Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

City Hospital is a good candidate for redevelopment and even replacement. That spot would be a good place for the additional public housing that Fayetteville needs although that isn't likely considering the value of the land there. Any new public housing would be built on land away from the downtown area to the resident's detriment.

Hillcrest may not be everyone's idea of a attractive building but I like it. It could use a good cleaning and I think the residents would like a interior renovation but it still serves it's function very well. I also don't think any of the residents would agree that it should be torn down and they should be listened to. They like the convenience of being close to town and it helps keep them involved in the commnity. Hillcrest is an important part of Fayetteville's history and has become a very familar sight in Fayetteville's skyline. After all, it is the second tallest building in town behind the Cosmopolitan.

I like that we have Public Housing in downtown Fay (Hillcrest) (Though, I highly disagree with how public housing is administered or for that matter most welfare programs but that is a different subject). The tower does look visually run down but that could be fixed with an exterior wash and paint. It isn't a historic building so they wouldn't have to use any expensive repair options for the sake of preserving its historical value. Also, I have not heard much about it having a bad rep. Of course, it is public housing but have you been to any of the other public housings in Fay? They even have a bad vibe about them.

But anyways, Hillcrest was recently given $556,800.00 for energy efficient upgrades.

What is the history of Hill Crest? I have heard a few things but know little. I know it has won several awards for flowers or something.

City Hospital is a good candidate for redevelopment and even replacement. That spot would be a good place for the additional public housing that Fayetteville needs although that isn't likely considering the value of the land there. Any new public housing would be built on land away from the downtown area to the resident's detriment.

Hillcrest may not be everyone's idea of a attractive building but I like it. It could use a good cleaning and I think the residents would like a interior renovation but it still serves it's function very well. I also don't think any of the residents would agree that it should be torn down and they should be listened to. They like the convenience of being close to town and it helps keep them involved in the commnity. Hillcrest is an important part of Fayetteville's history and has become a very familar sight in Fayetteville's skyline. After all, it is the second tallest building in town behind the Cosmopolitan.

Have you been in Hillcrest? That place should be condemned and leveled. Those people deserve better, whether its downtown or not. There is nothing redeeming or historical about that place. It is a scar on our city.

Have you been in Hillcrest? That place should be condemned and leveled. Those people deserve better, whether its downtown or not. There is nothing redeeming or historical about that place. It is a scar on our city.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the building itself. As I posted earlier it does need work but leveling it would mean displacing the residents permanently- public housing would not be built at that site or near to replace Hillcrest. There has been enough gentrification of the downtown area without forcing these low income residents out. Fayetteville needs more diversity of income levels in the central city - not less. The fact that the building doesn't look like a high end condo is part of it's charm. It gives the downtown area a more urban feel IMO. If I remember right it was the first public housing project built in Fayetteville and pre-dates most of the buildings seen from the south end of town- it is worth saving.

Thanks for the link, Snaple- Hillcrest is on the site of the old Fayetteville High School. I think it was built in 1968 or at least in the late sixties. I think it helps give the image that Fayetteville isn't too full of itself- that we still have our not-so-fancy side.

Edited by zman9810

I would also like to see Hillcrest Towers replaced with something better. My problem isn't with the low-income housing, its with how ugly the building is, and how it doesn't interact with the surrounding environment.

Some of the first lofts down in the River Market District in Little Rock were rent-assisted units, combined with pay units. I'd like to see something like that built on the site of the current Hillcrest Towers. I'd also like to see a building that maximizes the footprint of the property and maybe even has street level storefronts.

That would make the building an important piece of the urban fabric in central Fayetteville. As it stands, its just a big behemoth eyesore with crackerbox sized units and almost no amenities. It doesn't interact with the rest of the city right now. I'd like to see it improved or demolished and replaced.

I don't think the residents interact much with the city on foot right now. I think they are served by ORT and Razorback Transit more than anything. There's no grocery within walking distance. Those people can't afford to eat and drink on Dickson. They aren't really convenient to anything a low-income person needs, except maybe a courthouse. Most cities are moving from having their public housing sequestered into high-rise clumps and integrating it into new developments and mixed with regular housing.

I don't think the residents interact much with the city on foot right now. I think they are served by ORT and Razorback Transit more than anything. There's no grocery within walking distance. Those people can't afford to eat and drink on Dickson. They aren't really convenient to anything a low-income person needs, except maybe a courthouse. Most cities are moving from having their public housing sequestered into high-rise clumps and integrating it into new developments and mixed with regular housing.

