Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Heard a rumor that the mall is pressuring the city to not allow Goodwill to move into the former Circuit City Building. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Haven't heard anything about this. But I could see why the NWA Mall probably wouldn't like the idea. But at the same time I don't know if it's really the Mall's place to tell the city what is can and can't allow there. I guess it's just a question of whether you'd rather see that location remain empty or allow Goodwill to move in.

I don't know why they would oppose Goodwill being a neighbor. The one in Bentonville is in a nice shopping center in a one of the town's hot spots for development. It's not like it is going to attract a bad crowd.

I do think they are worried about that 'perception', whether it be true or not. I imagine they also worry that it could possibly drive more people up to Rogers to shop rather than the NWA Mall. I'm not saying I agree with them, but I believe that's what they are thinking. I admit Goodwill isn't the ideal business I'd like to see located there. But I also don't really like the Mall trying to tell others what should and shouldn't be located in that area either.

I do think they are worried about that 'perception', whether it be true or not. I imagine they also worry that it could possibly drive more people up to Rogers to shop rather than the NWA Mall. I'm not saying I agree with them, but I believe that's what they are thinking. I admit Goodwill isn't the ideal business I'd like to see located there. But I also don't really like the Mall trying to tell others what should and shouldn't be located in that area either.

I would much prefer to see Goodwill go in someplace along College than out at the north end. The redeveloped old Malco on College would be a good site, but so would any number of areas along there. I don't dislike Goodwill, they do a lot of nice things, but I do see why the Mall and maybe even more upscale strip malls like Nelson's Crossing would be concerned about it being their neighbor for real estate perception and public perception reasons.

I would much prefer to see Goodwill go in someplace along College than out at the north end. The redeveloped old Malco on College would be a good site, but so would any number of areas along there. I don't dislike Goodwill, they do a lot of nice things, but I do see why the Mall and maybe even more upscale strip malls like Nelson's Crossing would be concerned about it being their neighbor for real estate perception and public perception reasons.

I agree with you, in particular on the College Ave aspect. You'd think there's got to be some space for them somewhere on College Ave. But like you, I'm not trying to show Goodwill in a negative light. I just don't think the old Circuit City location would be the 'ideal' spot I'd like to see them located.

I agree with you, in particular on the College Ave aspect. You'd think there's got to be some space for them somewhere on College Ave. But like you, I'm not trying to show Goodwill in a negative light. I just don't think the old Circuit City location would be the 'ideal' spot I'd like to see them located.

That building is a challenge for most potential tenants--it's very obviously a former Circuit City store, with all of the negative associations that go along with that. So most any

national retailer would have to do a rather extensive remodel to make use of it. Goodwill wouldn't really care about such superficial things and I'm sure would leave the building

nearly as-is.

Perhaps it'd be easier to simply tear down the structure and start over.

Goodwill may have a perception problem- I think some people may see it as a Salvation Army/ charity type organization when in fact it is simply a non-profit that provides job training and employment for individuals that might otherwise not be able to find them. It doesn't have any religious affiliation and the resale stores are genrerally nice shopping spots. It fits right in with Fayetteville's image as a community that is concerned about the less well-off.

The Circuit City building would be centrally located for the Fayetteville /Springdale market although the old Malco building would be ideal also. As many vacant buildings as there are right now surely they can find a place they can use.

Goodwill may have a perception problem- I think some people may see it as a Salvation Army/ charity type organization when in fact it is simply a non-profit that provides job training and employment for individuals that might otherwise not be able to find them. It doesn't have any religious affiliation and the resale stores are genrerally nice shopping spots. It fits right in with Fayetteville's image as a community that is concerned about the less well-off.

The Circuit City building would be centrally located for the Fayetteville /Springdale market although the old Malco building would be ideal also. As many vacant buildings as there are right now surely they can find a place they can use.

