Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

There's another delay in the sale barn rezoning issue. Seems the veterans and their supporters used the classic bulllying techniques of loud angry words and intimidating presence to dominate the City Council meeting. State Senator Madison wants the city to ignore the rule of law by giving the veterans group special treatment- the city attorney has made clear that the city council can not make the decision based on who they want to own the land. If the veterans want to be treated special in this case they need to push for a law giving them that special treatment- not try to circumvent the established procedures. Demonizing an entire group of diverse individuals like college students is another strong arm technique and shouldn't be rewarded with special treatment.

I took another trip out to the sale barn site- it is an industrial area and not adjacent to a residential neighborhood. It is roughly an L shaped property with the bottom of the L to the north. To north and east of the property are warehouse like structures and some retail. South School St. (Hwy 71B) is one block away to the east and the sale barn land is much higher and overlooks it. To the south is Fayetteville Motor Exchange and two older houses. Less than a block south (surprise!) is a lower income apartment complex. The residential neighborhoods are on the other side of the cemetery- the sale barn land is not a buffer for them. The downzoning will allow a much higher use of the property and it will be a buffer between the industrials uses around it and the cemetery and also the noise from South School St. Delaying the this decison by having a study is just an end around move that is patently unfair- the study may be needed but shouldn't be used as a way to penalize the owners.

Here's a couple of photos showing the uses in the area and the close proximity of South School. These are from the sale barn property looking southeast and northeast.

DSCN1830.jpg

DSCN1831.jpg

Edited by zman9810

Yeah a two week delay I believe. The funny thing is though is supposedly the City Council aren't supposed to be considering the actual development just the zoning. In some instances I do feel fore the veterans in a way and I certainly like the idea of there being more land for the Natl Cemetery in the future. But the whole 'over-reaction' is what's mainly bothering me. Making stereotypical remarks as if the college housing and college students are the worst possible thing that could happen to that land. That and the whole fact that they waited until after a contract was made to express interest in the land. You can't just assume the landowner was going to give you the first offer or save the land for you. If they were interested in the land they should have spoken up a long time ago and let the landowner know. I hate feeling like I'm coming down on the veterans. But honestly they have really mishandled the whole thing. Shouldn't there have been someone who should have at least talked to the owner to express interest at some future point a while back ago? Shouldn't someone have known what the surrounding land was zoned and what possible developments could happen if someone sold neighboring land? Either way, this thing seems likely to end badly, no matter what decision is made.

I certainly agree that the veterans deserve to be honored- there have been veterans in my family and I have always respected them for their service to the country. There are projects like the Veterans Home and new additon to the Veterans Hospital that are needed and welcome in Fayetteville. The cemetery does need the land and much more in the long term. This is just not the way to do it.

There are lots on the north and west sides of the cemetery that the veterans should start looking to acquire as they become available. Start raising the money now and inquiring as to what it will take to buy the lots and what zoning issues there might be. Right now it almost seems like they have waited until they are in crisis mode to do anything. Maybe that was the plan- they are getting a lot of attention and support that must have not been there before.

The bottom line is that the rezoning is compatible and there is not a good reason for the council to not approve it.

Sorry this is off topic but I wanted to mention this on here.

Fayetteville gets ranked highly again. This time we were ranked #6 by SmarterCities. Its all about green building, Air quality, green space, etc...

Here is a lot more information from the website: SmartCities Ranks Fayetteville #6

Thanks for the news and link. It's probably a good thing to get off the subject of the Natl Cemetery for a while. I'd seen some info recently about 'green jobs'. Arkansas as a whole rated okay on green job growth. Although there were some other states way ahead of us. Although of course the state is being rated as a whole. So of course other parts of the state bring what's happened in NWA down. Looks like we got really high marks on environmental standards and participation. You also get some interesting info by clicking on Fayetteville. Although they need another picture. The picture states it's the Ozarks, but I'm pretty sure that's somewhere down in the Arkansas River Valley. Probably Mt Petit Jean. Now I see there's more than one picture. Hmmm...imagine that, one of mine are on there. Sorta funny how some of my pictures sorta pop up. Not sure how they manage to get around like that. Anyway nice to see us getting recognized.

