Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Looks like another very large parcel of undeveloped land near Uptown Fayetteville will be rezoned.  This piece is along Gregg and Drake on the south side of the Expressway and I-49 interchange.  The proposal would change the existing zoning on the 185 acres to Urban Thoroughfare which is a pretty big jump in density as far as zoning goes.  This is just across the expressway from all of the recently rezoned land along the Van Asche extention and is using the more preferred zoning that the city supports.  

This style of zoning supports taller buildings, dense regional commercial development, and all varieties of housing.  Depending how this goes, it could completely change the view coming into Fayetteville from the north over the next few years.  

Here is a link to more information: Rezoning 185 Acres

• Like 1

That is interesting. I didn't realize there was that much acreage there. I know the 49/Fulbright interchange redo is going to take some of it on the north side but that is still a huge property. With the railroad on the Gregg side and Drake being a narrow street there will be access issues to be addressed but the city council will jump at the chance to have that zoning on it. It will indeed change the cityscape when you come over the hill on 49.

• Like 1

Yes, I would expect to see some major widening of Drake and Garland and some sort of connection across the expressway to Van Asche.  Not sure if it will be over or under or even be able to connect to the expressway but it would be a smart move to have an exit there for easier access from I-49 to both areas.

1 hour ago, strmchsr77 said:

Yes, I would expect to see some major widening of Drake and Garland and some sort of connection across the expressway to Van Asche.  Not sure if it will be over or under or even be able to connect to the expressway but it would be a smart move to have an exit there for easier access from I-49 to both areas.

Garland and Gregg both connect to Van Asche. Can't see any other connection 

The master street plan shows the extension of Appleby from its current terminus at Gregg, SW of Washington Regional, over into the parcel we're discussing.

I believe there's another street shown crossing over or under Fulbright Expressway and connecting up with the Terminella land.  That might be 20 years out or never, though.

• Like 1

The City needs to update their website. The master street plan I see doesn't show that extension of Appleby but it does show Leverett extending over Fulbright and splitting to connect to Van Asche with frontage streets over to Gregg. It also shows Drake being extended through the park over to Gregg- not sure if that is still a plan or not.

I'm thinking that the state has already acquired the land needed for the 49/Fulbright interchange so that acreage isn't included in the 185 acres.

• 2 months later...

The Uptown Fayetteville area continues to add businesses.  Looks like a new Fairfield Inn Hotel and an Altitude Trampoline Park will be joining the booming area.  They are both going in on Van Asche but not the part of Van Asche you would think.  Both new developments are going in the two remaining lots near Red Robin and the Marriott Hotel assuming the City approves.  

Here is more information on the Trampline Park. Seems like they have locations scattered around the country and even in the UK.

Altitude Trampoline Park

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

EJ Ball building has been purchased by SRG and Moses Tucker.  It sounds like they plan to keep it office, but the article also mentions "Redevelopment".

That's exciting news.  For such a significant building on the Fayetteville skyline, it isn't much to look at.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2016/09/14/ej-ball-building-under-new-ownership-in-downtown-fayetteville/

Edited by wmr

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the Walton Arts Center re-opening last weekend and was thrilled to see that the renovations went far beyond superficial improvements to the visible parts of the center. Major improvements to the backstage infrastructure mean that the facility will be able to handle the requirements of modern Broadway productions and the Starr Theater will be a true black box amenity while Baum Walker is hosting. The lobby is beautiful and much more accessible to Dickson Street.

I will always think that Fayetteville would have been the better place for the large theater that will be built in Bentonville but since that debate was concluded years ago I'm thrilled that Fayetteville has a first class PAC that any city would be happy to have. NWA is growing to the point where it should be able to support two high quality PAC's and they both thrive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, aerotive said:

Re the cell tower going in near Washington Regional, I though that had been denied due to height.  Was their a compromise?  Did one side give in?

It looks terrible.  I thought the city was willing to give them permission to attach it to one of their buildings.  It really detracts from that whole area.

8 hours ago, wmr said:

It looks terrible.  I thought the city was willing to give them permission to attach it to one of their buildings.  It really detracts from that whole area.

Yeah I agree.  Don't care about height but was hoping it would be more integrated and less obvious.  Maybe it'll look better once finished...maybe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was an article in the DemGaz today that said Willow Heights residents would be moving to another complex on the south side of the city and that the land currently occupied by the aging housing project will be sold.

Does anybody know anything about this?  The views from that land are some of the best in the city.  I could see it being a really great downtown park.  

3 hours ago, wmr said:

There was an article in the DemGaz today that said Willow Heights residents would be moving to another complex on the south side of the city and that the land currently occupied by the aging housing project will be sold.

Does anybody know anything about this?  The views from that land are some of the best in the city.  I could see it being a really great downtown park.  

Long article, basically will be privately developed but not until 2022 and will be single family and cluster homes with a mix of income levels

There are about half dozen city rezoning signs along N. College from Maple to North St- both sides of the street. Some are on developed lots and even one on the parking lot at the SE corner of College and North. Can't imagine them all being owned by the same person. Wonder what is going on?

2 hours ago, zman9810 said:

There are about half dozen city rezoning signs along N. College from Maple to North St- both sides of the street. Some are on developed lots and even one on the parking lot at the SE corner of College and North. Can't imagine them all being owned by the same person. Wonder what is going on?

Probably this:

http://www.fayetteville-ar.gov/DocumentCenter/View/11790

4 hours ago, zman9810 said:

I posted pic in the College Ave thread.

13 hours ago, zman9810 said:

I see- its the city being proactive in guiding development. They may as well do away with the old zoning regs instead of piecemeal approach.

If this section of College is rezoned, I'd expect to see it push further north.  It can only be good for redevelopment.  These new zonings give property owners more uses and options for the property.

There are still some cases where the "old zoning" is useful, but most of the development under the new codes just looks better, is more prominent to the street frontages, and makes the city look better.  I find it hard to understand the resistance some property owners have to it.

• 5 months later...

Improvements to the MLK/I49 interchange are still being discussed. Its shocking to see that spending an extra 10 million dollars and taking out several buildings occupied by operating businesses is being considered. This action would be needed to accommodate the "loop" option for rightaway. The "flyover" option can be built within the existing rightaway and seems to be a much safer way of helping traffic flow. The loop option requires an acceleration out of the tight curve to 65 mph in order to merge. The flyover option gives much better sight distance and smoother merging. Hopefully the highway department isn't pushed into a bad choice.