pretty cool building on Main St.

Louries - One concern is the mission

Main & Taylor Shoes - Could be some sweet lofts

Kimbrells - Nice size building

Duck Inn - Crappy building in prime location

Monkton Building - To the left of Main & Taylor shoes. THis building is deep and could be some need lofts.

I see the one story building to the left of Macs on Main is for sale. Pretty cool location but you would need to go up to make it work.

These and some law offices on main street that are prime for above street level residential development.

Vista - I still think the old fire station could be a homerun for condos.

I am not sold on Olympia yet but of course I would have said the same thing about the Vista 8 years ago and Main Street 5 years ago, so what the heck do I know.

Someone told me that the contract that someone had to buy the Powell Furniture building on Sumter across from the hospital fell threw. That might be a neat conversion for residential. I have not been in there but I was told that the first floor has 20ft ceilings.

Here is the link to the building.  Around 12,000 sq ft but of course you could add more sq ft it you added lofts.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink/Profi...re&LID=13749067

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After looking in the window at lunch today, the ceilings are even close to 20ft like they claim they are. I would guess they are around 12ft or so and there looks to have water issues with the ceiling on the first floor being messed up. Oh well, it will probably sit there for a long time for $895,000 for 12,000 sq ft.

Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Does anyone know if the idea for the hotel in the Palmetto building are going as planned.  If that doesn't work out, that would be a great building to convert to residential.  Especially if the plans for workshop theater to move in across the street happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard that they're *not*, but who knows. If you're interested in Main Street, you should give Matt Kennell at City Center Partnership a buzz. Here's their website.

• 1 month later...

THE NBSC building would be a cool residential conversion. There is still plenty of office space to absorb it. Put a roof top pool/ garden and make some high end condos.

Or how about tearing down that hotel where Atlanta Bread Company is in and put up a cool residential tower?

Archived