Hmmm...imagine that, one of mine are on there. Sorta funny how some of my pictures sorta pop up. Not sure how they manage to get around like that.

I thought that picture looked familiar. They always get your pictures. I guess you could take it as a compliment...

So did you license the photos or did they just appropriate them?

No I'm guessing they pick them up from somewhere. The city has managed to end up with some of my pics. For all I know the city gave some pics to them. Granted most of the pics that turn up are my older pics. I didn't think much people getting them and wasn't particularly careful with them. Anyway guess that was a learning experience. :) I guess I just find it funny that I've seen my pictures of Fayetteville pop up in a number of places. Yet I've never had anyone actually ask to use them. But I guess in most cases it benefits the city I live in. So I guess in some manner I'm helping the city.

No I'm guessing they pick them up from somewhere. The city has managed to end up with some of my pics. For all I know the city gave some pics to them. Granted most of the pics that turn up are my older pics. I didn't think much people getting them and wasn't particularly careful with them. Anyway guess that was a learning experience. :) I guess I just find it funny that I've seen my pictures of Fayetteville pop up in a number of places. Yet I've never had anyone actually ask to use them. But I guess in most cases it benefits the city I live in. So I guess in some manner I'm helping the city.

Do you watermark your newer work? How long ago did you take that picture of the library.

Oh, and yea that is definitely Petit Jean overlooking the Arkansas River. The could have put some Buffalo River cliff pics in there and actually been accurate and they would have been easily as beautiful.

Do you watermark your newer work? How long ago did you take that picture of the library.

Oh, and yea that is definitely Petit Jean overlooking the Arkansas River. The could have put some Buffalo River cliff pics in there and actually been accurate and they would have been easily as beautiful.

Yeah I mark my newer work. Let's see that picture of the library is probably 4 years old. Yeah some pics of the Buffalo River area would have been nice. Not sure how they got their pics and if it was their mistake or if someone else made the mistake they they picked it up because they thought it really was the Ozarks.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction has started on the North College median between Lafayette and Dickson. If you have to drive that direction be sure to allow time for delays. That project is going to look great when it is finished but it sure is taking a long time.

Are they putting a median in there? I knew they were putting in new sidewalks and trees and such on the sides of the road. But I guess I missed the news about a median. That reminds me of something else. Driving ob College Ave I've been by Township a couple of times and noticed something was going on. Is that a new sidewalk they're putting in on the section of Township east of College Ave? I was also wondering if they're just improving an old sidewalk or if this is a totally new sidewalk.

Are they putting a median in there? I knew they were putting in new sidewalks and trees and such on the sides of the road. But I guess I missed the news about a median. That reminds me of something else. Driving ob College Ave I've been by Township a couple of times and noticed something was going on. Is that a new sidewalk they're putting in on the section of Township east of College Ave? I was also wondering if they're just improving an old sidewalk or if this is a totally new sidewalk.

Yes, the plans showed a median between Lafayette and Dickson and a short one between Lafayette and Maple- I wish I could find that newspaper article but it seems to have disappeared.

Not sure about Township -I've avoided it since they started work.

edit: Now I really want to find that article- seems the median has turned into two short islands. I don't think that is what the original plans called for.

What's the difference between a median and an island anyway? I thought islands were like the structures that are placed in the middle of intersections as traffic calming devices. When does a median become an island?

Edited by zman9810

Yes, the plans showed a median between Lafayette and Dickson and a short one between Lafayette and Maple- I wish I could find that newspaper article but it seems to have disappeared.

Not sure about Township -I've avoided it since they started work.

edit: Now I really want to find that article- seems the median has turned into two short islands. I don't think that is what the original plans called for.

What's the difference between a median and an island anyway? I thought islands were like the structures that are placed in the middle of intersections as traffic calming devices. When does a median become an island?