They already have a center in Springdale, which is another reason I think it'd make more sense to put it somewhere other than the north end of town. They have a donation center on Wedington that looks pretty nice, built into one of those mini-strip type malls across from the Country Inn and Suites, I just think even outside of perception reasons, it makes more sense to put it on College or actually, the south end of town, but I suppose they have their reasons for wanting it up there.

Looks like the situation that started a while back between Fayetteville and Johnson is now basically over. Fayetteville has been wanting better access to 'Uptown' also known to most as the 'Mall area'. One thing in particular is better access westward to I-540. The problem was that the land was in Johnson. Fayetteville didn't want to spend a lot of money putting in more direct access to I-540 and then let all the tax dollars from development go to Johnson. But now Johnson has decided to allow 99 acres to de-annex so that it can now be annexed into Fayetteville. The deal both agreed to was basically Fayetteville would be allowed to annex these 99 acres, which was actually less than the previous amount. And Fayetteville will still provide water and sewer services to southern Johnson. Fayetteville was already doing this. But there had been talk of Fayetteville possibly cutting off services because technically there wasn't any contract in place. Southern Johnson will also start getting improved water and sewer services as well. So that Fayetteville can get the 99 acres of what was southwest Johnson. Looks like Fayetteville will eventually have Van Asche extend all the way westward to I-540. I believe there's already a section of Van Asche in the land that was Johnson but isn't directly connected to the Van Asche in Fayetteville. I suppose the city will also look into eventually putting in an interchange on I-540 as well somewhere not too far north of where I-540 and the Fulbright Expressway branch off. But no idea what that might actually come about.

Looks like the situation that started a while back between Fayetteville and Johnson is now basically over. Fayetteville has been wanting better access to 'Uptown' also known to most as the 'Mall area'. One thing in particular is better access westward to I-540. The problem was that the land was in Johnson. Fayetteville didn't want to spend a lot of money putting in more direct access to I-540 and then let all the tax dollars from development go to Johnson. But now Johnson has decided to allow 99 acres to de-annex so that it can now be annexed into Fayetteville. The deal both agreed to was basically Fayetteville would be allowed to annex these 99 acres, which was actually less than the previous amount. And Fayetteville will still provide water and sewer services to southern Johnson. Fayetteville was already doing this. But there had been talk of Fayetteville possibly cutting off services because technically there wasn't any contract in place. Southern Johnson will also start getting improved water and sewer services as well. So that Fayetteville can get the 99 acres of what was southwest Johnson. Looks like Fayetteville will eventually have Van Asche extend all the way westward to I-540. I believe there's already a section of Van Asche in the land that was Johnson but isn't directly connected to the Van Asche in Fayetteville. I suppose the city will also look into eventually putting in an interchange on I-540 as well somewhere not too far north of where I-540 and the Fulbright Expressway branch off. But no idea what that might actually come about.

In the spirit of compromise I guess this is a good deal although it would have been better to have the entire 422 acres come into Fayetteville. In the long term it would be better for the residents and businesses in that area to be in Fayetteville with all the benefits that would come from that. Johnson as a city would be hard pressed to come up with the money needed to make the municipal services available but will reap the benefits from Fayetteville supplying them. Eventually the central part of Johnson will be a pocket city squeezed in between the more well off Fayetteville and Springdale. It would be better to have a Johnson neighborhood with the actual city government dissolved and city services provided by the larger neighbors.

Yep, that is the correct location for this development. It is a mixed use development with retail at the front near zion road and a 6 story medical office building at the Northwest corner of the development nearest Lake Fayetteville. The 6 story building will have 15 residential units/condos on the top floors. The road through this development will be given to the city as a public road and will serve as the new officail entrance to Veteran's Memorial Park (the park on the south side of Lake Fayetteville). It will align with Vantage drive to the south, and it is believed that there will be a stoplight at this intersection after this development is finished. The Parks Board approved the new entrance to the Veteran's Park and recommended a change in name from Vantage Drive to Veteran's Memorial Drive to help with visibility for the park as well as to honor our veterans (currently there is no street named 'Veteran's' in Fayetteville) There are no current active addresses on Vantage Drive, so a name change would not have an adverse economic impact on any businesses or residences. The City Council must act on the name change for it to become official and it is my understanding it will be sponsored at one of the next meetings.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head. I've got details of the development at my office and will check them later. It looks like a really nice mixed use development--especially for that area of town.

