Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Thats good news. I was just in that area over the weekend and I couldn't help but notice how green and tree-ed that area seems now. Its the combination of the boulevarding of Garland up the hill and the plantings done along the cut-through at Oak Plaza. That entire area used to seem like a concrete wasteland. Now its getting less-so. Hope a nice redevelopment of that parcel keeps things moving in a good direction. The Garland project north of there with the new trees should also really help the appearance of that area.

Thats good news. I was just in that area over the weekend and I couldn't help but notice how green and tree-ed that area seems now. Its the combination of the boulevarding of Garland up the hill and the plantings done along the cut-through at Oak Plaza. That entire area used to seem like a concrete wasteland. Now its getting less-so. Hope a nice redevelopment of that parcel keeps things moving in a good direction. The Garland project north of there with the new trees should also really help the appearance of that area.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm also thinking that the upcoming widening and improvements to Garland may be helping to make the property more appealing to businesses/developers. I've always thought the tree lined boulevard up the hill to Leverett Elementary and the UofA was one of the nicest looking streets, and now that many of the houses and apartments on that section have been remodeled, it's a nice looking area too. With Garland past there getting a face-lift soon, it'd be nice to see some of those properties get redeveloped too, Garland isn't one of the most attractive streets past that intersection right now.

It would be nice to see something happen to that location on Garland. But I'm wondering about the timing. At some point they will eventually start working on widening Garland. I certainly wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from doing something with that property. But after it just sitting there for quite a while it seems like odd timing now. I figured the AHTD would probably end up using that space to put some of their vehicles and such when construction on the road actually begins. They'd be working on Garland between North and Melmar. Not a lot of other open places. Unless you start using the Oak Plaza Shopping Center parking lot of Harp's parking lot. Not sure how either will welcome that idea.

If the widening is going to affect that property, then AHTD will have to buy some of the property for ROW. Since the property will likely need to be reconfigured in order to remain viable, maybe that will factor into a sale and a project there. Ideally a building would face the parking area of Oak Plaza. Reorient it towards the plaza and it becomes less of a hassle to get in and out of. Just a few thoughts. I could see a restaurant like a Waffle House or something working there.

Edited by wmr

If the widening is going to affect that property, then AHTD will have to buy some of the property for ROW. Since the property will likely need to be reconfigured in order to remain viable, maybe that will factor into a sale and a project there. Ideally a building would face the parking area of Oak Plaza. Reorient it towards the plaza and it becomes less of a hassle to get in and out of. Just a few thoughts. I could see a restaurant like a Waffle House or something working there.

I know they've been wanting to realign Mt Comfort Rd. So far I've mainly heard about the section west of Garland. I wonder if they'd like to try to get rid of that other section east of Garland. Make Oak Plaza only accessible from Garland and then Elenita's and Mr Burger from North St. This is just speculation right now, I haven't heard any news on them actually getting rid of that section of Mt Comfort, but I do know AHTD really doesn't like the way Mt Comfort intersects Garland, especially so close to North St. Overall seems like there could be a number of factors in play with that property. Will there be much property left there on that loft after they've taken land away for Garland? Unless they're taking it all away from the other side where Harp's and Arvest is.

I know they've been wanting to realign Mt Comfort Rd. So far I've mainly heard about the section west of Garland. I wonder if they'd like to try to get rid of that other section east of Garland. Make Oak Plaza only accessible from Garland and then Elenita's and Mr Burger from North St. This is just speculation right now, I haven't heard any news on them actually getting rid of that section of Mt Comfort, but I do know AHTD really doesn't like the way Mt Comfort intersects Garland, especially so close to North St. Overall seems like there could be a number of factors in play with that property. Will there be much property left there on that loft after they've taken land away for Garland? Unless they're taking it all away from the other side where Harp's and Arvest is.

It would be nice to see that lot turned into a little park of some type. A pocket park with a little landscaping and trees- maybe some signage for the University.

I saw a permit for the Bliss Organic Cafe which is apparently taking over the short lived Opal Fly space on Center Street.