Speaking of which, I saw it mentioned in today's newspaper. Guess I missed that news. Anyway it will be nice to have a bit of a break in the pavement. Now we just have to hope trucks and vehicles don't keep hitting it. Otherwise we might have to take those islands out just like they did on Dickson St. :rolleyes::lol:

I've been meaning to mention this for a while. In case not everybody has heard the city has something new on their website listing road construction zones and such. Handy little guide to what's going on and also gives you an idea of how long the project will take.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/governme...atrol/index.cfm

Fayetteville is still doing well with it's recycling program. Sounds like in the six state region we're in Fayetteville is one of the better programs set up. Our region apparently is Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas and Arizona. (A bit weird that New Mexico is skipped over for Arizona if that's correct.) The average household here recycles an average of 587 pounds a year. One of the best in our entire region.

With a sad face, I have now removed nwanews.com from my bookmarks tab. Sad to see the news gone. I was starting to like nwaonline better anyways. The comment section is helpful.

Yeah, although technically there will still be a few free things on their website. But honestly not really enough to really be worth your while.

It's just a matter of time until the Morning News has to do the same thing. Businesses can't give away their product for free and survive. The small amount of revenue they get from online ads doesn't cover the cost of reporting the news and all that goes into that. I'm surprised it took this long- the Little Rock edition has charged a fee for years. Only because the competition with the Morning News did it take so long in NWA.

Yeah, I understand the move. I just don't like it since I can't afford to pay the price each month. Even though I am addicted to reading the news every morning, I will still not pay for it. Especially since it doesnt have all the features that I want or all of the news that I want. I have to go to 4 or 5 different news companies just to find most of the stories. No way will I pay for one when I don't for the others. And if the rest start charging then I will just not read the local news. Sad but I rather not read the news if I have to pay for mutliple subscriptions.

I guess we're calling the 'mall area' Uptown now. North Fayetteville isn't specific enough and I guess the city didn't like calling it the mall area either. I guess I can see that, and it would be nice to have a name for it rather than just calling it the mall area. Not sure why we came up with Uptown exactly, but it works for me. Now I'm curious how far the boundaries of 'Uptown' apply. Is it just north of the Fulbright Expressway or does Milsap apply as well? Also does it end at College Ave or extend a bit eastward on Joyce? :)

I guess we're calling the 'mall area' Uptown now. North Fayetteville isn't specific enough and I guess the city didn't like calling it the mall area either. I guess I can see that, and it would be nice to have a name for it rather than just calling it the mall area. Not sure why we came up with Uptown exactly, but it works for me. Now I'm curious how far the boundaries of 'Uptown' apply. Is it just north of the Fulbright Expressway or does Milsap apply as well? Also does it end at College Ave or extend a bit eastward on Joyce? :)

yeah, I read that also....I've never heard anyone call it Uptown. Kind of silly to me. Like trying too hard to be chic. Good grief, there's a Wal Mart, Mcdonald's, Taco Bell, etc. Not exactly a swanky kind of place. Just call it North Fayetteville or call it all Steele Crossing. But, I'm not in the advertising business so what do I know? :shades:

Mall District is the best for me. Why, because it has the mall and many of the businesses are there because of it. Even if a lot of the newer businesses are not directly supporting the mall they are still there b/c of it and it is primarily a business area... So Mall District sounds the most appropriate to me.

Can you tell that I don't really like "Uptown" as much? It is like when you have this old part of the city that no one really wants to go to and you just start calling it uptown b/c it is out of the way and not as good.

Yeah I'm not really sure how we came up with this name. The mall is up on a hill, although so is quite a number of other places in Fayetteville. Although I do think it's good to have a name for that area. But I don't think I would have come up with Uptown. Just thinking about it I might have come up with Mall District as well. Maybe the city thought that was 'imaginative' enough or something. Either way not sure it matters because the city is going to call it Uptown and I guess we'll just have to get used to it.