This site is being prepped for construction finally. Crews have being taking down the houses on the property stick by stick for several weeks and now the trees are being logged. Whether actual building construction is coming soon ..who knows? Our daily newspaper has cut back on development news since the big merger and that was a major source for planning news.

It was called Park Center and had over 100,000 sq. ft of space on around 8 acres when first proposed.

This site is being prepped for construction finally. Crews have being taking down the houses on the property stick by stick for several weeks and now the trees are being logged. Whether actual building construction is coming soon ..who knows? Our daily newspaper has cut back on development news since the big merger and that was a major source for planning news.

It was called Park Center and had over 100,000 sq. ft of space on around 8 acres when first proposed.

I had forgotten about this. Thanks for finding the original post as well. I was wondering what was going on up there when I was riding my bicycle up to Lake Fayetteville last week. Although it's not going to align too well with Vantage to the south. Unless the road is going a lot further east than I think. But then again there's a number of roads set up like that in Fayetteville. Although in some ways I'll miss the old entrance to Veteran's Memorial Park. While it wasn't the most accommodating for vehicles and you often had to stop to let traffic go on the other side. I liked how it road left the trees up and slowed people down. In a sense letting people know they were away from 'the city' and entering a more relaxing area.

Hmmm...this applies to more than just Fayetteville. But not sure where's the best place to post this. Looks like Walgreens is applying to sell beer and wine at all it's stores in wet counties in the state. This will of course be an issue with the Fayetteville Police Chief and Sen Sue Madison. But outside of NWA I wonder if this will even be an issue at all. Seeing as how beer and some wine is already found in a lot of grocery stores in other wet counties in the state.

Hmmm...this applies to more than just Fayetteville. But not sure where's the best place to post this. Looks like Walgreens is applying to sell beer and wine at all it's stores in wet counties in the state. This will of course be an issue with the Fayetteville Police Chief and Sen Sue Madison. But outside of NWA I wonder if this will even be an issue at all. Seeing as how beer and some wine is already found in a lot of grocery stores in other wet counties in the state.

When's alcohol not an issue with them. I'm sure they've already issued mewling press releases about protecting college "kids".

The Springdale liquor monopolist is still trying to prevent Macadoodles from getting their license too.

It's been talked about for quite a while now. But looks like paid parking will be coming to Dickson St this summer. From what I heard probably in July. I know a lot of people will complain about it. But if this is what it takes to help raise funding so that we can build some parking garages near Dickson St and the downtown area, I'm all for it. I've heard some people complain about the inconvenience but from what I heard it sounds like there's a good chance you'll be able to pay with credit and debit cards as well. For those of us who don't keep change on us. $.50 an hour doesn't seem like it's that bad. Most bigger cities charge a lot more than that. I guess it could keep some people away. But I guess I have a hard time imagining that some people will now shun Dickson St because of $.50 an hour.

It's been talked about for quite a while now. But looks like paid parking will be coming to Dickson St this summer. From what I heard probably in July. I know a lot of people will complain about it. But if this is what it takes to help raise funding so that we can build some parking garages near Dickson St and the downtown area, I'm all for it. I've heard some people complain about the inconvenience but from what I heard it sounds like there's a good chance you'll be able to pay with credit and debit cards as well. For those of us who don't keep change on us. $.50 an hour doesn't seem like it's that bad. Most bigger cities charge a lot more than that. I guess it could keep some people away. But I guess I have a hard time imagining that some people will now shun Dickson St because of $.50 an hour.

