Mith242

Fayetteville, Arkansas

I heard something about a 'Town Hall meeting' being held either later this month or about a month from now that's supposed to focus on the Dickson parking discussion.

I heard something about a 'Town Hall meeting' being held either later this month or about a month from now that's supposed to focus on the Dickson parking discussion.

I missed that news- was there anymore detail about it?

I missed that news- was there anymore detail about it?

No, I didn't really hear much about it either. It was more of just a side note about the parking issue. I believe more info is supposed to come out during the meeting and there will be more public debate about it. But I really haven't heard much about this meeting. Maybe they're trying to not make it too public and try to cut down on the public 'debate' on the issue. :lol:

Jordan's entire criteria seems to be friendship. He seems to have no ideology or plan whatsoever. I knew his election would be a setback for the city and that's why I was doing TV commercials for Coody.

M

This sort of cronyism is endemic to small & medium-time American politics, probably politics the world over, and the smaller the scale the worse it gets. I voted against Coody because after eight years I figured, just by the nature of the job, that he'd stacked city hall with friends and business pals and doled out favors on a similar basis.

It's very likely I'll vote against Jordan for the same reasons, assuming he gets a second term. Perhaps I'm too cynical but I've seen this pattern repeat so many times.

Edited by aerotive

I don't really know what to think of Jordan. I certainly like him better than Coody as he's claiming to put the interest of the community ahead of the interest of wealth businesses. He's also a union member and connected with a lot of the organizations I support/work with. But he's mostly talk, no walk. His appointments show that there's no real break with the Coody administration. After reading what I wrote, I feel like the same could be said about the big guy in charge (of the country).

The owner of the former Fayetteville sale barn has dropped his lawsuit - the developer that wanted to buy it has stepped back because of the uncertainty of the situation. The suit had merit and when someone else makes an offer for the property and is this happens again a similar suit may be filed. The chances of the veterans that fought the rezoning coming up with the money to buy it isn't any better now than it has been for the last decade- even the offical group that is trying to buy land to expand the cemetary is looking elsewhere.

Maybe it'll become a warehouse or a metal recycling site- I think those are both allowed under the current zoning

Edited by zman9810

The owner of the former Fayetteville sale barn has dropped his lawsuit - the developer that wanted to buy it has stepped back because of the uncertainty of the situation. The suit had merit and when someone else makes an offer for the property and is this happens again a similar suit may be filed. The chances of the veterans that fought the rezoning coming up with the money to buy it isn't any better now than it has been for the last decade- even the official group that is trying to buy land to expand the cemetery is looking elsewhere.

Maybe it'll become a warehouse or a metal recycling site- I think those are both allowed under the current zoning

Yeah I saw that. I feel sorry for the owner. He's probably going to have a hard time no matter what. Unless the veterans come up with some money I see the city and the vets causing a big fuss over anything trying to go in there.

Well maybe Sue Madison and Jeff Tabor finally won one. Target announced they're not going to apply after all to sell beer and small farm wine at their Fayetteville location after all. I have to say I'm surprised. I also still haven't heard any word on Harp's or any other grocery store making a move either. I just really thought Walmart making this move would really open things up and make Washington County a bit more like other wet counties in the state. Of course I guess Harp's could be waiting to see how things go with Walmart first before they make their move. I also guess Target could always change their mind at some point in the future. I just don't see what the big issue is when grocery stores in wet counties across the state already sell it.

Well maybe Sue Madison and Jeff Tabor finally won one. Target announced they're not going to apply after all to sell beer and small farm wine at their Fayetteville location after all. I have to say I'm surprised. I also still haven't heard any word on Harp's or any other grocery store making a move either. I just really thought Walmart making this move would really open things up and make Washington County a bit more like other wet counties in the state. Of course I guess Harp's could be waiting to see how things go with Walmart first before they make their move. I also guess Target could always change their mind at some point in the future. I just don't see what the big issue is when grocery stores in wet counties across the state already sell it.

I don't think I would attribute Target's decison to the local opposition- probably just a business decision that, like you say, they will reconsider in the future. If they look at the numbers and it seems to be affecting sales they will apply and most likely be approved.

I don't think I would attribute Target's decision to the local opposition- probably just a business decision that, like you say, they will reconsider in the future. If they look at the numbers and it seems to be affecting sales they will apply and most likely be approved.

True, I guess we really don't know why Target changed their mind. Although I figured some of the opposition had to have a part in it. But other factors might have played a factor as well. But unless you thought you were going to have problems with employees selling it. Things like making sure employees don't sell to minors and making sure you have enough employees old enough to sell it. I don't see why you wouldn't.

True, I guess we really don't know why Target changed their mind. Although I figured some of the opposition had to have a part in it. But other factors might have played a factor as well. But unless you thought you were going to have problems with employees selling it. Things like making sure employees don't sell to minors and making sure you have enough employees old enough to sell it. I don't see why you wouldn't.

