Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Uptown sounds good to me. I've been calling the area from around North and College to about Rolling Hills "midtown" for a while now.

I guess I've never really though of any names for parts of the city really. Only simple things like calling any part of the city west of I-540 west Fayetteville ans such. But I do like the idea of having names or districts for parts of the city. Give certain areas a label or something to identify it.

I didn't catch what group was responsible for this poll. But apparently Fayetteville was picked 7th as a travelers destination. A very good showing, there were a number of well known areas ranked below us. Saw this mentioned on the local tv news but as I mentioned before, I didn't really hear where this ranking came from.

I didn't catch what group was responsible for this poll. But apparently Fayetteville was picked 7th as a travelers destination. A very good showing, there were a number of well known areas ranked below us. Saw this mentioned on the local tv news but as I mentioned before, I didn't really hear where this ranking came from.

Still haven't caught the exact group who did the poll but it had something to do with business travelers.

Construction of the improvements along College Ave is starting to wind down. Shouldn't be too much longer before just about all the work will be done. Although a bit of the work will have to be done a little later. It's easier on the new trees to plant them in the Fall. Apparently over 100 trees will be planted. I hadn't realized there would be that many trees planted. It also sounds like there will be a mixture of trees planted. basically trees that are native to the area and state.

I believe I heard something about another Fayetteville Forward meeting coming up soon. But I think this one is going to focus more on the history of Fayetteville. I think maybe they might be considering the possibility of having a museum focusing on the history of the city. I never really understood why Fayetteville doesn't have a museum set up like Springdale or Rogers. My guess is because the university is here, one just never developed. Although the university mothballed it's museum and I don't recall it really focusing a lot on Fayetteville history anyway. I think the city should have some sort of historical museum. Especially considering it's long been the 'hub' of the area and one of the oldest settlements in this area. Just seems odd to me that I can sometimes get better info on Fayetteville's history by going up to the Shiloh Museum of the Ozarks in Springdale.

Construction of the improvements along College Ave is starting to wind down. Shouldn't be too much longer before just about all the work will be done. Although a bit of the work will have to be done a little later. It's easier on the new trees to plant them in the Fall. Apparently over 100 trees will be planted. I hadn't realized there would be that many trees planted. It also sounds like there will be a mixture of trees planted. basically trees that are native to the area and state.

Yea! They have been milling at night this week and looks like they are ready to lay asphalt. It is really going to be an improvement that pays dividends for decades to come.

I believe I heard something about another Fayetteville Forward meeting coming up soon. But I think this one is going to focus more on the history of Fayetteville. I think maybe they might be considering the possibility of having a museum focusing on the history of the city. I never really understood why Fayetteville doesn't have a museum set up like Springdale or Rogers. My guess is because the university is here, one just never developed. Although the university mothballed it's museum and I don't recall it really focusing a lot on Fayetteville history anyway. I think the city should have some sort of historical museum. Especially considering it's long been the 'hub' of the area and one of the oldest settlements in this area. Just seems odd to me that I can sometimes get better info on Fayetteville's history by going up to the Shiloh Museum of the Ozarks in Springdale.

Your post got me to thinking that I hadn't been up to the Shiloh Museum in many years so I paid a visit. It is an outstanding museum for no larger a city than Springdale is. It is well kept and very informative about NWA and it's past. It is especially interesting to read how the hillbilly stereotype started and has been perpetuated through the years. If the Fayetteville community could start something like that focusing on Fayetteville and University of Arkansas history it would be a great asset for the area. I don't know if the Old Post Office on the square is large enough but that would be an ideal location if it is. Another possible location would be the old Ozark Smokehouse building although Nightbird Books and that little cafe take up part of that space. A location on campus might be a good idea but parking is such a hassle that that idea might not be feasible.

Your post got me to thinking that I hadn't been up to the Shiloh Museum in many years so I paid a visit. It is an outstanding museum for no larger a city than Springdale is. It is well kept and very informative about NWA and it's past. It is especially interesting to read how the hillbilly stereotype started and has been perpetuated through the years. If the Fayetteville community could start something like that focusing on Fayetteville and University of Arkansas history it would be a great asset for the area. I don't know if the Old Post Office on the square is large enough but that would be an ideal location if it is. Another possible location would be the old Ozark Smokehouse building although Nightbird Books and that little cafe take up part of that space. A location on campus might be a good idea but parking is such a hassle that that idea might not be feasible.