Actually...the free clinic is downtown just several blocks away and there is an assistance program some use just up the street next to the City Hospital. Their use of public transportation is a good thing- not a reason to kick them out of their homes. While you probably won't see the residents at Bordinos or Theo's they do frequent many of the businesses and public facilties in the area. They provide a diversity that Fayetteville can be proud of. If Hillcrest wasn't there those residents wouldn't be downtown- they would be out at the edges of town where the cheaper land is.

If Hillcrest didn't exist those people would be out living in Lincoln, Centerton, or West Fayetteville. I think we should keep a low-income housing tower in downtown Fayetteville but honestly the residents, who are mostly senior citizens, deserve better. I would like to see a mixed-use development put in its place similar to the aforementioned storefront idea. And for the sake of urbanity, it should be 10-15 stories.

The Jordan administration has listed it's accomplishments for the year. Except for giving his buddy at the Chamber of Commerce a lot of money I can't see that they have done anything except talk a lot and preside over a huge drop in city revenue. Anything positive that has been done has been because of the preceding administration- Jordan just grudingly let the projects proceed. The idea of a parking deck in the Dickson Street area and keeping the WAC expansion in town have been for the most part let go. Besides some fire department employees being fired for ressons unknown and a lawsuit coming because of it I can't see much accomplished. A fiasco at the animal shelter did occur on Jordan's watch- someone wasn't paying attention to what was going on. Let's see...what other accomplishments have came by?

Edited by zman9810

The Jordan administration has listed it's accomplishments for the year. Except for giving his buddy at the Chamber of Commerce a lot of money I can't see that they have done anything except talk a lot and preside over a huge drop in city revenue. Anything positive that has been done has been because of the preceding administration- Jordan just grudingly let the projects proceed. The idea of a parking deck in the Dickson Street area and keeping the WAC expansion in town have been for the most part let go. Besides some fire department employees being fired for ressons unknown and a lawsuit coming because of it I can't see much accomplished. A fiasco at the animal shelter did occur on Jordan's watch- someone wasn't paying attention to what was going on. Let's see...what other accomplishments have came by?

Big surprise! I didn't vote for him!

Personally, I like Lioneld Jordan, and I think his more upfront discussion-based approach with city residents and groups will make the city feel more invested in itself in the long run. If you have an open forum and direct input on projects, you feel more ownership for the projects and it will translate into a nice sense of satisfaction when they're completed, as well as a drive to get involved with future forums and projects. It's a great idea that isn't new at all, but hadn't been applied to Fayetteville city functions in quite some time, if ever. I also appreciate his efforts to connect more with the University and be approachable and available to city residents.

However... I think Coody had an excellent vision for city growth and the expansion and encouragement of "green" technology and the jobs and businesses it would attract- both issues that seem to not have been mentioned as much with the new administration. I understand the difficulties facing Fayetteville right now with reduced sales tax income; it's hard to grow or encourage growth when you don't have the cash for day-to-day operations, I just wish Jordan would acknowledge and try to at least make verbal commitments (until money is available) to some of the plans and opportunities developed under Coody.

Was one of the accomplishments listed that he has "friended" everyone on Facebook who lives in Fayetteville? Because he has......

Personally, I like Lioneld Jordan, and I think his more upfront discussion-based approach with city residents and groups will make the city feel more invested in itself in the long run. If you have an open forum and direct input on projects, you feel more ownership for the projects and it will translate into a nice sense of satisfaction when they're completed, as well as a drive to get involved with future forums and projects. It's a great idea that isn't new at all, but hadn't been applied to Fayetteville city functions in quite some time, if ever. I also appreciate his efforts to connect more with the University and be approachable and available to city residents.

However... I think Coody had an excellent vision for city growth and the expansion and encouragement of "green" technology and the jobs and businesses it would attract- both issues that seem to not have been mentioned as much with the new administration. I understand the difficulties facing Fayetteville right now with reduced sales tax income; it's hard to grow or encourage growth when you don't have the cash for day-to-day operations, I just wish Jordan would acknowledge and try to at least make verbal commitments (until money is available) to some of the plans and opportunities developed under Coody.

I agree with you. I don't think Jordan is a horrible guy. But as you said I also think Coody had more of a vision for the city.

Was one of the accomplishments listed that he has "friended" everyone on Facebook who lives in Fayetteville? Because he has......

Hmmm...I seem to have been left off. Not that I'm concerned about being on his friend list. :lol:

Jordan's populist approach to government is designed make him seem everyone's friend- regardless if he agrees with those he's talking to. He has managed to avoid any open controversy by luck and the fact that the economy has kept growth to a minimum. The sale barn rezoning vote where he avoided having to take a stand is a prime example- he didn't have to make anyone angry with him although the lawsuit that has been filed may come back to haunt him. I didn't realize that about Facebook but it certainly fits with his style. It's one thing to be open to public discourse but he was elected to do what is best for the city as a whole- not just the residents that show up at his meetings.