A uniform system of paid parking is necessary to generate the revenue to improve the the parking situation in the entertainment district. There are businesses away from Dickson Street that use the parking problems in their ads to bring customers to their locations. I've been to Dickson Street on a weekend night and turned around and went home because I couldn't find a place to park by time for my event to start. The tickets and towing problems also keep people away. By having a uniform system of paid parking many of the problems can be eliminated- people that avoid Dickson now may venture into the area.

The convenience factor is very important in paid parking being a success- the idea of paying at any kiosk and possibly by phone are both good ideas. As important for generating support is making sure that all revenue from paid parking goes into improving the the parking situation and isn't used for other programs or to support other organizations.

A uniform system of paid parking is necessary to generate the revenue to improve the the parking situation in the entertainment district. There are businesses away from Dickson Street that use the parking problems in their ads to bring customers to their locations. I've been to Dickson Street on a weekend night and turned around and went home because I couldn't find a place to park by time for my event to start. The tickets and towing problems also keep people away. By having a uniform system of paid parking many of the problems can be eliminated- people that avoid Dickson now may venture into the area.

The convenience factor is very important in paid parking being a success- the idea of paying at any kiosk and possibly by phone are both good ideas. As important for generating support is making sure that all revenue from paid parking goes into improving the the parking situation and isn't used for other programs or to support other organizations.

I certainly agree with you. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with some people already complaining about the paid parking. I suppose it's an easy knee jerk reaction. You're used to going and parking for free then someone announces you have to start paying. Hopefully people will learn the facts and that this is basically to help pay for future parking decks in the downtown area. Rates are cheap. I suppose the one thing could could cause problems is if the city doesn't make it convenient. But it sounds like credit and debits cards will be usable options. I don't know, if you can't afford to pay a few bucks to park to go down to Dickson St, is Dickson St where you really need to be?

What's in store for the private parking lots? Making things standardized is all well and good but I don't think the city can just tell them to stop booting and towing.

In the end that area will continue to have more parking demand than supply and the issue will look much the same 10 or 20 years from now. It's just the way it is when a certain density is reached.

& Mith your comment that people who can't afford parking shouldn't be there isn't quite the issue to me. It's that more paid parking has the potential to push people away in a general way-"not dickson, it's such a hassle--let's go to the mall instead."

I certainly agree with you. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with some people already complaining about the paid parking. I suppose it's an easy knee jerk reaction. You're used to going and parking for free then someone announces you have to start paying. Hopefully people will learn the facts and that this is basically to help pay for future parking decks in the downtown area. Rates are cheap. I suppose the one thing could could cause problems is if the city doesn't make it convenient. But it sounds like credit and debits cards will be usable options. I don't know, if you can't afford to pay a few bucks to park to go down to Dickson St, is Dickson St where you really need to be?

Edited by aerotive

What's in store for the private parking lots? Making things standardized is all well and good but I don't think the city can just tell them to stop booting and towing.

In the end that area will continue to have more parking demand than supply and the issue will look much the same 10 or 20 years from now. It's just the way it is when a certain density is reached.

& Mith your comment that people who can't afford parking shouldn't be there isn't quite the issue to me. It's that more paid parking has the potential to push people away in a general way-"not dickson, it's such a hassle--let's go to the mall instead."

Good point. Although I guess right now some people might be avoiding Dickson because it's a hassle now because parking spaces tend to be hard to come by. Also a few things I wanted to clarify on. Prices aren't set yet, they are just suggestions at the moment. That and the $.50 an hour rate was the daytime rate suggested. Nighttime rates have been suggested at $1.00 an hour.

Good point. Although I guess right now some people might be avoiding Dickson because it's a hassle now because parking spaces tend to be hard to come by. Also a few things I wanted to clarify on. Prices aren't set yet, they are just suggestions at the moment. That and the $.50 an hour rate was the daytime rate suggested. Nighttime rates have been suggested at $1.00 an hour.