I agree, I don't think I'd want it on campus. Downtown would obviously be a good place to have it. Like you said, the Old Post Office spot is a good location but I also don't know that there would be enough space. The other spot you mentioned, the old Ozark Smokehouse, could work. I just think we should have something along the lines of the Shiloh Museum. With Fayetteville one of the oldest cities in NWA and the traditional 'hub' of NWA you'd just think there would be a museum like the Shiloh Museum here.

I haven't heard a lot of press about this yet but looks like Walmart is going to move ahead and push for selling beer at it's Fayetteville locations. I haven't heard any news yet if they'll try to do the same in Springdale. Traditionally Washington County hasn't allowed alcohol sales outside of liquor stores. But a little while back it was discovered that the county's law on that actually conflicts with a state law. Figuring lawsuits could eventually come forward the county started allowing some convenient stores to sell beer. I knew it was just a matter of time before Walmart would push for it as well. And if Walmart sells beer at it's Fayetteville locations then Harps is also going to make the move as well. All of that I would imagine affect some of the liquor stores in Fayetteville. Of course the usual opposition will step up and make their views known. But I'd be surprised if Walmart didn't win out. Walmart already sells beer in a number of locations in other Arkansas counties.

The parcel of land at the SWC of Dickson Street and Block Avenue which was Brandon Barber's failed Divinity project is set to be auctioned off September 28th. Hopefully somebody cool with a good vision will buy it and get it for cheap. I think that parcel would be awesome for about 5 stories of high end rental apartments with a great ground floor restaurant or two. Some kind of development there would do a lot to tie Dickson and theSquare together.

The parcel of land at the SWC of Dickson Street and Block Avenue which was Brandon Barber's failed Divinity project is set to be auctioned off September 28th. Hopefully somebody cool with a good vision will buy it and get it for cheap. I think that parcel would be awesome for about 5 stories of high end rental apartments with a great ground floor restaurant or two. Some kind of development there would do a lot to tie Dickson and theSquare together.

Good to hear that. Considering what Barber paid for it almost any price will seem cheap. Wonder if that includes the lot he bought for the parking deck?

I'm hoping someone will see the need for a good hotel on Dickson Street and build it there. A hotel would be a big economic boost for the businesses on Dickson. It wouldn't have to be a high-end full service hotel- a mid range with limited service would probably be very successful and might actually be better for the area. Hopefully the neighbors will realize that someday something is going to be built there and it won't a space wasting single level development.

I've been wondering what was going to happen to that land. The only thing Barber ended up doing with it is use it to put some supplies for other projects like the Legacy Bldg. I'd also like to see a hotel on Dickson. But wouldn't mind seeing the land used as something else. Just about anything would be an improvement over what it is right now. With the way the economy has been though I wonder if a developer would do anything soon there or maybe play it safe and put in a relatively small development.

I haven't heard a lot of press about this yet but looks like Walmart is going to move ahead and push for selling beer at it's Fayetteville locations. I haven't heard any news yet if they'll try to do the same in Springdale. Traditionally Washington County hasn't allowed alcohol sales outside of liquor stores. But a little while back it was discovered that the county's law on that actually conflicts with a state law. Figuring lawsuits could eventually come forward the county started allowing some convenient stores to sell beer. I knew it was just a matter of time before Walmart would push for it as well. And if Walmart sells beer at it's Fayetteville locations then Harps is also going to make the move as well. All of that I would imagine affect some of the liquor stores in Fayetteville. Of course the usual opposition will step up and make their views known. But I'd be surprised if Walmart didn't win out. Walmart already sells beer in a number of locations in other Arkansas counties.

Now that is some good news. Civilization wins out--silly that people have to make two stops just to buy groceries and wine/beer. And our state rep had some over-the-top comments in the paper on this issue, saying that her heart is broken when college kids get busted for buying alcohol. When a sane society would just let those adults buy alcohol.

Edited by aerotive

Now that is some good news. Civilization wins out--silly that people have to make two stops just to buy groceries and wine/beer. And our state rep had some over-the-top comments in the paper on this issue, saying that her heart is broken when college kids get busted for buying alcohol. When a sane society would just let those adults buy alcohol.