One of his other accomplishments was a "millage team" to work for passage of the recently defeated high school millage increase- we can see how that worked out. One of his pending accomplishments is to develop an incentive package to encourage the expansion or redevelopment of the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville. I'd say his support for the new larger facilty being built in Fayetteville has been lukewarm at best and has been meant to not lose support among the Dickson Street business owners and Fayetteville residents that do want the the expansion in town. During his campaign he spoke about wanting to encourage the small cultural events in town and never spoke strongly about wanting the WAC to expand in town. In general he has indeed been a do nothing mayor and as the economy recovers it will be harder to maintain that stance- he will have to add some hard decisions to his record.

Edited by zman9810

I'll tell you one thing..... if Dickson isn't provided a viable parking solution and the WAC is relocated, he's going to make plenty of people angry. I told him such on Facebook.

The WAC and the high school should be the top priorities right now. Trees, bike trails and local artists can wait for a bit.

I'll tell you one thing..... if Dickson isn't provided a viable parking solution and the WAC is relocated, he's going to make plenty of people angry. I told him such on Facebook.

The WAC and the high school should be the top priorities right now. Trees, bike trails and local artists can wait for a bit.

I don't think Jordan has done a single thing with the trail system. Coody pushed for it and since Jordan's election I'm pretty sure all the hard work that's been put into it since has been the Trail Coordinator, Matt Mihalevich. He's the one who has to deal with the property owners. He's the one who has to apply for the grant money. He's also the one who helps design the new trails being put in. I could be wrong but I don't think Jordan has any effect whatsoever on the trail system. So I don't he's being 'distracted' by the trail system.

I don't think Jordan has done a single thing with the trail system. Coody pushed for it and since Jordan's election I'm pretty sure all the hard work that's been put into it since has been the Trail Coordinator, Matt Mihalevich. He's the one who has to deal with the property owners. He's the one who has to apply for the grant money. He's also the one who helps design the new trails being put in. I could be wrong but I don't think Jordan has any effect whatsoever on the trail system. So I don't he's being 'distracted' by the trail system.

Yeah, I never got the impression that Jordan was a big supporter of the trails even though they are a very green asset for the city and a lot of the work is done with grant money.

One of Jordan's pending accomplishments is land use planning to support light rail. This should be fascinating when it is presented. Land use planning to support light rail should include features such as increased density in the central part of town close to the existing rail corridor and discouraging sprawl out at the edges of town. That will mean infill and redevelopment in the central part of town, which Jordan and many of his supporters seem deadset against (it might block the view of Old Main and be seen above the horizon- both big no-no's in their books). So, with no growth in the central part of town and growth being discouraged out at the greenfield edges of town Fayetteville will be in for a no growth period and it's economy will suffer the consequences.

Well the ABC allowed Walmart to start selling beer and small winery wine at some of it's Fayetteville locations. The Supercenter by the NWA Mall was voted unanimously for. The Neighborhood Market on Crossover was voted 3-1 for. But the Supercenter on MLK/6th was denied because of 'high crime' in the area. Is that area really a 'high crime' area? Is that's the case why has the ABC allowed some of those gas stations and convenient stores on the same street to sell? Not that it's a big deal I guess. Walmart gets to sell at it's other Fayetteville locations. But I still don't quite understand the ABC allowing convenient stores and gas stations to sell but not the one Supercenter in the same area. I can't remember when but the Target application came not too long after the Walmart ones. So news about Target should be coming sometime in the next few weeks. Considering the Supercenter in the same area was unanimous I expect it to be voted for as well. I'm still curious to see when Harps will eventually make a move or if IGA will join in as well.

Yeah, I never got the impression that Jordan was a big supporter of the trails even though they are a very green asset for the city and a lot of the work is done with grant money.

One of Jordan's pending accomplishments is land use planning to support light rail. This should be fascinating when it is presented. Land use planning to support light rail should include features such as increased density in the central part of town close to the existing rail corridor and discouraging sprawl out at the edges of town. That will mean infill and redevelopment in the central part of town, which Jordan and many of his supporters seem deadset against (it might block the view of Old Main and be seen above the horizon- both big no-no's in their books). So, with no growth in the central part of town and growth being discouraged out at the greenfield edges of town Fayetteville will be in for a no growth period and it's economy will suffer the consequences.