Good point about employees selling alcohol- as we know from the local law enforcement efforts to control alcoholic beverage sales it can be a problem. I imagine that WalMart's efforts in that regard are far better than any given by other retail outlets if only because of the scrutiny that WalMart is under every day in every way. It's a smart business decison to sell it if you can- it can be a convenience matter for consumers.

I can't name my source but I was told that the Fayetteville Target will apply if and when the store is converted to a Pfresh store (fresh produce & meat).

Edited by aerotive

I can't name my source but I was told that the Fayetteville Target will apply if and when the store is converted to a Pfresh store (fresh produce & meat).

Thanks for the info. I talked to a vendor today and he said he wasn't too surprised with Target changing their mind. He said he really didn't think they had the room to add beer. Not sure what will happen if Target converts to the other format type. Will they simply cut down some parts of the store to make more room for food and such, or would it mean they would actually expand the store?

Thanks for the info. I talked to a vendor today and he said he wasn't too surprised with Target changing their mind. He said he really didn't think they had the room to add beer. Not sure what will happen if Target converts to the other format type. Will they simply cut down some parts of the store to make more room for food and such, or would it mean they would actually expand the store?

It would be a remodel, rearranging and reducing various sections to free up space.

I've been catching up, but is it true that wal-mart was approved to sell liquor at the store in north fayetteville but denied for the store on MLK (6th st.)?

I've been catching up, but is it true that wal-mart was approved to sell liquor at the store in north fayetteville but denied for the store on MLK (6th st.)?

Correct. The end aisle of the grocery section at the Mall Ave. Wal-Mart is the liquor section now, and the 6th street one was turned down.

Correct. The end aisle of the grocery section at the Mall Ave. Wal-Mart is the liquor section now, and the 6th street one was turned down.

Yeah I still thought that the one getting turned down was odd. The ABC didn't seem to have any problem allowing convenient stores down the street selling it. But overall I guess it's not that big of a deal. The Uptown Supercenter and the Neighborhood Market on the east side of town will be able to sell. I imagine at some point in the future Walmart will try again for the other Supercenter location. For that matter I wonder when they'll try to get it in the Springdale locations as well. I'd really like to see someone get a foot into the Phillips monopoly up there.

Hmm..that is interesting. My friend said the city turned it down because of the economic status on the south side of town. It sounded like he was repeating the verbage of the council. However, my source should be trustworthy but shame on him if he is wrong.

Hmm..that is interesting. My friend said the city turned it down because of the economic status on the south side of town. It sounded like he was repeating the verbage of the council. However, my source should be trustworthy but shame on him if he is wrong.

I heard that as being the problem as well. But my point is if that's the case then why didn't the ABC have problems allowing the convenient stores down the street in their applications? Just seemed really odd. The only other possibility I can see is that they got approved because they simply got their applications in first. Maybe they think that particular area has more than enough locations. Although you'd think maybe they would have worded it that way instead of referring to that side of town that way.

I heard that as being the problem as well. But my point is if that's the case then why didn't the ABC have problems allowing the convenient stores down the street in their applications? Just seemed really odd. The only other possibility I can see is that they got approved because they simply got their applications in first. Maybe they think that particular area has more than enough locations. Although you'd think maybe they would have worded it that way instead of referring to that side of town that way.

Yeah, if they used that wording it is very confusing. We do have a rich resident in that side of Fayetteville: Lioneld Jordan.

It was denied because it was deemed a high crime area - why that was I have no idea since the store up the street was approved. Wasn't there another application just recently for a liquor store further towards Farmington? The approval process makes about as much sense as the rest of Arkansas's alcohol regulations- no logic at all.

On another topic- a federal judge issued an injunction barring the City of Fayetteville from enforcing it's controversial ordinance against a quarry just outside the west city limits. The ordinance would effectively drive the quarry out of business and now the city is appealing the injunction. The appeal is over whether the injunction is appropriate or not and not about the ordinance itself.

It's clear that the injunction is appropriate- if the ordinance is allowed to be enforced thus causing damage to the business before the lawsuit is settled it would seem to make the city liable for that damage if the suit succeeds. The very ill advised attempt by the city to force the issue without letting the ordinance issue to be decided fairly does no one any good. Fayetteville has made enough bad legal decisions in the past seveal years without adding this one to the list.

Looks like Block St will be the next street in Fayetteville to get a makeover. Not a lot of details have come out yet. No info on costs or just what exact changes will be made. But it's expected that it will be something along the line of Dickson St or the improved section of College Ave last year. The section that will be worked on will be from Dickson St southward to Rock St. The section of the street on the Square won't be included.

Noticed this the other day too...was surprised they're not selling any cold beer. Prices were average.

Here is an article that I haven't seen in a while: nwaonline article. For those who have subscribed they can read it. It basically is one of those old NIMBY articles (it is bittersweet to see one again because it means there'll be development). Oakbrooke sounds a little like Ruskin Heights with some features. I doubt college students will afford to move in to those homes. However, I guess it all depends on if the final product is as quality as they say it will be.