Yeah I knew Sue Madison would certainly speak out after she made sure to make a big deal about Macadoodles up in Springdale. I wonder when re-election time is for her. But anyway I'm still not sure she can do much to stop Walmart. They already sell beer in a lot of their other stores in wet counties across the state. Kids aren't going to be able get beer any easier than they could sending some older 'friend' in to some liquor store. That being said I don't necessarily want to see Walmart and all the grocery stores knock all the liquor stores out of business either. But I do think Walmart and the grocery stores should be allowed to sell beer. I imagine it will hurt liquor stores and some of the smaller or less successful ones might go out of business.

On another note I'd really like to see Springdale Walmarts and grocery stores to start selling beer. All those Phillips controlled liquor stores deserve some competition for a change.

I've been forgetting to mention this. I read an article last week about someone from New Zealand here's over here studying 'green' libraries in North America. Granted this isn't some official study or anything but he's said our library is possibly the greenest he's seen in North America. Still great to see the Fayetteville Public Library being recognized.

If WM started selling beer, odds are none of the liquor stores would go out of business. However, they would cut back substantially on the Bud-Mill-oors they sell as that market will go to Wal-Mart. The liquor stores would hopefully diversify and increase their stake in wines and higher end beer.

The Fayetteville City Council is preparing to get directly involved in the quarrying dispute that has occupied the Washington County Quorum Court for quite some time. There are two rock quarry and red dirt mining facilities outside the western edge of Fayetteville's city limits that have been there many years and provided a local source for those two basic building materials. Although these aren't the only sources for rock and red dirt they are already established and close by. In a classic case of NIMBYism, the neighbors of the area are fighting plans to create a long term source of rock and red dirt by expanding the footprint of the quarries onto adjacent land. The neighbors have been going through the Quorum Court with limited success so now they have pressured the City Council to join with them.

The quarries are inplace and have been for many years. They provide a local source for vital building materials that fuel the economic development that the area depends on. It has been established by testing that the blasts that the neighbors complain about have little effect on the area- Quroum Court members stood by while a blast was set off and noticed little disturbance from it. Yes, it is neccesary to have large dump trucks hauling material out of the area. That will be the case no matter where the operations are and such trucks have been all over NWA during the recent high growth years. The effects of these trucks can be minimized by covering the loads and if needed an improved road to the sites. Dust affects can be minimized also very easily with a water truck.

The neighbors' goal seems to be to shut the quarries down instead of working with them to solve any problems that need solving. While it is the place of the City Council and Quorum Court to regulate the quarries it is not their place to put uncalled for burdens on the companies that will cause them to cease operations. Letting a relatively few neighbors loud complaints cause higher construction costs and the need for new quarry sites on greenfield areas is a mistake.

Edited by zman9810

The Fayetteville City Council is preparing to get directly involved in the quarrying dispute that has occupied the Washington County Quorum Court for quite some time. There are two rock quarry and red dirt mining facilities outside the western edge of Fayetteville's city limits that have been there many years and provided a local source for those two basic building materials. Although these aren't the only sources for rock and red dirt they are already established and close by. In a classic case of NIMBYism, the neighbors of the area are fighting plans to create a long term source of rock and red dirt by expanding the footprint of the quarries onto adjacent land. The neighbors have been going through the Quorum Court with limited success so now they have pressured the City Council to join with them.

The quarries are in place and have been for many years. They provide a local source for vital building materials that fuel the economic development that the area depends on. It has been established by testing that the blasts that the neighbors complain about have little effect on the area- Quroum Court members stood by while a blast was set off and noticed little disturbance from it. Yes, it is necessary to have large dump trucks hauling material out of the area. That will be the case no matter where the operations are and such trucks have been all over NWA during the recent high growth years. The effects of these trucks can be minimized by covering the loads and if needed an improved road to the sites. Dust affects can be minimized also very easily with a water truck.

The neighbors' goal seems to be to shut the quarries down instead of working with them to solve any problems that need solving. While it is the place of the City Council and Quorum Court to regulate the quarries it is not their place to put uncalled for burdens on the companies that will cause them to cease operations. Letting a relatively few neighbors loud complaints cause higher construction costs and the need for new quarry sites on greenfield areas is a mistake.

Yeah I can understand rock quarries aren't exactly the neighbor you really want. But like you said, it's not like these quarries suddenly popped up. They've been there. It's like moving into a house near to the airport then complaining about the noise and trying to get the airport shut down.

Construction has started on the North College median between Lafayette and Dickson. If you have to drive that direction be sure to allow time for delays. That project is going to look great when it is finished but it sure is taking a long time.