Well said, Zman. The same people who are opposed to infill are the ones who champion light rail. Are they too ignorant to see that these two things go together? Do they think we can have light rail just because they want it? Are they not aware that certain economic and demographic prerequisites exist?

Sometimes I think our local activists need to spend some time away from Fayetteville to see how the real world works. Its hard to do when your only mode of transport is a bicycle.

The Fayetteville Planning Commission considered and passed by a 5-1 margin a mixed use development for west Fayetteville at Monday night's meeting. During the meeting one of the new commissioners, Jim Zant, made comments in direct opposition to City Plan 2025. He disagreed with the mixing of commercial and residential uses saying that it was only a nostalgic idea and he doesn't envision it for Fayetteville's future. He doesn't see mixed use as realistic in a big box retail world.

City Plan 2025 is the long range master plan for the City of Fayetteville that is designed to assist City staff and officials in achieving our community's long-term goals:

Goal 1

We will make appropriate infill and revitalization our highest priorities.

Goal 2

We will discourage suburban sprawl.

Goal 3

We will make traditional town form the standard.

Goal 4

We will grow a livable transportation network.

Goal 5

We will assemble an enduring green network.

Goal 6

We will create attainable housing.

This plan was reached with much community input through many meetings and discussion. The fact that the process happened during the previous city adminstration does not make it any less valuable or less important path that Fayetteville should follow.

Commissioner Zant was chosen by Mayor Jordan and approved by the City Council earlier this year. He is a resident of Copper Creek subdivision, one of Fayetteville's high end sprawl developments that is entirely residential. It is on the far northeast edge of town and is a greenfield use. It is no wonder that he sees goals such as discouraging suburban sprawl and making traditional town form the standard as negative ideas. He should have never been selected as a choice for Planning Commissioner and should resign his seat immediately if he is unable to support Fayetteville's long term planning goals.

Edited by zman9810

The Fayetteville Planning Commission considered and passed by a 5-1 margin a mixed use development for west Fayetteville at Monday night's meeting. During the meeting one of the new commissioners, Jim Zant, made comments in direct opposition to City Plan 2025. He disagreed with the mixing of commercial and residential uses saying that it was only a nostalgic idea and he doesn't envision it for Fayetteville's future. He doesn't see mixed use as realistic in a big box retail world.

City Plan 2025 is the long range master plan for the City of Fayetteville that is designed to assist City staff and officials in achieving our community's long-term goals:

Goal 1

We will make appropriate infill and revitalization our highest priorities.

Goal 2

We will discourage suburban sprawl.

Goal 3

We will make traditional town form the standard.

Goal 4

We will grow a livable transportation network.

Goal 5

We will assemble an enduring green network.

Goal 6

We will create attainable housing.

This plan was reached with much community input through many meetings and discussion. The fact that the process happened during the previous city administration does not make it any less valuable or less important path that Fayetteville should follow.

Commissioner Zant was chosen by Mayor Jordan and approved by the City Council earlier this year. He is a resident of Copper Creek subdivision, one of Fayetteville's high end sprawl developments that is entirely residential. It is on the far northeast edge of town and is a greenfield use. It is no wonder that he sees goals such as discouraging suburban sprawl and making traditional town form the standard as negative ideas. He should have never been selected as a choice for Planning Commissioner and should resign his seat immediately if he is unable to support Fayetteville's long term planning goals.

Yes that's very discouraging to hear. I wonder if this is some sort of move by Jordan to move Fayetteville from the City Plan 2025 or if Zant was just some random pick. Maybe a friend, Jordan has picked a number of his friends for positions in the city.

Yes that's very discouraging to hear. I wonder if this is some sort of move by Jordan to move Fayetteville from the City Plan 2025 or if Zant was just some random pick. Maybe a friend, Jordan has picked a number of his friends for positions in the city.

Jordan's entire criteria seems to be friendship. He seems to have no ideology or plan whatsoever. I knew his election would be a setback for the city and that's why I was doing TV commercials for Coody.

M

There was a newspaper article last week about paid parking in the Dickson Street area but no real details about how it would be done. Nothing about where, how much it would cost, when it would be enforced or how it would relate to the other plan announced recently of the WAC lots being paid parking at times. No plan on building a deck or even when the paid parking would start. Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it....

There was a newspaper article last week about paid parking in the Dickson Street area but no real details about how it would be done. Nothing about where, how much it would cost, when it would be enforced or how it would relate to the other plan announced recently of the WAC lots being paid parking at times. No plan on building a deck or even when the paid parking would start. Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it....

Yeah I had heard a little about it before I went out of town last week. I had hoped more details would have been out by now as well. At least Jordan seems to be attempting to deal with this. But some more details are needed before I start taking this more seriously.