Dickson has really gotten to the point where parking is a pain. I went down tonight about 7:30 pm and I parked up on Block. Same thing last weekend. We eventually need that garage, and the best way to pay for it is through parking fees. I think that paid parking might cause a small drop off in patrons to Dickson, but in the long run, Dickson is going to keep growing.

This is primarily about long term parking solutions. Its not about profit.

Dickson has really gotten to the point where parking is a pain. I went down tonight about 7:30 pm and I parked up on Block. Same thing last weekend. We eventually need that garage, and the best way to pay for it is through parking fees. I think that paid parking might cause a small drop off in patrons to Dickson, but in the long run, Dickson is going to keep growing.

This is primarily about long term parking solutions. Its not about profit.

Yeah, if you are willing to walk a bit there is plenty of free parking to be found. It's the convenience factor that is creating the demand for paid parking and a deck being constructed. If the plan is implemented the way that is proposed with an easy way to pay, allowances for district residents and employees and time graduated rates it should be a success and provide a revenue stream that can be used to build a deck.

Yeah, if you are willing to walk a bit there is plenty of free parking to be found. It's the convenience factor that is creating the demand for paid parking and a deck being constructed. If the plan is implemented the way that is proposed with an easy way to pay, allowances for district residents and employees and time graduated rates it should be a success and provide a revenue stream that can be used to build a deck.

Yeah I forgot to reply to aerotive's reply earlier. But yeah private lots can do what they want with their parking. All of this will only apply to public lots. Granted that makes up a big part of what's on Dickson. But there is other parking around. I do feel a bit sorry for some of the people who live somewhat close to Dickson St. Unfortunately you'll have some people who will start parking along the residential streets in that area just to avoid the 'inconvenience' of paying.

Yeah I forgot to reply to aerotive's reply earlier. But yeah private lots can do what they want with their parking. All of this will only apply to public lots. Granted that makes up a big part of what's on Dickson. But there is other parking around. I do feel a bit sorry for some of the people who live somewhat close to Dickson St. Unfortunately you'll have some people who will start parking along the residential streets in that area just to avoid the 'inconvenience' of paying.

Actualy, there will be a resident parking permit system that will prevent that problem. I'm not sure of the exact details but you won't be able to just park in front of someone's house like now- you will have to use the pay parking areas. The idea is that the city will also manage the existing pay lots. Considering the low rates that will be charged for parking it shouldn't be a big hinderance to anyone. Having a uniform system in place should help tremendously in solving some of the problems there are now.

It will take some getting used to and there will be some problems when it is first implemented. I would hope that the city would implement it right after the university students leave for the summer. That way some of the bugs can be worked out before the crush of student drivers return in the fall. It is going to be a rude awakening for some and the smoother the process can be the better chance of it's success.

Edited by zman9810

Actually, there will be a resident parking permit system that will prevent that problem. I'm not sure of the exact details but you won't be able to just park in front of someone's house like now- you will have to use the pay parking areas. The idea is that the city will also manage the existing pay lots. Considering the low rates that will be charged for parking it shouldn't be a big hindrance to anyone. Having a uniform system in place should help tremendously in solving some of the problems there are now.

It will take some getting used to and there will be some problems when it is first implemented. I would hope that the city would implement it right after the university students leave for the summer. That way some of the bugs can be worked out before the crush of student drivers return in the fall. It is going to be a rude awakening for some and the smoother the process can be the better chance of it's success.

That's good to hear. Some of the problems could just be the fact some people don't deal with change very well. It just doesn't seem like that big of an ordeal to me as the way some are making it out. But as a number of us have already said. I do think this will be beneficial, especially in the long term.

The current projection for the parking deck at the Washington County Courthouse is now this December. I believe it had been scheduled to be completed sometime this fall. But with the problems experienced earlier this year I don't think this comes as any surprise. The construction company has said they'll try to complete this as quickly as possible. But I still wouldn't hold my breath. You never know if other events like weather or such could possibly slow things down.