I've been avoiding that section since there's been construction but now that it's pretty much over till they put in more trees I finally drove that section of College Ave. Very nice, it looks better than I thought. It would be really great if they could extend that work along other sections of College Ave.

The Fayetteville City Council tabled their quarry ordinances after it was revealed that one of the quarry owners had not had any chance to have a say about those ordinances. That seems to indicate that these are ordinances being hurried through under pressure by political forces and not a sincere attempt to solve problems with the quarries. It seems likely that those council members who say they don't want to shut the businesses down simply prefer to say they don't, but in reality do. It's curious how people can say they are for economic development but then try to burden tax paying and job creating vital businesses with undue restrictions.

The Quorum Court denied the conditional use permit one quarry was asking for to extend the life of it's location for 50 to 75 years. The building materials that would have came from that site will now have to brought from farther away at greater expense to all taxpayers. Money that could have spent for construction will be spent on fuel for hauling materials. The next time a road project comes in over budget decisons like this can be looked at as to why. When a quarry permit is asked for on land that hasn't been disturbed in some pretty green area this decision not to use an established site can be looked at. Of course, for those anti-growth proponents decisons like this are just what they want- who needs jobs and a rising tax base?

There has to be a balance between quality of life in the city and economic development.

We could create all the jobs in the world if we weren't concerned about pollution, noise, etc. I think there are valid reasons for not wanting quarrying operations on the edge of town.

I could make money doing a number of different things on my property that I own in Fayetteville. I could maximize the potential in the land I own, and some might argue that I should have the right to do that. The reality is that I have neighbors, and so I have to follow rules to ensure that I don't infringe on their right of enjoyment of their property.

When a business operation uses explosives and heavy equipment, there are going to be issues with adjacent property owners and concerns that need to be addressed. I don't think what is happening right now is unreasonable.

I guess I feel there needs to compromise on both sides. You can't let the quarries do whatever they want. But the people living in the area seem to have demands that would end up having the quarry close. Which of course works in their favor. I think some residents are intentionally trying to get the quarry to close. I don't think that's right either. The quarry was there before most of the neighbors was there. I don't think it was the quarry's fault that the city allowed development to get closer to the quarry. I know the city needs space to grown and you can't hold back development. As the city continues to grow eventually the quarry probably will have to close. But I'm not sure if that time is right now though.

I think as long as there is reasonable opposition the council should listen. I'm not in the situation so I can't really decide for myself if the concerns of the citizens are legitimate or not.

Getting limestone from close by would be a really good thing. I don't even know though if it is considered a city or county quarry in that case. They may end up trucking it to places not so close by.

One thing that bothers me is that every quarry in NWA has neighbors- is this the start of an attempt to close every site that we get these basic building materials from? The quarry next to the Wagon Wheel exit on I540, the one out 264 east of Springdale and the one south of Fayetteville all have neighbors that can now say they want the same policies carried out against those quarries. Those neighbors have the right to have the same sort of actions taken on their behalf. It seems the only reason the quarry neighbors west of town are getting their way is that they are the loudest and have politically powerful allies.

While I the point about the quality of life issue I think it works both ways. Because of the nature of rural Arkansas it is almost impossible to site a quarry without it having neighbors. Even if you go 30 miles away from Fayetteville the quarry site will have some neighbor that will have the same complaints. The difference is that it will cost much more to build anything that uses the products. The red dirt underlies virtually every building site in NWA and has most likely been trucked in. The rock produced is an ingredient in the base and asphalt of most roads. It is used as a main ingredient of the concrete used everyway from house slabs to sidewalks. The quality of life of us all suffers when construction costs rise whether it is a public or private project. The idea of compromise and resolving the problems while preserving an important source of building materials is a good one.

Edited by zman9810

Getting limestone from close by would be a really good thing. I don't even know though if it is considered a city or county quarry in that case. They may end up trucking it to places not so close by.

That is pretty much the point- the rock and red dirt are not themselves the expense- it is the transportation of them that is costly. The quarries are not creating anything but simply processing what is in that small area. The farther those materials have to be moved the more costly and less environmentally sensitive it is. That is why it is economically important and more environmentally friendly to have sources close by. We can't get away from using these basic building materials but we can take steps to lessen the negative affects of their use. The Fayetteville community needs to take a stand for the ecology of the area by supporting a choice that lessens the overall impact of acquiring the basic building blocks of our community.

Edited by zman9810