It appears to be more of a bar/dance studio than the previous incarnation. Sounds somewhat promising. The Opal Fly never served alcohol and tried to be all different kinds of things.

I do wonder if they realize there is a Bliss Cupcake Cafe literally two blocks from their location on the same street....

I saw a permit for the Bliss Organic Cafe which is apparently taking over the short lived Opal Fly space on Center Street.

It appears to be more of a bar/dance studio than the previous incarnation. Sounds somewhat promising. The Opal Fly never served alcohol and tried to be all different kinds of things.

I do wonder if they realize there is a Bliss Cupcake Cafe literally two blocks from their location on the same street....

Maybe it's being done by the same owners. Otherwise it is odd to see a similar name that close to each other.

Maybe it's being done by the same owners. Otherwise it is odd to see a similar name that close to each other.

Yeah hopefully it is. I wonder though why they still wouldn't choose a diffrent name just to differentiate the two businesses.

Unless the cupcake thing is being rolled into this.

• 2 weeks later...

Executive Airport, otherwise known to everyone as Drake Field is still looking to try to regain some commercial flights to the airport. But so far not having much luck. They even looked to Branson but they declined, saying they don't think there would be enough traffic for it to be profitable. But maybe one day we'll have a few commercial flights to the airport again.

Executive Airport, otherwise known to everyone as Drake Field is still looking to try to regain some commercial flights to the airport. But so far not having much luck. They even looked to Branson but they declined, saying they don't think there would be enough traffic for it to be profitable. But maybe one day we'll have a few commercial flights to the airport again.

Seems like a bad idea to go after regularly scheduled commercial flights. They should concentrate on their niche of private aviation and charters. By playing up to their strengths and not trying to be all things to everybody they have a better chance of success.

Seems like a bad idea to go after regularly scheduled commercial flights. They should concentrate on their niche of private aviation and charters. By playing up to their strengths and not trying to be all things to everybody they have a better chance of success.

The bad thing though, can the airport really survive this way? I've gotten the impression they've been struggling. It almost seems like eventually they're going to have to do something.

The bad thing though, can the airport really survive this way? I've gotten the impression they've been struggling. It almost seems like eventually they're going to have to do something.

It's not easy. Their revenue is a fraction of what it was when it was commercial, of course. I could see a budget carrier offering other destinations than XNA succeeding at Drake (Southwest, Frontier, Jet Blue, etc.), but as much as I hate to say this about something in Fayetteville, I'd rather see XNA grow and expand and add those routes than Drake field. NWA needs one good airport, not a decent business/commercial one and a limited service two or three flight a day commercial one.

NWA is still too small of a market, but with another decade or two of growth the discount carriers could become interested. One of their main modes of doing business is using underutilized airports that're willing to make cut-rate landing fee deals. If XNA won't do it in the future, but Drake would, and that's the difference between getting and not getting SW or Jetblue, I'd be for it.

Yeah a lot of it just comes from the fact that Fayetteville is in an odd situation. I think all the core cities in NWA have some sort of airport that they can support. The problem with Fayetteville is that's there's a lot of facilities to keep up for an airport that now does the type of business it does. It used to be the main airport for the area. All those facilities didn't just go away though and the airport sorta has to still keep them in a decent condition. Even if they're not really needed for an airport of that size. Eventually Executive Airport/Drake Field can make some sort of comeback. But like others have said, it's just too soon now. Our metro just isn't quite big enough. I'm just wondering if the airport can keep going till that point occurs.

There's been some talk recently on the forum about the property on the corner of North and Garland. Apparently the owners were trying to get the land rezoned. It's currently C-1 and they were trying to get it rezoned to C-2. But the Planning Commission denied the request. They were concerned with what that property could eventually be used for. I guess what I don't understand is if they're just concerned over some of the potential uses, why not allow the rezoning and then deny those specific requests? The examples used were strip club or liquor store. But as far as I know the owners haven't stated what they intend to use that property for. I'm not saying I think a strip club or liquor store would be great for that location. But I don't quite get why they totally denied the rezoning. What if the owners had other plans? I suppose another question to ask is, what's better an empty building that's been that way for a couple of years or something that might not be appealing like a strip club? I'm not saying I'm for a strip club, but having it sit empty really isn't doing anyone any good either. Also isn't there a church down the street from it? Isn't there something about having a strip club or liquor store in proximity of a church or am I thinking of another city?

There's been some talk recently on the forum about the property on the corner of North and Garland. Apparently the owners were trying to get the land rezoned. It's currently C-1 and they were trying to get it rezoned to C-2. But the Planning Commission denied the request. They were concerned with what that property could eventually be used for. I guess what I don't understand is if they're just concerned over some of the potential uses, why not allow the rezoning and then deny those specific requests? The examples used were strip club or liquor store. But as far as I know the owners haven't stated what they intend to use that property for. I'm not saying I think a strip club or liquor store would be great for that location. But I don't quite get why they totally denied the rezoning. What if the owners had other plans? I suppose another question to ask is, what's better an empty building that's been that way for a couple of years or something that might not be appealing like a strip club? I'm not saying I'm for a strip club, but having it sit empty really isn't doing anyone any good either. Also isn't there a church down the street from it? Isn't there something about having a strip club or liquor store in proximity of a church or am I thinking of another city?

Denying a requested use of property when it fits the zoning would land the city in court. Most recently that issue came up during the sale barn rezoning debacle. The property owners made the point that they could put in something much less desirable than the apartment complex because of the present zoning and the city couldn't deny it. I think it was a mistake to deny the rezoning, especially if it was an attempt to legislate morality. The rezoning would have made the lot more marketable and helped rid the area of an eyesore.

Denying a requested use of property when it fits the zoning would land the city in court. Most recently that issue came up during the sale barn rezoning debacle. The property owners made the point that they could put in something much less desirable than the apartment complex because of the present zoning and the city couldn't deny it. I think it was a mistake to deny the rezoning, especially if it was an attempt to legislate morality. The rezoning would have made the lot more marketable and helped rid the area of an eyesore.

This did take place before the Planning Commission, not the City Council. I'm wondering if this will be taken to the City Council now. In the past we know the City Council has not had the same reaction the Planning Commission has. Maybe I'm not getting the whole story here. But I'm just not quite seeing how they can deny the rezoning on this basis. I'm not trying to make this some big issue. I'm just not quite seeing what lead the commission to this decision. Even if there are some bad plans that can come of the rezoning, it doesn't automatically mean it's going to be a strip club. Unless they know something the rest of us don't.

C2 would require set backs of 50 ft from any street. Its an old zoning classification. I believe that corner is planned to be urban core of some type, meaning multiple stories, mixed uses, in the future land use plan.

The idea of liquor stores and strip clubs are just red herrings, IMO. The city would prefer if the owners requested the change in zoning to the form-based code on the land use map. Instead, the owners want a more flexible zoning classification.

Many things not quite as undesireable as strip clubs or liquor stores would become uses by right under a C-2 zoning.

I like this move by the city, though, because the sooner we get our form-based codes put into place all over town, the better Fayetteville will start looking.

Walked by there yesterday and there was a big for sale sign up, indicating the C1 zoning.

If the owners do want to develop a strip club perhaps that could use the argument that some in Missouri are using:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703438604575314383411381058.html

While strip clubs aren't my thing, I'd rather have one there than a ever-decaying ex-gas station.

Re liquor stores, anyone know of movement by Harps or IGA to start selling liquor? There was talk by Harps execs that somehow Walmart being allowed to sell it would force Harps to do so as well. Far as I know nothing has come of it. Would be nice to be able to buy cooking wine without an additional stop.

Edited by aerotive

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the Block Avenue project. I tried the back in parking- it is very arkward to do plus there was a moped directly behind me and it had to swerve around in order for me to backup. It also feels weird driving over on the left side of the street. It will take some getting used to and I would be surprised if this type parking catches on in Fayettevile- I could see people avoiding that area just because of the parking.

DSC_0634.jpg